iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

4 degree vs. 10 degree blades ??????

Started by bikedude73, February 28, 2010, 08:02:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bikedude73

I have lots of logs of different types and am sawing oak and cherry now and was wondering witch one to use 4 or 10 degree????? :P ??? 8)

JV

My personal preference is 4 degree.  I have quit using 10 degree altogether.  Most of my sawing is done with 4 and 7 degree blades and on rare occasion 9 degree.  Others may disagree, just my personal preference. 
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

Don K

Here in the south we saw a lot of pine and the 10 degree is a good all around blade. I have used it on pine,poplar,redand white oak, redcedar, pecan,and walnut it it was fine on all. I don't have to separate blades either.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Dave Shepard

I run 10 on both the 24 HP LT40 manual and the 51 HP Super for most of my sawing. If I'm sawing black locust, white oak, or frozen logs, I use the 4 degree bands.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

Like Don, I run only 10o blades.  I'm quite sure that sometimes a different blade would be better suited, but so far, I'm doing fine with what I'm using.

A great majority of my sawing is dimension SYP framing lumber.  Occasionally, it's red & white oak, poplar, hickory, and recently beech.  Other minor varieties also hit the mill.  Some are green and some may have been down for a couple of years.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ladylake

4* here also, I buy them at 10* use them on easy to saw wood then sharpen at 4*. It might make a difference how much power your mill has, seems like 10* worked well for years on lower powered mils and now that a lot of us are getting more power were leaning towards less hook.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Larry

The more hook angle the faster you saw.  The more hook angle the faster the band dulls.  Dull bands cut waves when going through knots.  The effect is magnified with no debarker and on low horsepower mills.  The most positive way of telling if the band has to much hook is when the saw "chatters".  That would be typical on dried out white oak with a 10 degree band.

I can't think of ever needing a 4 degree band...the hardest I have cut was hedge that had spent the previous 40 years as corner posts...there was a couple of hidden staples that did present a little problem.

The only way to learn is to dry different bands and see what works for you.  It didn't embarrass me a bit to call up a manufacture and ask for a free band or two to try out.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

True North

In previous posts, it sounded like a lot of people liked the 7 degree blades and were thinking of going that route. I am going back and forth between the 7's and the 10's....can't decide.

P.A. RESHARP

If you are going to go with the 7* we suggest that you have at least 28 to 30 horsepower. Most of out higher horsepower mill owners have gone to the 7*. In the wintertime when the loggs are frozen, some people cant seem to get the 10* to cut, and when they switch to the 4* that almost always fixes the problem. As a rule the 10* is for the softer wood up to red oak. White oak and hickory and the harder woods, a lot of people stick with the 4*. There are people that use 10* for everything, and they seem to work. And there are also some customers that use only 4*. For the lt 15, most of our customers will use the 9*. That will pretty much cut anything. Like the post above said, you will probably just have to see what works best for you. Hope this helped, Have fun, and good luck.

bugdust

bikedude,
I typically use the 10 degree for WV hardwood sawing, but Marty (WM) hooked me up with a 7 degree a while back and I've found it will cut white oak and hickory where the 10 degree won't budge. Don't worry about mix/matching if you use WM resharp, they are quick to separate and ship back as marked. I try to keep just a few 7's handy, but most of my milling is still with 10's. Good milling!
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

Thank You Sponsors!