iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bandmill Builds

Started by bandmiller2, April 14, 2015, 08:38:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

If I was building another bandmill this is how I would do it. 1) use two browning 20" single groove "B" series pulleys, taper lock. 2) build most of the mill with 2"x 1/4" thick square tube. 3) sawhead would be like the letter "H" with long legs laying flat in the middle would be the engine on a steel plate in line with the drive pulley with a centrifugal clutch. The same belt that goes from the engine clutch the band rides on. The pulleys would have a pillow block bearing each side, one pair adjustable with a screw and heavy spring. It would require only short shafts between the bearings and they would be well supported. 4) the head could ride up and down on the square tube with the next size tube riding over it, If there was too much play drill and tap the sliders for nylon bolts to take up slop. 5) Head could be lifted with a boat trailer winch and cable, locked in position with the pawl. 6) Carriage run on inverted angle iron and "V" castor wheels. 7) Hydraulics and power assist to taste. Feel free to add opinions Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

bandmiller2

I should have added a large electric motor would be the preferred power. Frank C.

Rougespear

This sounds exactly like my Linn-style carriage... to a tea!
Custom built Cook's-style hydraulic bandmill.

Kurban

I am in the process of building a mill. I am done with the carriage and the rails; just need to add the saw head. I gathered a lot  of information over time and the easiest plan for me was the Linn Lumber sawmill. I purchased some plans from ebay from a Texas guy but they were way too complicated. I have no relation to Lin nLumber but they are nice and will answer any question.

sal.

valley ranch

Pictures, Picture!!!!!!!!!!

There be some of us what needs pictures..

boscojmb

Plywood band wheel covers would be on my short list of must have's.

The plywood covers may look primitave, but they will stop a broken band before it can escape through the sawdust chute (or anywhere else) and come in contact with a person.
John B.

Log-Master LM4

bandmiller2

As John says plywood covers will help stop the band but also save it. Its just a matter of time before a band will come off the wheels the ply will stop it with minimal damage. Frank C.

Thank You Sponsors!