iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ordered another LOGRITE tool!

Started by Nomad, June 09, 2012, 08:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nomad

Got a Logrite peavey, cant hook, and 2 or 3 mill specials.  But I'm sick to death of doing jobs for homeowners and busting my hump helping them move logs around back yards.  So a couple of days ago I bit the bullet and ordered a Logrite fetching arch.  The last straw was that the next 2 jobs I've got lined up couldn't be done without one; there's just no way.  So both jobs are on hold until my new toy tool shows up.  It'll get a workout the next day!
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Magicman

Good for you.  Under your circumstances, that will be a very valuable piece of equipment.  Have you decided how you will charge for it's use, or whether it will just be part of the job?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Brad_bb

Shoulda put a link to the product in this post.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Nomad

Brad, good idea.  http://www.logrite.com/fetchingarch.html

MM, I'm not quite sure how I'll do that yet. 
     In both of these instances the logs would be wasted without it.  The first is a fenced back yard.  I can't use the Lucas either 'cause it's a pretty steep slope.  The logs have to come out.
     In the second I can get my Mizer into the yard, but the logs are scattered all over the place and I can't maneuver the mill to the logs; the logs got to come to the mill.  It is also too restricted to set up the Lucas around the logs without moving them, so...
     In a case like this, where I'm gonna spend hours with specialized equipment to even make it possible to saw the logs, I think it's only reasonable to charge for my service.

To top it off, both jobs are hickory. :-\  I probably should've told both of 'em to call it firewood.
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Magicman

pnyberg has a Logrite arch that he carries with him to move logs at the customer's site.  I know that he saws "hourly rate", so the arch work is probably part of the job.  He also has a unique way of transporting it.  Maybe he will see this and offer his views, or you could message him. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

pnyberg

There are many jobs that I would not be able to do without the LogRite Fetching Arch.  I bring it to every job, unless I'm pretty certain that I won't need it.  In addition to the standard 'tow ring', I also have both the 'two man handle', and the 'tow tongue and winch' options. As MM said, I charge by the hour, so moving logs is just another activity where I'm 'on the clock'. 

The post where I describe how I carry the arch on the back of my LT40 is here: https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,7789.msg617292.html#msg617292

--Peter
No longer milling

Nomad

Generally I prefer to charge by bf, but I think my time with the arch will be hourly unless it's just nudging a log a couple of feet to line it up with the loader or some such.  About like I do now for trimming and moving logs, etc.
     Peter, I remembered your post about carrying your fetching arch and looked it up before I ordered mine.  I like it!  Don't know if I'll have to do that or be able to carry it on my truck, but we'll find out before too much longer.  (Theoretically it will fit in my truck bed.  But sometimes great ideas have one small problem.  They don't always work.)
     I ordered the tow tongue and winch as well, although I didn't bother with the 2 man handle.  Is that something you find very useful?  I may have to re-think that.
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

pnyberg

Quote from: nomad on June 10, 2012, 04:34:58 PM
I ordered the tow tongue and winch as well, although I didn't bother with the 2 man handle.  Is that something you find very useful?

If you're moving smaller logs over relatively flat terrain, and have enough pushers, it is by far the fastest way to go.  I use the tow tongue more often, but in situations where it can be put to use, the 2 man handle is worth having.  It lives in my lumber rack next to my LogRite MegaHook, so it's never in the way, but is always there when I need it.

My big problem in using it is that I only weigh about 155 lbs.  Trying to get enough leverage to 'toggle' the arch often means that I need to shinny up the handle to reach the cross piece.  Sometimes that's not quite enough, and I'm left dangling in the air for a moment or two before someone puts a bit more weight on the handle, and down I come.  More than one customer has pictures of me doing that, but for obvious reasons, I don't have a picture of my own.

--Peter
No longer milling

OneWithWood

You simply cannot go wrong with a logrite tool  8) 8) 8)

DanG, they are good people with good products. :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!