iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2021 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2020, 10:05:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

caveman

Between fetching logs, cutting off limbs and loading the trailer, I sawed a trailer load of eucalyptus slabs yesterday after work.  I did not get any pictures since I was charging him by the hour.  I had to Bibby a log or two.  These logs had a lot of stress but sawed really flat.  I was kind of dreading sawing them but they sawed a lot easier than live oak.  We probably sawed 6-7 logs using cotton picker spindle lube to keep the blade clean and cool.  The blade still has life and it was resharp from my friend, Earl.  We will likely saw some more next week.

Saturday we will be sawing several water oak logs.  I passed on a good job today for 2x4's because we don't have the logs to fill the order.
Caveman

Southside

Quote from: caveman on October 14, 2021, 07:34:10 PMcutting off limbs

WHAT??  :o :o :o That sure didn't come across the way you intended it to.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

caveman

Thankfully, I'm still intact.  The logs that the customer purchased from his friend with the tree service that were dropped off in my pasture a couple of months ago still had some branch stubs (limbs) that needed to be trimmed (logs roll) were trimmed and the ends were cut back an inch or two to ensure I was not sawing into petrified wood.  There is still a pretty good whack of eucalyptus to saw but he has to get his trailer unloaded and returned so we have somewhere to put the rest.
Caveman

DWyatt

Been sawing up some pine for a neighbor since this past Saturday. Unfortunately we've only been able to saw a 2-4 hours a day with work and family commitments. Last night under the lights of our trucks we finished up all of the 8' stuff. We will start the 10' stuff, about 800bf, as soon as it stops raining. Not many pictures since we've been busting it when we have time. The woodmizer has been functioning well and we've averaged 140 bf/hr which is awesome considering the large logs are 10-14" on the big end.

All 4/4 x 4 1/2" and 6 1/2" for wall paneling, 1700 bf. Then 200 bf of 1 7/8" random width for door stock. The neighbor is building a cabin on his property in the UP. 

jrsloan1

Quote from: doc henderson on October 12, 2021, 05:44:51 PM
as long as the saw is cutting true, that is not a problem.  i have cut 1/16th inch as a test of the mill and it does well, and is fun to look at holding it up to the sun.  no way to dry it well, unless you made bentwood baskets or boxes or something.  the 1/8th inch stuff is harder to dry and gets a little wavy on the edge with stickers in my setup centered on 7.5 inches.

also trying to sticker cookes cut on a tangent.  these went into my container with a DH, and fans.  we had a nice rain with thunder a bit ago.  the cant is shown ready to make some more pieces.  this is the second half of the big 4 foot log/trunk we have been milling.  was able to cut through 7 layers at a time to make them all about 24 inches ideally to fit in the engraver.  

got some elp by my neighbor sawdust jimmy @Jim Thomas .  he did a lot of cleaning boards while a did the stickering in the shop.

my thin stock rig for the 18 x 24 stuff.
Hey Doc,  I like the outdoor table made with the barrels!!  You got any plans for making those?? LOL.
Never trust nobody cause you can't fix stupid!!!

jimbarry

Today after lunch I tackled 3 pine logs. One being the ugliest log I've ever seen. Determined though, I was. It was 19" on the small end and 32" on the other. Did I say it was an ugly log?  But, I managed to squeak a 16x14" cant along with about ten 8 to 12" wide boards.

Another pine yielded a 12x12 and the third produced a rotten center on one end so I only ended with a 5x12 and a whole bunch of random width.

WV Sawmiller

Did not touch these today before we ran out of time. 

Sawed the front 2 before/at dark. 8" wide boards out of the first and 16" wide out of the second one.

The double curves cost us some lumber but I still got quite a few 10" wide boards out of this one.

I went over 15 miles away and set up and started sawing about 4:30 pm or so. If we get a break in the weather (70% chance of rain predicted tomorrow) I'll go over and saw the other 6 and if not I'll get them Sunday afternoon. Several times repeat customer. 

It was after dark when I finished and did not get a tally yet. Took this picture in the dark. All boards are 7/8" thick and up to 16" wide. The customer asked if I could cut 7/8" thick lumber so I checked my cheat sheet. No need and 7/8" is a simple 1" setting on my SS and probably the easiest possible lumber to saw. We got some pretty RO lumber out of these logs. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Dave Shepard

Resawed some chestnut yesterday. 

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

chet

Quote from: DWyatt on October 15, 2021, 03:22:39 PM
Been sawing up some pine for a neighbor since this past Saturday. Unfortunately we've only been able to saw a 2-4 hours a day with work and family commitments. Last night under the lights of our trucks we finished up all of the 8' stuff. We will start the 10' stuff, about 800bf, as soon as it stops raining. Not many pictures since we've been busting it when we have time. The woodmizer has been functioning well and we've averaged 140 bf/hr which is awesome considering the large logs are 10-14" on the big end.

All 4/4 x 4 1/2" and 6 1/2" for wall paneling, 1700 bf. Then 200 bf of 1 7/8" random width for door stock. The neighbor is building a cabin on his property in the UP.

Yer customer gotta get in contact with one of my frequent customers. I saw for him in da UP and he hauls it back ta Ohio.    :D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

OlJarhead

Heading out to mill up two monster Ponderosa pine logs today.  Logzillas siblings ;)
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

WV Sawmiller

We had rain all morning but cleared up so I went back over and sawed the remaining 6 small to medium oak logs. I left my camera in my hunting coat as today was Youth/Senior hunting day and I'd forgotten to take it out.

I sawed about 600 bf the last 2 days and packed up and brought the mill home. I'll saw a log or two here then will be time for the 1,000 hour service. Great customer and about 4th time I've sawed for him.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

OlJarhead

2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

Magicman

I was back to sawing SYP framing lumber, 1464bf of mostly 2X4's with 17 1X12's thrown in.  I was finished and loaded up by 3:00.  
This will all be loaded onto a trailer and hauled about 150 miles and used for building a horse barn.

Note:  This job was sawn with a Wood-Mizer Doublehard 1½" X 7° Turbo (39) blade.  More on that in another topic.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

burdman_22

Started sawing a big red oak with my dad this weekend. It was 68 inches at the widest point. About 41 inches or so at the base and like 29 inches at the top. We cut the slabs 20 ft 6 inches long and 4 inches thick. We got a couple short slabs off the top and then three 20 ft slabs out after that. Probably 4 left in the log, hopefully I can finish it off this weekend or next.

WV Sawmiller

Perfect mobile job - 8 miles from home, poplar, 10' top made into 4/4 boards and other 3 - 12' longs made into 2X6's. I doesn't get much better than that. My mill turned over 1,000 hours while sawing this job. Just about 170,500 bf total during that time so just over 170 bf/ engine hour. 

We slid off the lumber on to this trailer till we figured we had all it was safe to carry and the customer just slid the rest off the end of the mill and will stack it tomorrow when he has help. as we drove around the big hay field behind his house to these log we cut off 7 big gobblers who flew into the woods behind the field.

When we finished my son showed up and helped load up. How come the "help" always shows up after the last log has been sawed?

I drove over to my son's house 2 miles from the customer's set up. We sawed this 16' hemlock and got 4-2X6's out of it. 

We sawed the 2 logs on the right and made more 10' 2X6's. We started to saw the logs on the left into 4/4 sheeting but my band broke and we were out of time as my son had to go to a ball game with the rest of the family. Our 15 y/o gd is in the band.

They are going to Dollywood tomorrow so I brought their retarded dog home with me for the weekend. The next time I am sawing in the area I'll stop and we'll saw the rest into sheeting and such. I got home just before dark and will do my 1,000 hour service on the mill tomorrow and start on the next job about 14 miles away for 2-3 days as I have to cut and stack it. 
Howard Green

Magicman

My sawing today was just that.  A day's sawing.

Some good but mostly too knotty to even bother with.

Here is another one being dragged to the burn pile.  The cut list for for only 1X7's.  I ended the day with 1636 bf and I forgot to take a picture.  The best thing was that I finished.

The other best thing is that next Thursday

I am scheduled to saw this.  The butt is 36" X 29".  He said probably 8 logs.  :)

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Looks good all around. I did my 1,000 hour service today and realized it is time to change the hydraulic filter and I did not have a replacement so I'll see if my local Advance Auto has one and if not I'll order one from WM and put it on next week.
Howard Green

TimW

Quote from: Magicman on October 23, 2021, 09:34:52 PM

The other best thing is that next Thursday

I am scheduled to saw this.  The butt is 36" X 29".  He said probably 8 logs.  :)
Lynn,
         Is that Black Walnut?
        hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

Magicman

HemlockKing

A1

Magicman

Hey, very nice.  I had a couple of ATV/walking bridges similar to that but they washed away.  ::)

HemlockKing

Quote from: Magicman on October 24, 2021, 08:13:50 AM
Hey, very nice.  I had a couple of ATV/walking bridges similar to that but they washed away.  ::)
As you go deep into my woods it turns into a swampy watershed with veins leading to a brook from everywhere! It doesn't look like much under the bridge but I assure it's a swampy mess if you tried to drive through! Can't have that. I don't believe this one will wash away though lol not enough water steaming 
A1

doc henderson

It was medical day yesterday at my house.  Brian (CRNA) and his son Dexter came over to get some material to cover a wall and make shelves for an iguana enclosure.  then Dr. Fan (pain medicine) and Dr. Hagley (cardiology) cam over and we milled up a peach tree.  Mike @Cardiodoc will dry it in a drying room he has in his shop.

the last pic is the rest of the maple cut to 1/4 inch stock to dry for coaster stock.  after this the neighbor having a birthday, stopped by for a beer.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

caveman

The fellow I sawed eucalyptus for a few weeks ago sent me a few pictures.  He does amazing wood work, owns a Nyle kiln, a 15' CNC flattening table but no mill.  I would have used a lot more stickers but he has good results.  He was really pleased how they turned out, including the stress cracks which allow him to get creative with epoxy.The guy with the man bun works for the customer.  Those are live oaks in the background.
Caveman

TimW

Quote from: Magicman on October 24, 2021, 07:25:24 AM
Absolutely !!!   8)
I have only seen it once.  Back when I was helping Dad cut up firewood for their stove.  But once you see it, you won't forget it.
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

Thank You Sponsors!