iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timberjack Radiator removal

Started by Spartan, March 04, 2016, 10:37:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spartan

I have a TJ 450A (older one) that I need to remove the radiator.
Anyone done that, maybe on a similar model?

I have it all apart to take out the top and its loose.  Just need some extra hands on Monday because it is HEAVY for one guy.

I can't tell if there is anything to remove on the under side of the radiator or if it just sets in.  I undid the side bolts (all threads).  Just wondering if something is underneath that would keep it in that I can't see.  I looked in my parts diagram but it doesn't show anything.

Thanks
Detroit btw.

Stephen Alford

Been having rad issues for some time as well.  May not be of much help as mine is a C5D Tree Farmer. I place a plastic barrel in front of the machine and strap it so it does not move, gives something to stand on. Rap a couple of ropes around the rad top to bottom.  Makes lifting it out a lot easier when you have something to grab holt of.
   My rad is old  and was not able to get a fix that would last longer than a month. Hate to see the antifreeze dribbling out.  Looked at a lot of rads but unable to find one.  Went with an all aluminum rad, heavy duty for a stock car. It had been ordered and never picked up.  Unlike some that seem to have plastic the  all  aluminum and new ; welded well , my buddy did a fantastic job of  the the pipe ends and side pieces. Took only minutes to drill new holes in the skidder.  Lowered it in with one hand , what a treat.  I realize this is not likely the responce you were looking for but thought it might be an option  for someone with rad grief reading this thread.  Good luck with your repair hope it goes well.   :)

logon

CCC4

I'm pretty sure it is just the side bolts.

Spartan

Quote from: CCC4 on March 05, 2016, 08:51:28 PM
I'm pretty sure it is just the side bolts.

I'm thinking so too as it is loose.  Thanks

Quote from: Stephen Alford on March 05, 2016, 08:27:08 PMLooked at a lot of rads but unable to find one.  Went with an all aluminum rad, heavy duty for a stock car.

Good input.  Let us know how it goes as time goes on.  These old iron machines can be hard to find parts for.  I thought about a retrofit as well.
but for now I just need to blast out all the oil that has plugged mine.  I will deal with the leak when I get more moolah.

Spartan

If anyone cares, there are two carriage bolts in the bottom.  Makes it really hard to lift out if those are still attatched smiley_headscratch

Neilo

Thank You Sponsors!