iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

NAHL grading rules

Started by etat, December 25, 2004, 03:48:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

etat

Is there  a difference in distinction between retail and whole sale grading rules within the NAHL.  This whole grade thing is a bit confusing to me.
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

beenthere

I believe there is only one set of standard grading rules. However, buyer and seller can agree to changes to the rules, at which time they will be non-standard rules.

InspectorWoody: where are you?  
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sawhead

The grading rules are standard BUT there are differance in graders perception of defects , end user needs and hundreds of other variables . The only thing that is for sure that nothing is for sure .
The journey of a thousand miles begins
with a broken fan belt and a leaky tire

Ga_Boy

CK,

The way I heard it was; the NHLA rules are for Wholesale and do not apply to retail.  For Retail the standards are what ever the seller and buyer agree on.

But then agian I am not a grader, I am still learning this stuff.

Mark
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

gmmills

The rules are applied the same for both. The only difference is that wholesale the board is graded on the poor face and the board is graded on the better face for retail.
Custom sawing full-time since 2000. 
WM LT70D62 Remote with Accuset
Sawing since 1995

beenthere

gmmills
Where is the resource that this is stated?
I don't think this ("The rules are applied the same for both") is a standard procedure, as the party in between would be running a regrading operation. And just converting a 'wholesale' grade (from poor side) to a 'retail' grade (from good side) wouldn't be a straight conversion, I don't think anyway.  I realize that there are non-standard qualities of lumber sold under non-standard names, but haven't heard of this practice as a general rule or policy.
Just curious where it comes from.
I suspect most hardwood graded at a mill under the NHLA standard rules is sold to a wood operation that is remanufacturing that lumber, rather than a retail operation that is retailing it (and maybe that is where the practice of going by the good face enters in, as the retailer just prices a board by how it looks for retail sales). At that point, NHLA standard grading rules has nothing to do with the board, I don't think.  ???
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

gmmills

Beenthere,

You busted me :) Made me go to the book .  In our area retail lumber is usually sold kiln dried and surfaced 2 sides. The grade being determined on the better face only applies to S2S, surfaced lumber. I apologize for the confusion.
Custom sawing full-time since 2000. 
WM LT70D62 Remote with Accuset
Sawing since 1995

inspectorwoody

The best advice I can give is pick up a copy of the rules book which is only  seveon dollars and learn the standard set of grading rules.

For instance when I grade lumber it does in fact come down to the customer...what they will look over or accept etc.

Somethings you can push while other things you have to tighten up on.

Right now we are cutting red oak and if you have noticed the prices lately...WoW! 3A is 715/mbf!

A pin knot is a defect....but you take into consideration...does it go all the way through...the color...so on and so forth.

It can get crazy! As I write this I can't seem to find away to clearly explain it. Like I said, learn the basics and than speak with your customer(s) and set guide lines. Even when other mills buy lumber the re-inspect to determine if its on grade or not. Why pay for something if it isn't what you wanted? I think we live by that in everyday life too.

Any more questions, let me know

Gadget

Thank You Sponsors!