iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Zero Turn

Started by Den Socling, April 24, 2016, 01:39:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Den Socling

I'm sure Zero Turn mowers have been mentioned before but I thought I would add my two cents. Our old lawn tractor was pretty nearly junk. I gave it to an unemployed guy who has lots of time to wrench on the thing. I bought a Troy-Bilt ZT. I've got to say I love it. We have a lot of trees and bushes. It takes a little time to get the hang of it but when you do, you can fly! A lot faster than mowing with a lawn tractor. And it darts about like a sports car! BTW the first time I ever saw a ZT was at Wood-Mizer. This was around 1997 and they had a prototype in the shop. You would think that they would be the leaders today.

sawguy21

;D Those machines are fun to operate and fast. I sure would like one for our area with the trees and shrubbery, the Kubota SCUT is good but not as nimble. However, I need the tractor for moving snow and other stuff, a ZT does not do well here.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Den Socling

I finished our 1+ acre yard and had a blast! Now wondering if my neighbors would like me to mow for them.  :D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

My first ZT mower was a WOODS 60 inch. Kept it for 5 years and gave it to my brother.
Then I got a Kubota 61 inch 28hp. Had it for 5 years and traded it in at the dealer for a 61 inch Kubota diesel.
The diesel is a hoss! I can fill it up now on the farm and don't have to go get gas.  :)

Once you get a ZT....you won't go back.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

wesdor

I have a Deere 60" that is 6 years old.  It does a great job but keeping it in gas (about 2 gal / hour) when my tractor is diesel has me starting to look at diesel options.  I mow several yards which amount to more than 10 acres per week.  Definitely staying with a ZTR.

Poston I'd appreciate hearing more about your Kubota - how is fuel consumption - which is on my short list.  Currently considering the following diesel models Deere $20,000+!, ExMark $18,000, Kubota $18,000?, Gravely $12,000. 

Any comments regarding quality vs cost would be appreciated.

Den Socling

Wow my Troy-Bilt was dirt cheap at $2400.

Raider Bill

I'm had a Ariens Zt. For 10 years. Zippity do Da!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Wesdor, my gas Kubota had 2 / 6 gallon tanks on it.
My Kubota diesel has 1 /  5 gallon tank on it.

Based on 1 tank each, they go empty about the same.
NO DON'T let the diesel run out of fuel. I have not but know someone that did. Lot of work to get the air out of the lines.

My diesel is the 23 hp 61 inch cut. $12,325.

WV Sawmiller

How do they do on the slopes? I use a 54" cut MTD (White is actual brand) garden tractor from TSC and it does pretty good but I use it on some pretty hairy areas. I'd heard rumors the zero turn mowers aren't designed for steep slopes.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on April 24, 2016, 08:23:32 PM
I'd heard rumors the zero turn mowers aren't designed for steep slopes.

All of the ZT mowers come with Turf Tires. You may be able to order an agriculture tire but I'm not sure.
If you mow on a hill, I would recommend going up and down the hill if possible.
But where I mow and where you mow we both know there are some places you need to ride the slope.
If the grass is bone dry, I slow to a creep and can mow with the slope.....if the grass is damp, the rear end will try to fish tail around. It'll make your bottom draw up.  :D

I think most ZT have roll bars.....I keep mine straight up when mowing hills and put it down when mowing my yard and my Dad's on level ground. The last thing ya wanna do is to be mowing with the bar up and hit a limb.  :o

thecfarm

I wonder how they hold part on a hill. Wife somehow got her tractor out of 4 wd while mowing down our hill. She almost ended up in a heap at the bottom.  :o  I came home and saw the lever was moved. She never touched it again. I looked at them a few times,but could not seeing spending that much on something that we could only use five months out of the year. She really mows ALOT here too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: thecfarm on April 24, 2016, 08:41:56 PM
I looked at them a few times,but could not seeing spending that much on something that we could only use five months out of the year.

I agree Ray. I mowed a total of 32 hours last year. The weather in the Carolinas is unpredictable. We start off in the spring having to mow at least once a week with all the rain and I do fertilize.
Then if our drought hits early and the grass goes dormant, I may not have to mow again for 3 months or until I reseed in the fall. My dad plants his mater rows 6 foot apart. I go between the rows all summer and keep the weeds down. The deck on my mower is a welded deck, not a stamped deck. Its almost like a small bush hog.
I'm just hoping this being my first diesel, I won't have to get another mower for 15 -20 years....hopefully.

wesdor

Thanks Poston, was that new or used price?  If new then I need to find a better dealer!  The fuel consumption is about what I'm hearing, good to have it confirmed by a real user.

WV - I think you are correct regarding hills.  I tend to go straight up and down and have some really steep areas.  I do mow some steep ditch sides and my ZTR hangs on like a goat.  The first year I had the mower was a real learning experience but now I have a good feel regarding what is a workable slope. I've never had my roll bars down, but don't mow with seat belt on - maybe I should consider using the seat belt?

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: wesdor on April 24, 2016, 09:02:48 PM
Thanks Poston, was that new or used price?   

That was the new price and I bought the optional kit that goes on the front to raise the whole front end to change blades.
My is a ZD1021 SERIES

sawguy21

wesdor, you best be wearing the seat belt on slopes it is part of the ROPS system. I want to stay aboard and ride the Kubota to the bottom, better bruised than excused. One day I was backing in a tight spot and didn't notice a branch that the roll bar caught, did that ever give me a wake up call. :o

gfadvm

I have 2 60" cut Dixie Choppers. One is 13 years old and the other is 7-8 years old. They get used 12 months of the year: mowing, mulching leaves, and spraying weeds. Both have been very reliable and trouble free. I've never been able to tip one over despite my best efforts.

ScottAR

I can't speak to the diesel models, but the Gravely we have is great.  24hp Kawasaki.  I'm pretty sure the Ariens pro models are the same machine.  Very well made and what little maintenance we've needed to do was easy to get at.  I like how nearly everything on the operator station is adjustable.  I would get the air ride seat if I had it to do again.  The factory spring ride seat is good but not perfect.
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

scsmith42

I've had a SCAG Turf Tiger (61" cut) for about 14 years.  I honestly do not expect to have to ever buy another mower in my lifetime; it's that good of a machine.  It is not a residential grade mower; it is a commercial grade model that is designed for 40+ hours of operation every week.  Here on the farm it sees a lot of use - frequently on some pretty rough terrain.

Mine has a 29HP Kawasaki gas engine (diesel wasn't an option back then but it is now). 

It does fine on slopes.  I routinely mow the bar ditch in front of my neighbors house which is on a 50 degree angle. If you look at the SCAG the center of gravity is very low making it difficult to turn one over.

When I bought it, I tested all of the zero turns that were in my area.  The SCAG was the best IMO, followed closely by the John Deere 797 Ztrak mower.  I did not test a Dixie Chopper, but looked at them later and thought that they were pretty heavy duty as well (along with Hustler).

Around here, if you look at what most of the professional landscape companies used back then that mowed a lot of grass, it's usually either a SCAG or a Hustler.  That was another selling point.  It is easy to work on, simple, and heavy duty.

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Al_Smith

I've got a Toro Titan 54" and mow about 2.5 acres.Takes about an hour and a half . .It will scoot right along .In two years I've got a tad over 50 hours on it .

This one has a 10 gauge welded reinforced deck where as the commercial grade ZTR model has a 7 gauge deck.Of course it's about 2-2500 dollar up charge .

My only complaint is those dang tubeless turf tires .Typical of most tubeless they leak .I've got a set of tubes for it this year .It will side hill pretty well which is probably why the thing losses air.Might have rolled the bead and caught some grass between the rim and the bead or something .

Den Socling

Geez! Mine is a cheap toy!  ;)

E fan

I shoot archery tournments with the guys at BadBoy mowers out of Batesville. If I had the yard thats probably what I'd get just for the simpicity of parts and if I needed anything to do with it

sawguy21

They will roll, that is why all the commercial models have ROPS. One of my customers managed to, he was mowing across a slope he admits he really should have left for the trimming crew, the machine slid sideways caught a rut and OOOPS!!! It went right over and landed back on it's wheels. Thanks to the roll bar and seat belt only his pride was hurt.

Raider Bill

Quote from: Al_Smith on April 25, 2016, 05:16:19 AM
I've got a Toro Titan 54" and mow about 2.5 acres.Takes about an hour and a half . .It will scoot right along .In two years I've got a tad over 50 hours on it .

This one has a 10 gauge welded reinforced deck where as the commercial grade ZTR model has a 7 gauge deck.Of course it's about 2-2500 dollar up charge .

My only complaint is those dang tubeless turf tires .Typical of most tubeless they leak .I've got a set of tubes for it this year .It will side hill pretty well which is probably why the thing losses air.Might have rolled the bead and caught some grass between the rim and the bead or something .

slime them
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

snowstorm

i bought 2 of them last week. the first one was on graigs list 820 jd i looked at it needed a little work. Kawasaki motor has 4 tabs that are part of the base where it bolts to the frame. all were broken. so it needed a base. he was asking 1k he said give me 600 and its yours. so i pay him he writes a bill of sale i tell him i will be back in the am with a trailer to get it. 20 min later i get a text saying someone that had called about it the day before was there and he sold it to him. for more money i am sure. i went back things were a little tense for a while.   next day found a toro z master at a dealer for short money and it followed me home

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: snowstorm on April 25, 2016, 05:56:16 PM
i bought 2 of them last week. the first one was on graigs list 820 jd i looked at it needed a little work. Kawasaki motor has 4 tabs that are part of the base where it bolts to the frame. all were broken. so it needed a base. he was asking 1k he said give me 600 and its yours. so i pay him he writes a bill of sale i tell him i will be back in the am with a trailer to get it. 20 min later i get a text saying someone that had called about it the day before was there and he sold it to him. for more money i am sure. i went back things were a little tense for a while.   next day found a toro z master at a dealer for short money and it followed me home

Your luck may be a blessing in disquise, however, that guy should have never shafted you.  :)

Thank You Sponsors!