iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

28'x50' Barn, broke ground this weekend

Started by jimdad07, August 04, 2015, 11:46:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dakota

Dave Rinker

Brian_Weekley

They are sideways and stretched on my ipad, but they look fine on my computers.
e aho laula

jimdad07

I don't get why it does that, but I guess that's just the way it is.  Ran into my first "back up and use your head before you get hurt" moments tonight putting floor joists up.  They work out to be 5x8's at 12' long.  They are a mix of green pine and green hemlock.  I've set 8 of them throwing them on my shoulder and carrying them up a 10' step ladder, then setting them in the pockets.  They are heavy, should weigh one or two to see. 
I think I'm going to fab up a boom stick to mount on the frame I made for lifting the walls.  Think I'll make it about 10' long out of 2" black iron pipe and make receivers to weld onto the lifting frame.  Hopefully that'll save my back and shoulder.
Hudson HFE 30 Homesteader bandmill w/28' of track
Couple tractors, a bunch of chainsaws and not enough time to use them.

Jim_Rogers

gin pole with block and tackle works.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

jimdad07

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on December 01, 2016, 02:44:07 AM

Jim Rogers

Any tricks for using them alone?

Brian_Weekley

Quote from: jimdad07 on December 01, 2016, 09:36:48 AM

Here's a good example of setup and use of a gin pole (just substitute a tractor for the people):    :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2pkBvJGMuQ
e aho laula

Ljohnsaw

Nice video.  The only thing I would do different would be to make a bi-pod.  Use two poles.  Then, it is inherently more stable then a mono-pole.  You anchor the base and you can use a come-along to angle it out from another anchor point - more like a crane.  You can even rig a boom with another block and tackle to adjust it.  The advantage there is you can swing it to adjust for the balance point vs. where it needs to be centered.  The Army has a document about setting up gin poles and such.  The title is something like "rigging".  There is a PDF out there somewhere.  I printed it off and stuck it in a binder for when I'm raising my cabin.

Part 3 is kind of funny.  He makes the comment that the pull-gang had to pull the rope through the other barn man-door for the last beam section and couldn't see what was going on.  Duh, you're using a snatch block, just turn it around and pull across the floor!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: jimdad07 on December 01, 2016, 09:36:48 AM
Quote from: Jim_Rogers on December 01, 2016, 02:44:07 AM

Jim Rogers

Tie off your guide lines well so that the position of the upper block is directly over the location of the standing timbers. So you don't have to move the raised timber one way or the other.

Use at least 2 pulleys in each block to multiply your pulling power by 4.

If you need to raise a timber and hold it up while you run up a ladder to align a mortise over a tenon (in a plate for example) tie off your pull line to something very strong so it won't slip on you.

Jack raised his barn frame alone by using a gin pole with a peg sticking out of it to tie off his vertical pull line. He figured he could pull down his own weight so if he weighed 200 lbs and used 4 pulleys in two blocks that meant he could lift 800 lbs of timber. A two piece plate of pine weighs less than that.

Secure the base of the gin pole so that it won't shift on you while the load is up or going up.

See my frame raising video parts one and two on YouTube, or search for it here on the forum. I think I posted a link in a story here somewhere.

Jim Rogers

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: ljohnsaw on December 01, 2016, 01:06:38 PM
Part 3 is kind of funny.  He makes the comment that the pull-gang had to pull the rope through the other barn man-door for the last beam section and couldn't see what was going on.  Duh, you're using a snatch block, just turn it around and pull across the floor!

It's best to have the pull crew stand still so that there is no risk of tripping while backing up. And just pull the line through your hands, hand over hand.

Jim Rogers
PS and yes direct out so all can see and be seen and heard.

jimdad07

Thanks again guys.  If you guys see anything lacking or just plain not right in my frame so far, don't be shy in pointing it out.  I turned in all my pride at the wedding altar years ago.

jimdad07

Just put a boom pole on my lifting contraption.  Just a 2" black iron pipe about 12' long.  I hung of of the end of it and did some pullups on it, no give.  Figured these joists at 120 to 170#'s, the heavy ones being the hemlock.

jimdad07

Progress has slowed again after a good fall, but here's a video tour of what's done as of this morning.  I've started back up again and will throw more up as I go.

https://youtu.be/AQZMfAr7loY

Dave Shepard

That looks great! Very robust. The "wall plates" are actually girts. :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

jimdad07

Quote from: Dave Shepard on January 14, 2017, 10:51:12 PM
That looks great! Very robust. The "wall plates" are actually girts. :)

I knew it!  Always somebody!  I'm glad you like it.  Going sllllllllooooooowwwwwwww...but worth it all the way.  I'm going to film the rest of the project and post as I go, I think it'll keep me progressing and be more engaging to watch than posts on a forum.

jimdad07

jimdad07

Dave Shepard

Thanks for making the video. I like seeing big timbers. What is the span of that tie, is it the full 28'?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

jimdad07

Quote from: Dave Shepard on January 17, 2017, 11:14:47 AM
Thanks for making the video. I like seeing big timbers. What is the span of that tie, is it the full 28'?

Unsupported span is 12' on this one.  I figured the 2nd floor for 80 psf and sized them accordingly.  Full wood shop going on the second floor.  Was that video too long?

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: jimdad07 on January 17, 2017, 11:22:03 AM
Was that video too long?

NO!  Good editing.  I wanted to see more!  Will you be doing videos on pockets and mortices?  I hope so!

You did some editing but you look like you are really fast at making these tennons.  I'm assuming you were doing this in the evening and judging by the shadow movement, you did this in less than an hour, perhaps 30 minutes?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

jimdad07

Quote from: ljohnsaw on January 17, 2017, 11:36:53 AM
Quote from: jimdad07 on January 17, 2017, 11:22:03 AM
Was that video too long?

NO!  Good editing.  I wanted to see more!  Will you be doing videos on pockets and mortices?  I hope so!

You did some editing but you look like you are really fast at making these tennons.  I'm assuming you were doing this in the evening and judging by the shadow movement, you did this in less than an hour, perhaps 30 minutes?

Going to film the process the rest of the way, also planning to do a TF house addition that I'll film.  I've been watching YouTube for years and have learned a ton so I figured I'd start sharing what I do.  The next video will be the joist pockets and the wall post tenon.  After that it'll be raising that bent and the GIRTS......
Had to make sure I said that one right!

I filmed that in the afternoon, the tenon tool me about 45 minutes, keep in mind I work at my own pace with many interruptions from the kids.

nativewolf

Girt?  What's a girt?  Do you mean plate?  Or did you mispell grits?  Grits doesn't make any sense in this context but they are great with cheese.  Rarely a bad spot for some good cheese grits. 
Liking Walnut

jimdad07

Quote from: nativewolf on January 17, 2017, 12:14:22 PM
Girt?  What's a girt?  Do you mean plate?  Or did you mispell grits?  Grits doesn't make any sense in this context but they are great with cheese.  Rarely a bad spot for some good cheese grits.

I can't have nothin', call em wall plates....they're girts.....call em girts.......they're grits......

nativewolf

Quote from: jimdad07 on January 17, 2017, 01:39:25 PM

I can't have nothin', call em wall plates....they're girts.....call em girts.......they're grits......

Maybe you meant to put some grits on a plate?   ;D

In any case that was a well made and edited video.  Much appreciated and best of luck on the rest of the build!  Looking forward to seeing the next video.  Stay warm
Liking Walnut

jimdad07

Quote from: nativewolf on January 17, 2017, 03:40:59 PM
Quote from: jimdad07 on January 17, 2017, 01:39:25 PM

Maybe you meant to put some grits on a plate?   ;D

In any case that was a well made and edited video.  Much appreciated and best of luck on the rest of the build!  Looking forward to seeing the next video.  Stay warm

January is turning out to be the warmest one in my lifetime.  Used to be -20 to -10 for a good portion of January and February, this year it's been in the 30's and 40's.  No complaints here.  Only plowed snow twice and it's all gone now.

fishfighter

Really enjoyed the video. You are making some nice progress. ;D And yes, that is some big timbers. :o

Thank You Sponsors!