iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Multiple logs with WPF

Started by Snag, May 08, 2006, 12:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snag

I am going to be starting a job this coming weekend for a friend.  There is a total of 175 +/- logs varying from 8 to 16 ft and we will be sawing on halves.  My question is, would loading two logs at once save on time or is it more of a pain in the butt?  If so, use two seperate sets of bunks or one set of long ones with two sets of notches? The logs are generally 18" dia.  Any advice?  Also, what dimension bunks are you guys using?  How long?  Wide, high?  I was using some I got from Captain and they are on their last leg.  At one point I had the bright idea of shortening them so I wouldnt trip on em as much, but now they are less stable.   

Radar67

Snag, I helped a member out back in March. He had two swing mills and we were loading 3 logs at a time. His bunks were the width of the bottom tracks and he had three sets of notches cut into them. The way Phil had them set up, you loaded the largest log to the outside, then followed with two smaller logs. I don't own a Peterson (yet), but this process seemed to save a lot of time. I'm sure some of the owners will chime in and give you some more specific info. Oh. it doesn't take long to build up a saw dust bed that will cover those bunks up, eliminating the tripping problem.  ;D

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

getoverit

I have milled 3 logs at a time with the ATS Peterson, but I have gone back to just one log at a time now. As long as your logs ar all about the same physical size, you can mill them just fine. When they are different sizes, you tend to waste some wood along the way.

This is the ATS and not the WPF though....
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Husband

Snag, I personally like to put more than one log in at a time but only if they are resonably uniformed, and I am not to worried abut cutting for grade.

Timbers such as pine you can pretty much throw them in and let it rip. 8) And yes it does save time because you can be doing things such as taking the waste of log #1 and #2 at the same time as you start to progress though the log. The only thing is that the poor buggar tailing has to move it to keep up with ya. (Captain can tell you more on that)

Quality timbers, I do one at a time to get the best from each log with-out having to worry about it on log # 2 at the same time. :-\ (I have been told that we men cannot multi task)

Hope this helps.

Chris

Snag

Thanks for all the advice.  It sure does help.  What dimension skids are you using 8"x8"?  what size notches?  Thanks and will see some of you tomorrow in VT.

Jerome

getoverit

I use 6x6's with 5" notches. Seems to work good for me at that size.

Dangerous_Dan

First you make it work, then you trick it out!

Buzz-sawyer

Git em cousin Dan ;) 8) 8) 8)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Part_Timer

I tried it last weekend and didn't have much luck.  I need a better set of bunks.  The first log kept wanting to roll on me.

Dan that is a nice looking mill you built. 

Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

getoverit

Thats gotta be a sweet machine to run.
When you gonna add some power feed and power blade direction controls to it dan ?   ;D

Ironwood

Dan, don't waste any words buddy. Save them buggers fer later. Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Dangerous_Dan

If I add power feed then I'll need to power the 90 degree flip of the blade as well.
After that it will need automatic setworks for the height and the width of the cut.
Of course it will then need automatic drag back for the boards.
I think for now I'll just leave it all manual and find someone to run it for me.
It took me with the assistance of my girlfriend Wendy, 2 1/2 months of working everyday this winter to build what you see now.
Spring is here and paying work has taken priority over tinkering. That doesn't mean the mill does not make money - I have already made back every penny I spent plus I still have alot of metal and misc parts left over to build another mill next winter.  ;D
Getoverit & Part_timer next time your up north stop by and you can run it for yourself and see how sweet it is.
I think the best part is how quiet it is.
Back on topic: To dog up both logs all I did was put a piece of 2X wood between the logs so they only touched at the bottom and then locked everything down as normal. I will be making a sliding double spiked dog that drops in to replace the 2X wood for a better hold and faster setup.
First you make it work, then you trick it out!

Part_Timer

Thank you for the invite

If I ever get a chance I may take you up on the offer.

Your welcome here also if your ever down this way.

Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

getoverit

Thanks for the invite !  Ifn your ever in sunny Florida, be sure to look me up also. I'd love to have a professional tinkerer here to give me a few tips ;)

Thank You Sponsors!