iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Small scale thinning

Started by thecfarm, April 07, 2014, 05:50:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

This is what I have been working on behind the house.
I have been thinning out a few trees. This was taking on the edge of the woods road.

Alot of maple,some pine,few beech.

There was some ugly trees in there.

The woods road is on the left hand side. I should of taken a picture before I cut a couple cord of maple out of here.
This is the area that is the deer was eating the maple tops.I will have to go in and cut the stumps down. Many rocks in here,so I did not bother to shovel the trees out.

This is in about 100 feet,not yet cut.

All done cutting in here for now. The woods road is gravel,so I don't want to drag the trees through the gravel. I was dumping a few bucket loads of snow in the road. But the snow in the road is just about gone now.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

g_man

Looking good. Must be putting the tractor and winch to work. Is all the ugly wood you took out going into firewood ??
Where is all your snow gone??  I had to push out a woods road with the dozer today so I could get the tractor in.

thecfarm

Hardwood firewood for someone else. This is right out in the open on one side. That's why not much snow and I have been working in there dragging the trees through the snow too. Go down the woods road another 200 feet and I would need a dozer too.I might have a foot,maybe a little more in the woods,but it's hard and ice under it all.Across the woods road is only scattered trees. The other side was a grown up pasture too. But the trees was alot smaller. I am slowly working that back into a pasture. I leave the red oak for the wildlife.
It's slow getting the wood out. Most times I have to leave the top and just take the trunk. Sometimes I cut it in two.Than come back and get the top.Don't want to bark up any trees that I don't have too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

thecfarm

This is the area that I cleared off.

I'm standing just past where the woods road goes off to the right taking pictures. That would be the 3rd tree on the right.This was just taken yesterday and alot of snow has melted off the road.

WDH

It is very nice to work in your woods. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Pete and Jesse

I have been doing some thinning also.  Yours looks different than mine.  I tend to leave everything less than 4 inches.  Should I be cutting more?
How do you decide on your final spacing?

Big timber little dozer

I can come up and give you a hand if need be  ;)
Yep that's what I thought

thecfarm

Pete and Jesse,you really should take some pictures or get a forester involved. Every place is diffeant and every plan is too.Depends on your species too.I am not the one to answer that question. Probably start another thread with some pictures in Ask the Forester board.
Most that I am cutting now has been there for years. This is family land and I have looked at this area for 40 years.Looks just about the same than as now.  Some of the trees were old,had bumps and some was split,not a good way to grow trees.

thecfarm

Big timber,all set. If I haul out 10 trees a day,that is alot for me. I am hauling out the tops and I bring them to a brush pile. Takes alot of time to do it that way. I want it all nice and clean about 100 feet in.

WmFritz

I'd be afraid to open up the crowns and release those rocks.  :)
  You sure grow em big out there.  :D :D

~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Corley5

Looks nice Ray  8) 8) 8)  I'd be concerned about those rocks growing too  ;) ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

thecfarm

I think the rocks grew more in the last 40 years than the trees did.

JohnM

I had hoped to see the Cfarm this Saturday, Ray, but as I told you I've got that memorial to go to. :(  I'll get down there one of these days. :)  Woods look good! smiley_thumbsup
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Stephen Alford

Great to see some pics of your endeavors and "cfarm rocks".  Surprised at your snow sitch.  Still shovin here.   :-\

logon

Offthebeatenpath

1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, CanyCom S25 crawler carrier, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other little trail building machines and tools...

terry f

I don't know anything about hardwoods, but that spacing sure looks good to me. Beautiful woods by the way.

Ken

Nice neat looking job around the property Cfarm.  Keep up the good work and I suspect that your rock inventory will not diminish over time. 
Lots of toys for working in the bush

SwampDonkey

That thinning will pay dividends in tree growth. There will be large areas you'll never get to because of the scale of things and the pace, but that will give you something to compare and converse about when others come by for a visit. ;D

8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Maybe I can get to see those rocks one day. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Peter Drouin

It's coming along nicely, good job.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Billbob

Very nice, Ray!  Thinning will make a big difference and select cutting will ensure a continuous supply of saw logs.  Good work!
Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

Thank You Sponsors!