iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

puter got me stumped, which isnt hard!

Started by bedway, October 26, 2010, 06:58:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bedway

This thing keeps trying to install windows updates. Im up to 17 now that wont install. Its a 64 bit operating system. After it tries to install them it just comes back and says all 17 failed to install. Wheres my seven year old grandaughter when i need her? :(

Warbird

What version of Windows are you running?  Windows 7? XP? Vista?

Warbird

Also, what error code, if any, does it give?

bedway

Im running windows xp. Its not giving me an error code. I tried to go to the windows update site to figure out what error code im getting but was unsuccesful :(

Warbird

Okay.  Try going through these steps.  This is way better than me trying to walk you through it here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906602

bedway

When i try to go to the site it says internet explorer can not go to the site. Then it says i need to download IE.

Jeff

Are you using Internet Explorer or Firefox?  You must use IE to go to the microsoft update site.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

bedway

Im useing firefox. How do i switch my browser to IE?

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Coon

We have had these problems with this computer many times over.  Alot of the time we end up having to reinstall windows.  ::)
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

bedway

Now Jeff, keep in mind if i knew how to do this stuff i wouldnt be asking for help :D  It might be easy for you to say, turn off firefox and turn on IE. Now where in the heck do i do that? :-[

Warbird

Bedway, "IE" referes to "Internet Explorer", which is the built-in web browser for Windows.  Click on "Start", "Programs", and look for the blue "e" icon, which stands for "Explorer".

IE is also what is launched when do the Windows Updates.

Once you get that figured out, run through the steps in the link I provided to you.

bedway

When i click on the IE it opens up and then says IE cannot display the web page.   Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Most likely causes:
You are not connected to the Internet.
The website is encountering problems.
There might be a typing error in the address.

What you can try:
     Check your Internet connection. Try visiting another website to make sure you are connected. 

Retype the address. 

Go back to the previous page.

More information

This problem can be caused by a variety of issues, including:

Internet connectivity has been lost.
The website is temporarily unavailable.
The Domain Name Server (DNS) is not reachable.
The Domain Name Server (DNS) does not have a listing for the website's domain.
If this is an HTTPS (secure) address, click tools, click Internet Options, click Advanced, and check to be sure the SSL and TLS protocols are enabled under the security section.

For offline users

You can still view subscribed feeds and some recently viewed webpages.
To view subscribed feeds

Click the Favorites Center button , click Feeds, and then click the feed you want to view.

To view recently visited webpages (might not work on all pages)

Click Tools , and then click Work Offline.
Click the Favorites Center button , click History, and then click the page you want to view.

Thank You Sponsors!