iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just a small Tulip Poplar log...

Started by Joanie, August 24, 2012, 12:07:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joanie

32" at the butt, 28" at the small end, 16' long. Rough math I got about 360bf, 2x6 and 1x12.

Yes this gal loves Grease and saw dust. Oh and my cat and my honey.
Lt40hd 24hp Onan, Husky 359 that runs when it wants to, Polan Wood Shark at the mill,starts every time, 1994 Jeep YJ.

Beaudeane

Good ol big un ain't it? Is that bout max size log for your mill? Is it a pay job or u doing it on a log at home? Think u said ur bout 40 mins from dalton, are u around Rome or nicholsville or what? If I ever get home & u have logs to cut, can I watch the woodmizer work? Also, if I had more logs to cut could I hire u to come cut them? Thx, Seth Jackson
Don't think of it as `gun control', think of it as `victim disarmament"

Magicman

Poplar is a favorite of mine to saw.  It just makes sawing fun.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Joanie

Quote from: Beaudeane on August 24, 2012, 12:53:52 PM
Good ol big un ain't it? Is that bout max size log for your mill? Is it a pay job or u doing it on a log at home? Think u said ur bout 40 mins from dalton, are u around Rome or nicholsville or what? If I ever get home & u have logs to cut, can I watch the woodmizer work? Also, if I had more logs to cut could I hire u to come cut them? Thx, Seth Jackson
Yea thats's about max size, Paying gig By the hour for him, he is the type to over think everything. I'm just a little north of Lafayette. I'd be happy for you to come by and " help". I don't know when I'd have time to saw for anyone else Frank keeps me bussy. This lumber is for a 1100sqft cabin we hope to start sometime soon. It's going to be the tounge and grove 2x6's above the 4x10 pine beams. also cabinets.
Lt40hd 24hp Onan, Husky 359 that runs when it wants to, Polan Wood Shark at the mill,starts every time, 1994 Jeep YJ.

Joanie

Quote from: Magicman on August 24, 2012, 01:56:36 PM
Poplar is a favorite of mine to saw.  It just makes sawing fun.   :)
I like the patterns that's at the center, and it saws like butter.

tyb525

I've sawn poplar that had some beautiful blues, greens, and purples in it.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Autocar

I use to buy alot of poplar in southern Indiana sixty foot to the first limb 1200 bd. ft. was common , we were pulling them with a 540 grapple skidder and we always bucked them in half to save tearing up the woods on turns. Beautiful trees for sure but mustering .45 cents a bd. ft. was about the limit on them.
Bill

Delawhere Jack

360bf seems a little on the low side. BTW, my sawdust shute doesn't look anything like yours. Was that an upgrade option? ;D

Poplar is fun to saw. Lets you turn that speed dial WAY to the right!

cutterboy

WOW Joanie! Nice looking log. Those big ones are nice because you can just saw board after board after board and keep on going.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

tyb525

You should get at least 576 board feet out of that one, and that is calculating from the small end. For a circle mill.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Magicman

I was curious about the cover missing from the sawmill.   ??? ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on August 24, 2012, 08:14:23 PM

Which picture Magic.....I don't see it......or maybe I can't see it, can't find my glasses.  say_what
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Joanie

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on August 24, 2012, 05:20:52 PM
360bf seems a little on the low side. BTW, my sawdust shute doesn't look anything like yours. What that an upgrade option? ;D

Poplar is fun to saw. Lets you turn that speed dial WAY to the right!
That was just a quick add in my head, wich is mostly mush. ;D. I priced a rubber hose that would fit, at $20perft, a
Quote from: tyb525 on August 24, 2012, 08:12:08 PM
You should get at least 576 board feet out of that one, and that is calculating from the small end. For a circle mill.
piece of 4in downspout was a little cheeper.It was Missing when I got the mill.
We're going to stack all we've sawn in the morning, I'll get some picts of some of the colors and patterns.

paul case

I didn't get that cover with my sawmill either.
Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on August 24, 2012, 08:16:05 PM

Which picture Magic.....I don't see it......or maybe I can't see it, can't find my glasses.  say_what
That would be the cover that goes over the up/down motor and drive belt and blade brake. PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: paul case on August 24, 2012, 09:31:47 PM
I didn't get that cover with my sawmill either.
Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on August 24, 2012, 08:16:05 PM

That would be the cover that goes over the up/down motor and drive belt and blade brake. PC

You're right Paul.....I see it now. Good iiiiiiiiiii's Magic.    smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

At least if it rains hard, the mill will drain well  :D.

I love yellow poplar.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Beavertooth

If you haven't figured it out yet Joanie having the cover off of the up down motor pulley is very  helpful in fine tuning you up down position. When you drop down for your next measurement everytime and come back up that little bit to hit it right on the mark you can stop a little short and then reach and grab that pulley with your left hand and give it a little turn to hit your mark perfect. When you get use to it you'll do it so fast you won't even know your doing it. (It's always better to come to low and then back up. The saw head stays there where if you come down and stop  right on the mark it may creep down on you a little.)
2007 LT70 Remote Station 62hp cat.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: tyb525 on August 24, 2012, 04:54:35 PM
I've sawn poplar that had some beautiful blues, greens, and purples in it.

It can have almost any color. If it has four or more colors, we call it rainbow poplar. Around here, it is fairly common to find yellow, green, black/purple, and red in the same board. That's true rainbow poplar. I just did up one nice little log like that, but parts of it were rotten.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Joanie

Quote from: Beavertooth on August 24, 2012, 10:24:54 PM
If you haven't figured it out yet Joanie having the cover off of the up down motor pulley is very  helpful in fine tuning you up down position. When you drop down for your next measurement everytime and come back up that little bit to hit it right on the mark you can stop a little short and then reach and grab that pulley with your left hand and give it a little turn to hit your mark perfect. When you get use to it you'll do it so fast you won't even know your doing it. (It's always better to come to low and then back up. The saw head stays there where if you come down and stop  right on the mark it may creep down on you a little.)
that's what I do. The cover wasn't on when I got the mill, Just never thought about getting a new 1,

wormy

love to cut poplar but can be a hand full to keep from making rocking chair bottoms when it dries

drobertson

nice job joanie, I have never seen poplars before, it looks straight! and the heartwood, man, this must be some pretty stuff,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Joanie

Re figured the bf on that log today, 565bf, in total so far on this sight 3050bf. I'll try to remember the camera in the morning. Sawed a small log today, it had blues, greens, a little red, and a touch of purple.

Delawhere Jack

Thank You, Thank You Very Much! That's been bothering me just a little. Sometimes I can hit the mark over and over, then sometimes it takes two or three tries to get it "just right".

Maintainance day on the mill tomorrow, I'll check it out.

Joanie

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on August 25, 2012, 06:15:10 PM
I caught my self today doing that,and started laughing, The boss said whats the matter, I said oh nothing.

Thank You, Thank You Very Much! That's been bothering me just a little. Sometimes I can hit the mark over and over, then sometimes it takes two or three tries to get it "just right".

Joanie

Quote from: Joanie on August 25, 2012, 07:29:57 PM
Quote from: Delawhere Jack on August 25, 2012, 06:15:10 PM

I caught my self today doing that,and started laughing, The boss said whats the matter, I said oh nothing.

Thank You Sponsors!