iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Forum intro - Aspiring Sawyer trapped in the Northern Virginia suburbs...

Started by RedLeg, March 26, 2010, 09:07:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedLeg

Been lurking a short while... this is truely a great community.  I'm a retired Army officer in my second career (IT Exec) but planning ahead for my "retirement career".  Born and raised on a farm in the Adirondacks, I grew up learning how to use our woodlands for building materials, barns, fences and an operating Sugarbush.  Logging kept me in spending money throughout high school and college.  Twenty-four years in the Army took me around a bit and left me in Northern Virginia.  I do some wood turning as a hobby and through the search for logs for turning I started looking at urban logging and that led me here.

I'm trying to take a measured approach but the more I read and research, the more challenging it becomes to resist the "just jump in" method.  To that end, I'd like to find out if any of the Sawyers in Northern Virginia or Maryland would trade an apprenticeship/mentoring opportunity for free, reliable and safety conscious labor?  I'm not looking to start a business anytime soon, just learn the profession and then get myself a mill that I could use for my own needs and transition into a part-time job once the time and location was right.

As many have stated, there is a wealth of information in all the categories here in the forum but that will only take me so far.  Practical, hands-on training and experience from a professional with a passion for their work can't be replaced.  As I mentioned in my intro, I'm located in the suburbs and as such, the idea of just buying a mill and getting some logs to turn into firewood while I learn won't work for me.  I'm interested in the viability of low impact logging and custom sawmilling for small land owners or in an urban area.  It seems like there would be opportunities to save a lot of useable lumber from the chipper or the fireplace.  Thank you all for such a great community.

Leif
Leif
Retired U.S. Army
2010 Lumber Smith Elite and Track Kit
Shopsmith Mark 7 PowerPro

Magicman

Welcome to The Forestry Forum.  What a great place to "Practice Retirement"........ :P    8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishpharmer

RedLeg, glad to have you here.  Thank you for your military service.  Are you a duck hunter? We called the new wave of migrating mallards with the bright, almost red legs........."redlegs." 

Hang around a while your bound to make some friends.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Dan_Shade

Welcome, redleg!  You're not too far from me (compared to many on the forum).  You have a good game plan, there are a few members in your extended area.

I've recently started turning, I've been focusing on spindle turning. 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Don K

Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

ErikC

I also wondered if you're a duck hunter :D But either way, welcome to the forum :) :)
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

ARKANSAWYER

I was in the Army and I know what a Redleg is.  It was when they were a little "short" that I was not so happy with them.  But when it came time to "fire for effect" you could have no better friends.  So what kind of shell shucker is he?
  You can come to Arkansas and get a sawing education and then we can go trout fishing.
  Welcome and be very careful.  Sawdust can adversely effect some peple and they get in way over their head.
ARKANSAWYER

RedLeg

Quote from: ErikC on March 27, 2010, 12:17:05 PM
I also wondered if you're a duck hunter :D But either way, welcome to the forum :) :)
Thanks for the welcome... grew up hunting and fishing, including ducks, but the "RedLeg" is slang for my Army branch, Field Artillery.  In earlier uniforms, Field Artillerymen wore a red stripe down the outside seam of there pants to identify them from other soldiers and cavalrymen on the battlefields. Hence the term "RedLeg" was born and one we "Cannon Cockers" all wear with pride.
Leif
Retired U.S. Army

fishpharmer

Thanks, Redleg for the education.  That's one of the really cool things about this place, learning new stuff and sharing.  See ya around 8) 8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

zopi

Quote from: ARKANSAWYER on March 27, 2010, 01:20:06 PM
  I was in the Army and I know what a Redleg is.  It was when they were a little "short" that I was not so happy with them.  But when it came time to "fire for effect" you could have no better friends.  So what kind of shell shucker is he?
  You can come to Arkansas and get a sawing education and then we can go trout fishing.
  Welcome and be very careful.  Sawdust can adversely effect some peple and they get in way over their head.

Was gonna that.

AB 1005, left 05, add 150, up/down, no change, fire, over.

no change, in effect, 10 rounds, heat, fire over,

Splash out.

One of my favorite games.

Welcome from the waterborne side of the house...we have a few folks up in your neck of the woods..I'm way down in smithvegas...I'd imagine we will get together about the time I retire..one stinking more deployment to go.

My advice...yer doing it right..play with several mills, then don't settle for anything less than what you want. God knows we spend too much time settling for stuff, to do it where it counts. :D
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

backwoods sawyer

Quote from: zopi on March 27, 2010, 02:39:33 PM
My advice...yer doing it right..play with several mills, then don't settle for anything less than what you want. God knows we spend too much time settling for stuff, to do it where it counts. :D
Welcome I got to agree with Zopi, that is why I got the LT-70. But no matter which mill you take a liking to if you get her stuck I will be just over the hill with the 578 or the 88.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

davidlarson

Welcome, Redleg.  You will likely be surprised and amazed at the knowledge and information available from members of this forum.  I have asked several questions on subjects that seemed obscure even to me, and have received thoughtful and informed responses, even from members across the country (USA) and around the world.  A member from New Zealand (ianab), for example, somehow seems to have access to detailed knowledge about topics on the other side of the globe -- my opinion is that he is one of many on this forum whose messages are usually well worth reading.
I retired from the Army Reserve (Medical Corps) about 5 years ago, and from my civilian job about one month ago, and finally have the time and resources to start working in the woods.  I know a fellow who makes his living with his WoodMizer, and I believe he'll let me work WOC (without compensation) as his gofer until I am able to operate my own WoodMizer, so you and I may have some of the same interests.
Anyway, welcome to the forum.  I'm sure I'm not the only newbie who would like to hear about your adventures as you start your next career.  Best of luck.
David L.  (LTC, MC, USAR) 

zopi

Quote from: backwoods sawyer on March 27, 2010, 09:13:40 PM
Quote from: zopi on March 27, 2010, 02:39:33 PM
Welcome I got to agree with Zopi, that is why I got the LT-70. But no matter which mill you take a liking to if you get her stuck I will be just over the hill with the 578 or the 88.

yeah..I have an lt-15...thought it would be enough mill for the hobby thing..nahhh...thing I found out, was that for what I want to do (plus my lousy back) I need hydraulics.

Best of both worlds, I would have an 8" lucas swinger and a hydraulic woodmizer...I do so hate to see those giant old trees go by the wayside...I have had to pass up alot of good treecycling...:D
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

woodpeckerlips

hello redleg.
I'm in stafford virginia. i run a old frick 00 circle mill.  just converted it over from flat belt to v-belt this weekend.   it's a 3 man operation at a minimum. if you like to come check my old mill out in action, your welcome.   i'm from louisiana, got out of the marines here at quantico and live here now.  their's a frick 01 mill at a freinds house about 2 miles from me in operation also.   got a lead on a small circle mill this weekend at a auction.  dont let these rubber band mill guys talk you into their cult!!!     i'm not on the computer much, but i'll check back to see if your interested. if so i'll give you my #.   welcome to the forum!

Raider Bill

Artillery lends dignity to what otherwise would be a bloody brawl!

Welcome!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

RedLeg

Quote from: woodpeckerlips on March 29, 2010, 10:02:27 AM
  hello redleg.
I'm in stafford virginia. i run a old frick 00 circle mill.  just converted it over from flat belt to v-belt this weekend.   it's a 3 man operation at a minimum. if you like to come check my old mill out in action, your welcome.   i'm from louisiana, got out of the marines here at quantico and live here now.  their's a frick 01 mill at a freinds house about 2 miles from me in operation also.   got a lead on a small circle mill this weekend at a auction.  dont let these rubber band mill guys talk you into their cult!!!     i'm not on the computer much, but i'll check back to see if your interested. if so i'll give you my #.   welcome to the forum!

Thank you very much for offer...  ;D I'd like to see your set-up and help out if possible.  Since I'm firmly established in the Prince William County suburbs, a portable mill that fits into my garage will probably be the way I have to end up going (can't even park a trailer in the driveway for longer than a weekend without the HOA police getting fired up >:().  But I learned long ago that once you learn the fundamentals of a job, you can apply them across multiple systems or platforms.  I'll send you my contact info by PM.
Leif
Retired U.S. Army

woodpeckerlips

probly gonna run the mill this weekend. if i do i'll call you.   just converted it over to v-belts last weekend,   i want to go over the whole mill, grease, plumb, straighten, stringline, ect. everything this week so i'll be ready for this weekend.  i've also got to get alot of logs up to the mill. i need about 20000 linear ft of 1x6's.  i've got 300 post ready to start putting in the ground tomorrow.   if i dont get all jambed up. i intend to cut alot of lumber this weekend.  incase i forget to call you. i'll pm you my # so if your not doing anything and want to come check it out you can call and see what i'm doing. driving post or running the mill>   

submarinesailor

RedLeg,

Where at in Manassas?  During the week I work in the DLA building at Fort Belvoir and live just behind the Manassas K-Mart, down by the barn.  On the week ends I'm down in Syria, Virginia.  If you know where Graves Mountain Lodge is, we are the next place up river from the lodge.

Also, one of just a few retired military here on the site.

Bruce

RedLeg

Quote from: submarinesailor on March 31, 2010, 12:26:59 PM
RedLeg,

Where at in Manassas?  During the week I work in the DLA building at Fort Belvoir and live just behind the Manassas K-Mart, down by the barn.  On the week ends I'm down in Syria, Virginia.  If you know where Graves Mountain Lodge is, we are the next place up river from the lodge.

Also, one of just a few retired military here on the site.

Bruce
I'm down Rt234 near Independent Hill, actually live in "the county" but the mailing address goes by Manassas.  Seems like there's a fair amount of prior service folks on here.
Leif
Retired U.S. Army

Thank You Sponsors!