iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Apple tree wood

Started by JustinW_NZ, October 24, 2012, 05:47:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Left Coast Chris

Just had some home made apple turnovers from Rome Beauties.  Really tastey.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

JustinW_NZ

What are the main types of apples in the states?
The area I live in grows a lot of apples but there generaly the modern types which just seem very sweet. - Jazz and envy

Cheers
Justin

Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

SwampDonkey

Cortland and Macintosh are the varieties that store good and int he stores all winter. The early apples like yellow transparent, New Brunswicker, Gravastein, and a few others are better for cooking and sauce. We also get some imports here that are real firm apples that taste fine but too hard for my tastes. Plus they are super expensive. Pass. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

JustinW_NZ

Quote from: SwampDonkey on October 27, 2012, 04:03:47 AM
Cortland and Macintosh are the varieties that store good and int he stores all winter. The early apples like yellow transparent, New Brunswicker, Gravastein, and a few others are better for cooking and sauce. We also get some imports here that are real firm apples that taste fine but too hard for my tastes. Plus they are super expensive. Pass. ;D

I would be surprised if some are from NZ here as its a major export  :D
That gota be crisp and cruncy coz thats how apples should be :)

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

SwampDonkey

No, our apple imports are from the US.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

paula reds are in this area,yellow and red delicious,Granny smith.We usually don't buy many apples from a store. We have a few small orchards close by. The wife will can and freeze what she things we need.There is one that store apples and have them through the winter that we buy from. I do read about small orchards trying to bring back the old types.We had a lot of trees around here at one time. But these are or would be about 100 years old now. The few that are alive are not doing too good.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Left Coast Chris

The newer varieties in Ca are Fuji and Gala along with a variety for warmer climates I believe is Honey Crisp.   The big apple producing state in the Western US is Washington so our area is not the leader in apple production out here.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

SwampDonkey

A lot of the orchards here closed up over the years. Folks got old and retired, young blood figured other things were important. Some new start ups with government money sprang up here and there over the years and soon went bye bye as most government assistance seems to go around here. Get a new truck or tractor out of it and that's how it's spent. But most old farms had their own apple orchards up here anyway and those are all way too old or gone now to. A young family next door that bought that farm not long ago started a little small orchard as one of the first things they planted. I planted some trees here 28 years ago I guess. I don't spray, so of course they are full of railroad worm. The old varieties don't tend to get scab, at least these never seem to.

Okrafarmer

In the store, the ones you will constantly find, are red delicious, golden (yellow) delicious, macintosh (aka macintrash), granny smith, ida red, fiji, and gala.

If you go to the orchard, you can get all kinds of good stuff. My all-time favorite is Gravenstein, but it's hard to find.

We live in the peach belt, which merges with the apple belt and the orange belt. You can't grow oranges in the apple belt, or vice versa. At least most variants. A few apple variants are able to grow where oranges grow, but the only place I ever saw that, was in Victoria. It really wierded me out when I saw apples growing across the road from oranges!

We live near the place where apples peter out of the peach belt. Just to the north of us, in the mountains, they grow a fair few apples. A lot of which are consumed locally.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

thecfarm

We had one orchard close by,someone brought it and dug up the trees and grew corn to sell.Than a batch of woods they are turning into a field. Maybe funded by state money??I thought it might of been a field at one time,but saw all the rocks in in and that changed my mind. Than another orchard is being sold for house lots,Orchard View Estates. There goes another orchard. That makes 3 gone.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Okrafarmer on October 27, 2012, 12:14:09 PM
In the store, the ones you will constantly find, are red delicious, golden (yellow) delicious, macintosh (aka macintrash), granny smith, ida red, fiji, and gala.

If you go to the orchard, you can get all kinds of good stuff. My all-time favorite is Gravenstein, but it's hard to find.

We live in the peach belt, which merges with the apple belt and the orange belt. You can't grow oranges in the apple belt, or vice versa. At least most variants. A few apple variants are able to grow where oranges grow, but the only place I ever saw that, was in Victoria. It really wierded me out when I saw apples growing across the road from oranges!

We live near the place where apples peter out of the peach belt. Just to the north of us, in the mountains, they grow a fair few apples. A lot of which are consumed locally.

Pretty much the same here and Gravastein is not hard to find here, the orchard here has it. Cortland is common here all winter in the stores from the local grower. Macintosh is an old variety and there is actually an improved Macintosh that grandfather has in his house orchard. The veins in the flesh are red and a little of the red, actually a pink hue is in a little of the outter flesh area. Trouble is as I said before the trees are not sprayed, so railroad worms.

With young cattle pastured in the orchards they kept the windfalls ate and reduced railroad worms. They winter in the ground after the apples drop.

Solomon

A lot of folks use it in thier smokers to cook pork and turkey.  I mix it with hickory and do ribs for about six hours at 200-225 degrees.
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

SwampDonkey

Used to be here at the house in the old orchard what we called winter apples. They would stay on the tree until almost Christmas. Big red apples on the hard side and big as softballs. Pine grosbeaks and partridge liked them. It was dad's uncle who planted the orchard here at his grandfather's place and all the yard trees at the time. He lived to be over 100, died in 1996. The yard maple we cut this spring he planted also.

Okrafarmer

My grandfather had several apple trees at his house, various kinds. He couldn't always pick or keep up with them all. Sometimes my cousin and I would play "base-apple." We enjoyed pitching the apples and splattering them with the bat. These were usually apples we found on the ground with worms or rot in them.  ;D
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Thank You Sponsors!