iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Question on Cherry finishes too???

Started by FeltzE, March 29, 2004, 04:51:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Driller

Nice stuff FeltzE.
 Answer me a question if you can. I've seen alot of older cherry furniture that is so dark, it's almost black.  Will your project do that also? It's such a pretty color now. The reason for my question is that I have some cherry logs to saw that I was considering making flooring from but I don't want a dark floor.

shopteacher

I have a demo piece of cherry that has a clear lacquer finish done by one of the other industrial arts teachers when he was in college as a project.  He's 52 now.  That piece has the nicest reddish brown color and is more beautiful than when originally done. I also have a cherry floor in my bedroom ( there are pictures of it in the gallery someplace) that is about 10 years old and it has just gotten better looking with time.  A lot of commercial cherry furniture is stained a dark color to hide and blend the wood used in construction.  Many people believe thats what cherry looks like. Similarly, maple had orange shellac applied to it for years as a finish and quite a few people believe maple has that orange color.  Do your floor, cherry make a beautiful floor.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

FeltzE

Driller,

Cherry will darken with age but shouldn't loose it's redness, If you have cherry logs to saw get them on the mill I have cut some cherry that dried too much in the log and it created a ring shake each time and ruined the lumber so don't hesitate getting them sawed up!

Eric

Thank You Sponsors!