iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Grading course by TFG

Started by rjwoelk, August 17, 2019, 02:10:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjwoelk

So the TFG is putting on a timber grading course in Lafayette CO. I am interested in this, but it will cost me nigh to $2700 to take the course, travel, and hotel stay ,with the exchange rate. Is their a course in Canada that some one has taken that would be similar? It would be nice to be able to grade my cants for projects. Is this others have done?
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Cosmo52

I also would be interested in a timber grading course in Western Canada
Nick

Don P

Do understand that taking the class is for your personal knowledge. I've done that and thought it money and time well spent. It doesn't make you a certified grader.

Jim_Rogers

I'll forward your request to the Timber Framers Engineering Council and see if they have plans to do one out west.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

rjwoelk

they were going to do one in Washington state not sure were which would have made it about the same distance. Alberta would be fine
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Jim_Rogers

Yesterday, I received a reply to my email to the council chairman.

Here is what he said and asked me to pass on to you all:

Thanks for sending me the link to the Forestry Forum discussion. The TFEC would love to be able to offer this grading course in Canada, but unfortunately the economics of the venture do not make sense for us. 

We would appreciate it if you could respond on our behalf by saying that we're not currently in a position to offer the course in Canada, and that we would suggest that any interested folks attend the workshop in Colorado. 

Thanks again for letting me know about this discussion thread.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

flyingparks

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Rocky Mountain Joinery is only about 45 minutes from me and with a plug from Don P haw can I resist? 

rjwoelk

Don thanks for your input, I was not sure what kind of certificate or paper one would receive from this course.  I will be asking the head guy with building code as too how this may be a benefit with what I am planning. How did this course help you in your timber framing? Just looking at the justification of Money spent. 

Don P

I was speaking generally there, learning to grade is a good thing. I took the class at one of the grading agencies. It did make me look at the wood more knowledgeably. After going through all the gyrations with the math in sizing a beam it doesn't mean much if you don't know what the grade of the timber you are looking at is. So it helps close that circle. I have read what others have written after taking the TFG class and it got positive reviews, I think that one had a grader from one of the agencies teaching, as well as others.

It is certainly worth talking to your building official about it, some will view your training as meeting the intent of the law, the head of inspections for our state felt that way about my training. He would have no trouble working that in under the alternative methods and materials clause. It is however, up to the local building official, mine is... different ::).

In several states with native lumber laws there is some form of grader training.

Thank You Sponsors!