iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Look At What I Caught

Started by Gary_C, June 27, 2011, 01:32:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary_C

Late yesterday afternoon, I ran the forwarder out of fuel and had to walk back. I decided the work day was over and just locked it up and left it on the trail about 200-300 yards from the landing. Boy was I tormented on that short walk to the landing.

So this morning I was prepared for the walk back carying two one gallon jugs of diesel. And just look at what I caught.

I counted 12 of those nasty hard biting deer flys on the sticky stuff and they were still squirming when I took the picture. The one older forester that introduced me to those deer fly patches said after all the misery those deer flys had caused him over the years, the best part was watching them squirm.  ;D

With all the rain we have been having, the woods are full of bugs. There's the deer flys, horse flys, gnats, billions of mosquitoes, and of course the ever present deer ticks and wood ticks. I generally pick off 3-4 ticks per day right now.

Yes, I've gotten soft with an enclosed cab and every day I pray that my A/C will continue working.  :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

SwampDonkey

The only relief you get from those deer flies up here is during cool days half raining. They swarm like hornets in the hot sun and you can kill 3-5 with one swat.  :D By August they die off here, then we get to deal with hornet's nests.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Norm

We don't have much for deer flies around here but plenty of the others. Horse flies are really bad right now and don't let up until early August. With all the rain we've been having the skeeters have been really bad this year.

Our central AC in the house died this year at the start of the hot and humid weather. We had the house opened up to find a billion of those gnats that are too small to be stopped by the screens. I went and put in a window unit until we got ours replaced.  :D

Magicman

Thankfully our gnat problem has subsided a bit.  A few weeks ago they were really bad.  Banana Boat sunscreen lotion was the only thing that would keep them at bay.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

pineywoods

Best thing I ever found for the gnats is a big nasty smelly cigar. Gnats don't like the smoke, but the wife don't either.  ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

thecfarm

They always seem to get on my shoulder blades where my shirt is tight. My Father always called them sweat flies. They would poison him awful.They just came out here. All the black fies are gone now or have let up alot.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Skin So Soft by Avon works great for gnats and smells good too if you have a feminine side  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Grandfather used it for 30 years.  8)

The deer flies were wicked thick today and it was 83 degrees out. I saw a doe crossing a big tater field on the way to work.  Saw cow moose and calf in field in view of the house when I got home. 8)

Yesterday saw two bear (one was dead). DNR probably picked it up off the road and dumped it beside my block. Nice smell.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

jander3

Hate those things. Ticks are starting to fade, gnats are not quite as bad; however, those deer flys come out and cause plenty of misery right about now.

Gary_C

Jon, I don't know how anyone can survive in that country without those deer fly patches. If you have one of those patches on your hat, the problem just seems to disappear. The mosquitoes and ticks are another problem though.

jander3

Gary,

Where do you get the patches?  I need to try them out.

Where are you cutting?

Gary_C

Jon here is the link to those patches: deerflypatches

I originally bought a case of them many years ago and have pretty much used or sold all but a few. There may be some sporting goods stores that carry them but I don't know which ones.

I have moved to the Cheng SF just east of Pine City but will be moving out of there in a couple of weeks.

Chuck White

A guy who lives next door to my most frequent "mobile" customer has the freedom to travel the 4-wheeler trails on my customers property!

He rides his 4-wheeler around while wearing an old military helmet liner that is covered with just plain old grease, like out of a grease gun.  The grease is about 1/8 inch thick and he can go riding for 10 minutes and when he comes back he usually will have anywhere from 50 to 100 deer flies on the helmet, stuck in the grease.

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Burlkraft

Just got back from Da UP and the bugs up there are bad.
The skeeters are everywhere including the middle of the yard in blazing sun!
The deer flies are bad too.....Can't wait till fall now  :D :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Ron Scott

That sure spoils a fun visit to the U.P. woods. ;)
~Ron

SwampDonkey

I was just enjoying the evening outside in a nice breeze, not a fly in sight.  :)

Earlier in the morning I cut a wider path in between the raspberry rows and took the shovel to some burdock and afterward (2 hours) I was soaked, and that was before it got hot.

Jeff

We still had fun, just had to keep moving while on the bikes. Steve was getting a kick out of watching the deerflies swarming around my head when we did less than 15 miles an hour.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

I'm sure my woods has plenty of flies to. Another month and the flies pretty much die back a lot in the woods. Deer flies will be gone.

Thank You Sponsors!