iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hood Slasher problem

Started by adirondack harvester, October 29, 2008, 01:57:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adirondack harvester

I recently bought a Hood loader (S-182) with a Hood circle saw slasher, but the problem I'm having is the blade isn't turning fast enough so sometimes it will stick when cutting the logs.  I don't know how to adjust or what to adjust to get the saw speed up.  The pump has plenty of oil and even when I kick up the engine RPM it has little effect.  The only adjustment I know of is the control box under the blade.  Anyone have any experience with this or what I can try to get this working?  I was told the blade should increase speed as the blade comes up to cut too?

Gary_C

I am not familiar with that slasher drive, but if it is a hydraulic drive and it is not running fast enough, chances are it is either the hydraulic pump or motor. There is a slight chance it has an air lock in the lines to the pump, but if if does turn some that's probably not a good sign.

Could be a relief valve too, if one exists in the circuit.

Otherwise take first the pump in and have it flow and pressure tested and then the same for the hydraulic motor.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

twobears

are the bearings for the saw blade good?? i,ve seen those go bad and slow the saw down.

delbert

vtbuckslayer

we have the same loader you speak of with the circular saw.  the saw has similar issues that you speak of.  it starts out good but has to be takin out of the wood to let the revs kick back up.  some of the bigger stuff can be a real pain. kind of an interesting question wouldnt mind hereing a ltitle more info on this issue or if its just the way the machine is manufactured.
ms 390 20", ms 441 24"
00 big bear 4x4(lots of extras)
98 polaris indy triple
98 gmc k 1500 4x4

ADAMINMO

Here is the website, give them a call and ask the service dept about the problem you are having. It is worth a shot.
http://www.hoodloaders.com/products.htm

Jeff

We'd have the sticking problem on the slasher I ran out in the woods when it simply needed new cutters.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

twobears

yep jeff:if the bits get worn it,ll stick..

delbert

Ron Scott

~Ron

adirondack harvester

I appreciate all the ideas given so far.  I think I may have figured it out... well maybe.  I found the control box by the saw itself and I found out that I should set it at 2 or 2.5.  I had it set all the way open.  Now I just need to dial it in to the correct position.   I think I had a good seeting, but the control box keeps falling down and knocking out my setting.  I solved that today by chaining it around the frame.  Next time I go use it I will try another setting.  The blade is turning at 1250-1300 RPM now so I think I'm close.  One question I still have is the blade supposed to speed up as the blade comes up and into the wood or just keep one constant speed?

Reddog

All of the ones I have seen where constant speed.

Thank You Sponsors!