iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tall tales

Started by WV Sawmiller, December 22, 2014, 08:15:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Following is a tale I heard from an old one-armed neighbor when I was a boy back in NW Florida.

When I was a boy the moon wasn't no bigger than a dime and you could step across the Escambia River most any place. We was running a little short on rations one morning so Mama decided I needed to go hunting. I grabbed up my old flintlock rifle and my powder horn and took off. I found me a nice spot on the bank of the river at a deep curve and sat down leaning up against a big old blackgum tree. It was calm and warm there in the sunshine and I fell asleep. An hour or so later I woke up when a big old flock of redwing blackbirds roosted up in that gum tree overhead and set up a racket. When I looked up I saw a big old 8 point buck standing out in front of me with 2 big turkey gobblers scratching up acorns behind him. A big old cane cutter rabbit was swimming the river behind me and a 6' rattle snake was coiled up and rattling and ready to strike at my right leg. I decided I probably better do something. I raised up that old musket gun and let fire. I hit that buck in the head and killed him graveyard dead on the spot. We made jerky and had meat for a month off of him That old soft lead bullet hit the base of one horn and split in two and ricocheted  off and a piece hit each of those turkeys in the head and killed both of them. We cooked them up for both Thanksgiving and Christmas. That old rifle barrel swung around and killed that rattlesnake. I cleaned him and we smoked him up and made a hat band and a belt out of that hide. The muzzle blast was awful loud and it scared those blackbirds so bad 2 dozen of them had a heart attack and fell dead all around me and we cooked them up into a pie. The recoil kicked me back into the river and I landed on that old cane cutter rabbit and drowned him and we fried him up for dinner.

To top it off when I waded out of that river I had on a pair of those old hip wader boots and I had a mess of bluegills caught up in them boots.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

thecfarm

Maybe you should of been wearing the hip waders.  :D   A good tale.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WmFritz

That old boy could stretch a story.   :D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Thank You Sponsors!