iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wildlife Water Source Fouling

Started by TimRB, August 24, 2012, 10:58:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimRB

There is a pipe on our water system that has a slow drip.  Rather than fix it (lazy, yes) I put a large bowl under it to make a watering hole for passing animals.  It's been there for years and has gotten good business, although I have never actually seen anybody drinking.  Lately, though, some animal has been intentionally fouling the water by crapping in it.  It has happened three times. 

Possible suspects: dog, cat, bobcat, cougar, raccoon, coyote, fox.

I'm looking for a large-ish animal, definitely not a deer.  No hair in the scat, so coyote, bobcat, and cougar may be less likely.  I've never heard of a dog doing anything like this, but...

Anyway, does anyone have any ideas?  I may actually set up a game camera just to see if I can find the culprit.

Edit:  Game cam on order--I'll post pics if I get anything good.

Tim

Dustin

I think a game camera would be a great thing to set up. Not only would you see what is causing the problem but get to see all the animals using the water bowl. I think it would be neat to see what animals use it as a regular water source.
Richardson Sawmill
'20 Wood-Mizer LT50HD Wide
Husqvarna 390XP and 450 chainsaws

Just getting started but already know I have an addiction problem.

florida

Racoons will do that. Nasty critters.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

Slabs

Toads have a surprisingly large stool and they will definately get in the bowl and pass one.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

WildDog

I run Marremas livestock guardian dogs in my back country and currently have a red fox doing just that in one feed bowl ??? I am putting 1080 baits in the adjoining paddocks this week. Down here the difference between a fox and Dingo scat is the size of the bones in the scat.

Game cam sounds like the go.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Thank You Sponsors!