iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

to kill a decently running old saw to make more run?

Started by boobap, February 27, 2010, 11:19:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boobap

Obviously this is for the more sentimental people out there...I love my saws, but the time does come eventually to let them go...how do you "let them go"?

Ok, so just for fun...what would you do with it?
1. Part it out...sacrifice it to make others run/function properly?
2. Sell it to someone complete, and have no idea what the future holds for it?
3. Or trade it in on a new one and (last part of 2)?

Cut4fun

Find a good home for it and let it go to it. i have had to do the same thing since Jan. I sold $3000 in used saws and some used part since then. Just so I could go all alky/nitro for racing.

Tom

I am a pack rat.  I keep stuff, whether running or not, because it is "mine".   If I have to get rid of something, there is very little chance that I would part it out, whether it be a truck, sawmill, chainsaw or axe.  Those parts belong together.  Chances are the device is old enough to be a collector's item.  I would rather give someone the opportunity to collect than rid the world of any opportunity to do so.

The more I talk about it, the less I want to sell it.  Now, what was it I was going to sell?  Oh!  you were selling it, not me. whew!!  Had me worried there for a minute.  ;D

joe_indi

Through the past 16 years I have retained what would be termed as junk.
Well, some of that junk have become 3 perfectly working Stihl 046/460 saws. The only thing missing is the brake on one of them.But that saw lost its brake a few months into its ownership and its users never liked the brake on it.
I have already got 3 more Stihl 460s ready to be assembled from the junk.
I foresee at least three 066/660s yet to come into shape and a few Husky 372s and maybe a 385.
I also see a 029 and a 023 in that junk pile, ready to come to life, if given a chance.

Unlike people or animals, I dont think you could kill a saw.Its alive as long as you want it to be.If you want to think of it as junk, it becomes junk.But, after many year if you re-think and prefer to consider that junk as a saw again, some parts and effort will have it running sweetly again.
Each saw has its own unique character. How it gets it in spiteof coming off an assembly line I really dont know

Joe

SwampDonkey

I only part out by saws to replace parts on other saws I have that need replaced. I don't sell the parts.  Ask any brush saw guy and it's a real pain when a model is discontinued and he has a bin of replacement parts for that model he is faithful to. He will have dealers looking all over for a saw that has never sold in that model. Some guys I know have been going on a couple years like that with the older professional Husky brush/clearing saw. The Stihl FS550 has not changed in years, except they are getting cagey changing the screw bolt in the angle gear so you and I can't get at it to grease it. The last angle gear I had them take that odd headed bolt out so I could use a bolt I can remove.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

bandmiller2

My saws all have a pension plan they hang on hooks in the cellar and enjoy their retirement.Every so often they will go back in service even just for old time sake,I tend to use the same saw for a long stretch then anouther.Don't think I've ever completely worn out a saw,still have my old stihl 031 bought back in 76,will still do a days work. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Al_Smith

I have a tendency to keep stuff forever it seems then I'm hip deep in junk  . Most of my stable of saws are good runners although not the type you would care to run on a continual bassis .

The antiques are what they are,old saws .Better than a two man whipsaw but not as handy are a more modern light weight . Fact is my plan today is to get a mid 50's Lombard running that a gent from Idaho hauled half way across the USA to give to me .The ignition for same will be robbed from a like vintage Homelite which uses the same type Phelon coil . Not a big deal just something I do .

As far as what to do with them,I've basically given them away or same as .Example being buying a specific size of saw,getting it running tip top shape and letting them go for what I had in them which usually is not much .I'm not in it for the money as I already have a good job .

bandmiller2

Al,my first saw was an old Lombard made a few miles from where i grew up.Can't remember where I got it or what happened to it.They seemed to have ignition problems mine would cut well til it got hot then quit,no spark,looked to be a common lawn mower coil.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

blackoak

Go through it completely. Fix anything that needed fixing. Then sell it on Ebay for a nice profit.

flushcut

Quote from: joe_indi on February 28, 2010, 03:34:03 AM
Through the past 16 years I have retained what would be termed as junk.
Well, some of that junk have become 3 perfectly working Stihl 046/460 saws. The only thing missing is the brake on one of them.But that saw lost its brake a few months into its ownership and its users never liked the brake on it.
I have already got 3 more Stihl 460s ready to be assembled from the junk.
I foresee at least three 066/660s yet to come into shape and a few Husky 372s and maybe a 385.
I also see a 029 and a 023 in that junk pile, ready to come to life, if given a chance.

Unlike people or animals, I dont think you could kill a saw.Its alive as long as you want it to be.If you want to think of it as junk, it becomes junk.But, after many year if you re-think and prefer to consider that junk as a saw again, some parts and effort will have it running sweetly again.
Each saw has its own unique character. How it gets it in spiteof coming off an assembly line I really dont know

Joe

Now thats deep and a true love for saws!  I have sold only one saw and I regret it but I know it has a good home in northern WI working 10 acres.
Husquvarna Chainsaws

Red 93 L1 #3383

I haven't had to do it to one of my personal saws yet but, at work that's another story.  We have some JD ( Echo ) string trimmers from the mid 90's that you can no longer buy replacement parts for ( Thank God ).  When one of them dies it becomes parts to keep the others running.
Stihl's: 2-064AV's, 020T, MS 310
'93 Ford F-150 Lightning, '94 F-150 4x4, '92 F-150 4x4 '80 F-150 EFI 7.5L, '04 Expedition (Wife's)

SwampDonkey

My Stihl dealer junked out a brand new brush saw for parts. Of course no discount on the parts, but I was happy. I got my old saw back up to par for far less than a new one.  8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Bruce Hopf

I picked up a few parts saws, to keep my McCulloch chain saws going for a long time. Since health reasons, i can't run them very much.
I switched to Stihl, and all of them (8 to be exact) I picked up pretty cheap, because the previous owners didn't want to put any money into them, so they just traded them off, for a new one, and I fixed them up myself. I made good runners out of all of them. Bruce.
McCulloch
1-Pro Mac 60, 1-Pro Mac 700, 2-Mac 10-10 automatic's, 2-Mini Mac 30's, 2-Mac 110's, 2-Mini Mac 35's, 1-Mac 140 with Automatic chain sharpener, 1-Pro Mac 10-10, 2-Eagar Beaver 2.0's, 1-Mac 1-10
Stihl
2-044's, 2-034,s 2-024's, 1-064, 1-084
Strunk
1-Busy Beaver, 1-SpeeDemon Special

sawguy21

I reluctantly gave my old saws away when I moved south, no room on the load and no place to put them when I got here. Since then, two old Homey's and a like new Husky 35 have followed me home. I got my (ahem) shop built this week , she thinks it is a storage for garden tools  :D, so have some shelf space available.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!