Fla._Deadheader

Youster run the No. 2 at 550 to start.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Sawyerfortyish

Hey shopteacher is there anything stamped in the side of your blade. Mine has the speed as well as right or left hand the company that made the saw and the date the blade was made. My blade was made in 1957.

shopteacher

I'll have to check on that a little closer.  Off hand I didn't notice anything on the blade to that effect.  Anyone have one of those harbor freight inferred tachometer? If so what do you think of it quality wise?  I'm always a little suspicious of their stuff. Thought it might be a great way to set the engine speed  by the shaft rpm.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Fla._Deadheader

Got a mechanical tach that ya push against the shaft end. It's in Florida.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Corley5

None of my saws have any markings on them.  I just make sure to tell the saw doc it's left handed and 500 RPM.  I've got one of those mechanical tachs around here somewhere.....
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

shopteacher

Now that you mention it I have a mechanical tach I bought off Ebay and have never used.  i plum forgot all about it. Thanks for the reminder.  How do you tell if the mill is left or right handed?
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Corley5

Facing the saw from the infeed side if the log passes on your left it's left hand and vice verse :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Wenrich

Saws usually have a stamp on the log side of the saw.  So, you can tell a left handed from the right.  It has RPM and the serial number.

But, you can have saws hammered for any speed, so that stamp is pretty unreliable.  And, you can have a right handed saw hammered to left handed.  I've had it done.

Did the last owner tell you what speed they were running their engine at?  That should give you a hint on your RPM, as long as you set it up the same way.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!