iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thought I'd introduce myself

Started by Mark Emig, October 06, 2012, 06:36:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeb1079

mark you will LOVE having a sawmill.  i guarantee it.

also welcome   8)
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

drobertson

Mark, going from wood to metal, and back again, and then bringing them together is just awsome. It boils down to tools, materials, and the nack for the trade, looks like you got it man.  There are those that dream, and those that wake up and remember the dream.  I worked steel for  close to 30 years, but never the blacksmith area, although I always wanted to, you are an insperation,  thanks,    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Okrafarmer

Welcome, Mark! I think you will love your Peterson once you have it all figured out. Did you say it is a 9" cut? I didn't realize they made a 9. Lots of fun. I'd like to have a Peterson myself one day, with slabber bar.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Magicman

Quote from: thecfarm on October 06, 2012, 08:55:44 PM
Magicman add 12 more to that. :( 

:-[  I guess that I was too busy eating grits to count.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fat olde elf

Welcome !  Metal and wood, nice work.  My son does some metal sculpture and I admire that talent.
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

Woodchuck53

Welcome a board Mark. You'll like it here. Is the good looking bench your own design? Do you have your own forge equipment? We like pictures, we are a very visual group. Chuck
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

WildDog

Welcome Mark, thats a great piece of work, wood and iron as a rustic piece is a good match. Looking forward to more pics of your pieces.

I like to muck about at the forge,  mucking about is the extent of it, I don't have a power hammer, I did get the plans for a treadle and hope to fabricate it in the near future.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

redbeard

Welcome Mark!   blacksmith and wood is a good combo, you can always find one Artist but not both in one Artist. Do you make custom beam fastener hardware? I like the House jewelry name.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Mark Emig

OK-where to start?? First, my apologies for the delay in replying, got a case of the shingles (not the roof kind) that has had me down for a bit.
      The Bench-yes, it's my design. Made the twist by chiseling a groove in the 4 corners of the bar hot (2000 or so degrees F), then just grab the bar in the vise and take a wrench and twist. Steel is very "plastic" when hot.
      As for my shop-I have a fully equipped shop-only thing I need more of is space! 110 lb air hammer, 3 ton screw press, benders, rollers, twisters plus a decent machine shop-milling machine, lathe (well,2), metal spinning lathe, surface grinder etc. Plus all the goodies for woodworking-10 in left tilt saw w/incra fence, 8 in delta joiner, 16 in planer, williams and hussey molder planer, router table with incra fence and a bunch of festool goodies. I am a lucky fellow-lots of fun toys er-I mean tools..
    As for the Peterson-the 9 inch is an old,early version. Age really doesn't matter-it's a simple sturdy design that is mainly stainless and aluminum with a Honda motor.
     Yes I will do custom brackets and such-I can do pretty much anything in metal (and soon to start adding the wood stuff.
     I just showed my daughter the prelim drawing of her playhouse-she's thrilled!
     Thank you all for the compliments!
                                                     Cheers,
                                                               Mark

mad murdock

Welcome to the Forestry Forum!  That is some nice custom work!! The milling experience will really round out your skill set and blow your world wide open as to the things you will be able to create now.  Can't wait to see some of your creations.  Nice work indeed! 8) 8)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

blackfoot griz

I like combining steel & wood.  I am no blacksmith, but enjoy making things using wood & steel

A simple desk using steel & hickory plywood:

A simple stand using scrap steel, expanded metal and hickory

Not fancy or elaborate, but functional!

clww

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Mark Emig. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Magicman

Nice design griz, looks good.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on October 09, 2012, 05:52:40 PM
Nice design griz, looks good.   :)

You ALMOST called him Grits.......didn't you?  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

blackfoot griz

I've been called worse...I think  :D

Sixacresand

Welcome to forum Mark,  Nice work.  Look forward to you posts.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Thank You Sponsors!