iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need info, AGAIN

Started by Fla._Deadheader, February 11, 2005, 09:56:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

I am looking into shipping lumber from Costa Rica, into the US. I have never seen how it is stacked in a container. Can someone 'splain how that is done, and how much can be put in a 20' container, so it can be unloaded without doing 1 board at a time???  Of course, 1 board at a time is not all that difficult.  ;D ;D   Thanks
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Steve

I have shipped with both an open box type container from Hawaii. I believe the standard is 24' long. At least that is what goes out of Hawaii. Most recently I used a closed container and loaded it by hand a board at a time. Works but it is more work.
The open containers or "flat racks" as we called them would hold about 7K mbf of green Koa (at about 5 lbs per foot) and I belive they reached weight before they were completly full. Load and unload with a forklift. We covered with shade cloth and then banded the load.

That's about all I know about that.
Steve
Steve
Hawaiian Hardwoods Direct
www.curlykoa.com

Cedarman

We load containers by using one forklift to lift the bundle from the side, back the container up so one end can rest on the floor and then used another forklift to push the entire bundle forward.  We use pusher poles to push the bundle to the front.  Sometimes have to pry the bundle over to get the next beside the first.  Then repeat the process until trailer is full. Never had to worry about how they were unloaded. We put a bolster on the floor so we can get a chain under it if needed to pull it back out.  We have only loaded 40 footers though.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

submarinesailor

FDH,

Have you looked into the ALL the NEW rules for importing into the US.  After 9-11, the rules for importation of containers changed dramatically.  Go to this link, www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/publications/trade/  and scroll down to document 0000-0504 and read it over very carefully.  BTW, CBP in the link stands for "Customs and Border Protection."  I know someone who works over there – so let me try to get you the real hot-skinny on their new "Informed Compliance" program.

Fla._Deadheader

Thanks guys. All good info, as usual. Really appreciate the help. Keep the info coming. Thanks
   First, it is ridiculed;

rvrdivr

FDH are you planning on kiln drying that lumber before you ship it? I was wondering if there would be  problems with importing green lumber? I've heard storys of shipping containers sitting for months waiting for costoms to inspect them.
Also have you found a market for all that pretty wood yet?

Arthur

FDH

I dont know the rules for the US but Europe and Australia require NO sap wood and the load is required to have been treated for bugs, etc.

We also us open bundles called super stacks.  Takes the same dimentions as a 20ft container but is open. easy to load and unload.

I will get details of stacking for you.

Is the wood you are selling from a sustainable forest.  If it is we could get you the more exclusive markets in Australia, Europe and Asia. ???

arthur

Fla._Deadheader

Yes Arthur, the wood has to be certified to be from a sustainable harvest, and a LOT of the logs had identifying tags nailed into the ends. I have NO desire to chance anything. There is enough legal stuff there for me to mess with.  ;D ;D

Marlets would always be a good thing to know about. Thanks again, Arthur.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Thank You Sponsors!