iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Puter Question

Started by WH_Conley, March 21, 2008, 10:54:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH_Conley

Time to renew my anti-virus program (Mcafee), course the version I had no longer available, download the new version, says I have to remove Spybot search and destroy to install it. Went to spybot, did the uninstall, still there. Went to control panel, says it can't find the uninstall file. How do you get rid of it, the simple way for puter dummies?
Bill

Dale Hatfield

restart and check back to see ifn it went away >
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

WH_Conley

That was about my third or fourth attempt. >:( Thanks anyhow.
Bill

thecfarm

I'm no computer expect.But sounds like a piece of that program is still there.When I did the Norton Anti virus I had to go to thier website and downlaod a program to remove all of Norton.Than I deleted out that program.I could not find it with a uninstall on my computer either.Good luck.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Sounds like you went and deleted the folder and not the program dependencies through the uninstall program. So now what your faced with is removing all instances of the program from the key registry. I would not attempt that unless I knew what I was doing. 'Registry Mechanic' may be of some use there. It's a commercial program, not part of Windows. You could reinstall Search and Destroy, then use the uninstall in Control Panel or in the Program directory or on the Start menu under it's folder name.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

DouginUtah

I would think that CCleaner would be able to clean out the remaining garbage.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Warbird

Quote from: DouginUtah on March 23, 2008, 10:14:15 AM
I would think that CCleaner would be able to clean out the remaining garbage.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

That was going to be my suggestion.  My brother had a couple of half deleted programs and a bunch of other stuff wrong with his Windows system (many blue screens of death, problems booting, etc).  I ran this on it, it deleted the two 'half programs'.  Then I ran the registry cleaner portion of it.  I had it delete everything it found but did have it back up the registry before deleting all the messed up entries it found (just in case).

His computer has been happy ever since.  In fact, I think so highly of ccleaner and how it speeds up a Windows box that I recommend you run it monthly.

One word of warning and some advice.  When you first run the program, click the "analyze" button at the bottom first.  Then have it actually run and delete everything.  Once that is done, click the "Registry" button on the left.  Click "Scan for issues".  Once that is done, make sure everything is selected and click "Fix selected issues".  It'll ask if you want to backup your registry, I recommend you do (it's easy).  Once that it done, click "Fix all selected issues" in the little box that opens, then confirm you really want to do that.

Now for the warning...  sometimes ccleaner removes toolbar settings, custom window views, etc.  This does not mean your computer is messed up.  Just go back and set your views and toolbar back to the way you like 'em.  then enjoy a much faster and cleaned up PC.  :)

WH_Conley

Had to reinstall the program then delete it with add and remove programs. Still a little left. Going to look at the cleaner now. Thanks for the help.
Bill

Carries-Mom

That was going to be my suggestion...going to add and delete programs...that usually takes care of getting rid of the entire program... ::)

Thank You Sponsors!