iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Putting down roots in Costa Rica

Started by Pete J, August 31, 2005, 08:12:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crtreedude

By the way, the person who would be very interesting here (and she doesn't have time unfortunately) is someone I met yesterday. She designed the Carbon Credits program for Costa Rica. We had a very interesting converstation yesterday about Teak, Costa Rica, reforestation, Carbon Credits, etc. etc.

Our little idea is getting a lot of attention.
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Larry

Would Lyptus make a good plantation tree in CR?  Very fast growing and the demand for it is a lot greater than teak....at least in my part of the country.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Fla._Deadheader

Hey Larry,  You talking Eucalyptus ???   I think that grows like weeds down there  ::) ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Larry

It's a Weyerhaeuser hybrid...one parent is Eucalyptus.  Weyerhaeuser really pushes it to the greens from the substantial forestry angle.  Sold for flooring, woodworking, and high-end millwork.  It can be finished to  resemble Mahogany or Black Cherry.  Very heavy and hard.  Makes a sawlog in about 15 years.   Most of the hardwood lumber stores carry it round here.  If you have a Woodcraft store in your area they will have it in stock.

I traded a guy walnut for some bout a year ago...IMHO it sucks...no figure because it grows way to fast.  My opinion is the minority...they sell a lot of the stuff.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

Fla._Deadheader

First, it is ridiculed;

Larry

Never have seen it in log form...the lumber I got was the same color as the
two logs front right.

Is that the same stuff Weyerhaeuser is calling Lyptus?

Fla._Deadheader

THis is fresh cut logs in Costa Rica. 8) :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

crtreedude

Eucalyptus is grown here. Usually in the highlands. It is used a lot for telephone poles.
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Thank You Sponsors!