iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building Without Nails

Started by thechknhwk, September 25, 2015, 04:40:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thechknhwk

Brian_Weekley

Very beautiful and a great example of traditional craftsmanship.  So Chicken Hawk, are you ready to rebuild that barn without all those metal brackets and bolts?  LOL   :D
e aho laula

Hilltop366

jimdad07

Just waiting on parts at work right now and watched the video.  That is amazing stuff, think I'll go home and burn all of my power tools......

Well......maybe I'll think about burning my power tools.
Hudson HFE 30 Homesteader bandmill w/28' of track
Couple tractors, a bunch of chainsaws and not enough time to use them.

Hilltop366

I read a book this winter my wife got me for Christmas, it is called "The Unplugged Woodshop" so later on feeling all inspired I got out my biggest hand plane to flatten out a birch glue up made a few swipes with the plane put the plane down and turned on the drum sander and continued on as if I was normal.

thechknhwk

Quote from: Brian_Weekley on September 25, 2015, 09:31:53 AM
Very beautiful and a great example of traditional craftsmanship.  So Chicken Hawk, are you ready to rebuild that barn without all those metal brackets and bolts?  LOL   :D

Yeah, I'm going to start tearing it down tomorrow :notworthy  :D :D

kristingreen

Windyhill

Thanks for sharing. My fist thought was I hardly had time to watch it. After watching it I thought man I need to slow down and enjoy life. I never seem to have time to do any of the projects that I want to in the shop, only work for customers.

Justin Bailey

Yes, thank you for sharing this, I viewed the video over a month ago, and one of the things I find most notable, is the 'master' stating how if wood that is to be used vertically, it will be and remain the most stable if positioned in the same, up/down relative orientation as it was found growing.  I was wondering who among us can clearly through whatever means, identify the true vertical orientation of any or all lumber in this respect.  I jokingly, seriously, comfortably, competitively, and abstractly surmise the conclusion that this 'eastern wisdom' may be trumped in North America due to the fact that we can dig a more relatively vertical hole to china, than whatever wabi sabi or feng shui ascension might prevail in asia. Than that which couldn't occur in Japan, respectively.  pull_smiley, but what do I know. I in no means mean to disrespect this teaching, but in my framework, I am not of the experience to know the difference with what lies in a lumber yard, I just mean to spare general worry this might create in anyone's mind or my own. If I in fact knew or could determine what direction a particular piece of lumber would be best used to observe this 'doctrine', I would definitely opt to do so and follow it, even if for nothing more that whatever good luck it may deliver. smiley_confused help_me smiley_anxious

Can anyone say they have profound knowledge or experience that confirms this in the west?

canopy

If a longish timber has any sapwood then comparing end grains is a tell tale top/bottom indicator. Perhaps not as common, but there are western timber framers that follow the top side up orientation rule.

It's a fallacy that if you dig a hole straight down from the US then you hit China. It's not even close. First clue is that anytime you dig straight down from the northern hemisphere, you'll end up somewhere in the southern hemisphere. China and the US are both in the northern hemisphere.

Justin Bailey

Quote from: canopy on October 17, 2015, 09:05:09 PM
It's a fallacy that if you dig a hole straight down from the US then you hit China. It's not even close. First clue is that anytime you dig straight down from the northern hemisphere, you'll end up somewhere in the southern hemisphere. China and the US are both in the northern hemisphere.

True, but relatively straighter, imparting a wry sense of humor. Sorry for my nonsense.   smiley_alcoholic_01 smiley_goofy_face

On a serious note, I heard that moisture escapes end grain either 500 times faster or 500% faster, than side grain, maybe it also does this differently on the 'top' end vs. bottom, and or perhaps also, wicks moisture differently, which could say something one way or the other about vertical orientation stability. I don't know, maybe that could contribute to the reasoning or evidence?

Thank You Sponsors!