iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stump

Started by Larry, December 15, 2005, 06:48:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

Just thought it was an interesting...think SwampDonkey can ID it? ;D :D ;D

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Mike_Barcaskey

interesting
I'm thinking that's a manmade lake that is used for flood control?
and the tree was there when they built the lake, how lond ago was that?
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Tom

I'm figger'n it's a pine.

SwampDonkey

I remember when they lowered the level of the lakes, which were flooded in the 50's during the Tobique Hydro project. There was alot of such wood, 'dry kye' as we all called it, all along the shore line. They brought in bulldozers and escavators to clean it up in the late 80's. Then it was burned. It was a shame that wood was not cut, just drowned out. Cords and cords and cords gone to waste. It was mainly spruce and fir. Before they cleaned up the lake shores it was quite a mess. What was odd, at the time period they flooded it out there were still river drives on the Tobique.  I think it was expropriated from the Fraser Lumber Co. and became property of the NB Power Commission. Back then they seemed to be able to do as they wished and took away alot of livelihoods along the Tobique. My grandfather had a guide outfitting business and owned riperian rights on the river, all stripped away for progress. ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Mike_Barcaskey

I thought conifer also, but I'm not familiar with any species with such a large tap root
all the Norway and blue spruce that blow over around here aint got a root deeper than two feet
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

SwampDonkey

Mike after you pointed that out, I was thinking the same. But some pine do have a semi-tap root. Just a wild guess here, I'm thinking white oak.  ???
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Frank_Pender

For natural art like that I have beenn know to get up to $150 to be placed in a flower garden. ;D
Frank Pender

UNCLEBUCK

Its driftwood , I win !  smiley_bucktooth
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

etat

QuoteIts driftwood , I win ! 

dang it, that's what I was a gonna say and Uncle Buck beat me to it!!!!!!!   :-[

oh by the way, I DO agree that he's right!!!!!!!!!!!  8) 8) 8)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

sandmar

I am with Tom,looks like pine to me. We live a mile from a Corp of Engineers reservoir and when the water is down you can find quite a few of these.

Sandmar

Corley5

I'd say pine too.  Jack pine have pretty impressive taproots.  When the Road Comm. cleared for the new garage the jack pine stumps were harder to push out than red oak ones.  The oaks had a root ball the jack pine had a root 8)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Engineer

My dad filled up his flower gardens with old roots from the woods.  Mostly white oak, they look sorta like that.

Larry

Mike had a pretty good guess...location is Beaver Lake Arkansas, a corp lake built in the 60's.  Right now the lake is about 15' low exposing all kinds of interesting stuff.  Mostly a hardwood forest area.

Really like Franks idea. ;D  The corp does take a dim view of people removing things from their property. ???
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Tom

Chart those stumps, holes and ridges.  They will hold fish when the water comes back up. ;D

Metal detecting in areas frequented by swimmers an boaters may find you a treasure trove.

Thank You Sponsors!