iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BB Gun Info?

Started by Jeff, December 28, 2007, 03:05:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Anybody here know anything about air rifles?  My Son has 5 that he found abandoned in the house he is renting and is wondering if they have any kind of value. Here is a photo.

First one is wood, no markings, and heavy.
2nd one is a daisy of some sort
3rd is crossman powermaster 760 plastic
There is a crossman 140, 4th one down
the 5th one is wood.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

ronwood

Jeff,

The fourth one down appears to be a Benjamin

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Furby

The 760 crossman was a widely produced one sold by box stores up untill a few years ago.
Still a few being sold if you look around.
Decent gun, for play and rodent hunting.
Will take up to ten pumps, and shoots bb's or .177 cal pellets.
Needs a few drops of oil at the pump.

Second one is a low power cheapy of days gone past.

No clue on current value of any of them though, sorry.

Jeff

THe 4th one down is marked crossman 140  .22
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

The lower power "cheapy" is the one that might have value.  Daisy's RedRyder models, and some others, are Highly collectable. Not all are, but there might be some money there and worth researching.

http://daisymuseum.com/shopping/products.asp?CategoryId=7

ely

the 4th one down would be my pick of them. i have shot each style over the years and they all aided me in my delinquncy equally well. ::)

Faron

As a kid, I had one like the second one down.  If I remember , I earned it selling garden seeds one spring. It held about 500 BB's and was a single pump gun.  Hard telling how many pounds of BB's I shot through that thing. 8) 

I recently learned Lewis and Clark took an air rifle on their expedition.  Maybe one of those is that rifle. ;) :D
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Texas Ranger

1st one is Chinese, should have a Star on it somewhere.  The second one is a Red Ryder, and I wore a couple of em out as a kid, still have the last one with broken spring.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

ely

second one is a plain old daisy, the last one is more close to the red rider.

WH_Conley

I got # 2 runnibg around here someplace, if I had all the BB's that have run through it I could sell scrap and retire. ;D
Bill

Ron Scott

All, especiallly the Daisy's, are collectable with value depending upon model, vintage, condition, etc. Also check Google for the Daisy Museum site.

http://www.bbairguns.com/guide.htm
~Ron

SwampDonkey

We never used BB guns, we had pellet guns and it's been so long ago. The pellet rifle my cousin had you pumped it by opening it up (and closing 4-5 times) like a single shotgun inserted the pellet and closed. It was a good gun, stood all kinds of abuse. Now that would be collectible too if I knew the brand.  Grandfather had a pellet pistol with large pellets, it was broken for years and never fixed. I think the air chamber was busted or something like that.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

IL Bull

Quote from: Texas Ranger on December 28, 2007, 05:09:38 PM
1st one is Chinese, should have a Star on it somewhere.  The second one is a Red Ryder, and I wore a couple of em out as a kid, still have the last one with broken spring.
I bought one close to that at a tool sale for $20 couple of years ago.  Stock isn't quite as pretty though. :(
Case Skid Steer,  Ford Backhoe,  Allis WD45 and Burg Manual Sawmill

DanG

Yep, that first one looks like the Chinese cheapo you can buy at the flea market for $20.  The second looks just like the Daisy I bought at Walmart, for Linda to discipline the dogs with.  They're about 17 bucks at Wally World.

My guess is that the bottom one is the gem in the bunch.  Looks like an old Red Ryder to me. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Furby

Been wondering about the bottom one.
Know I've seen one just like it someplace but can't put my finger on it. smiley_headscratch

Ron Scott

The bottom one looks like a Daisy Model 1938 Red Rider. They sell new for around $49.99, but I've seen some run as high as $100.00 at gun shows if a collectable depending upon year of manufacture. 1938 was the first year of manufacture.

The one above it appears to be a Benjamin as previously stated. They have been a good quality gun from what I know of them. The others are also as previously stated.
~Ron

DR_Buck

QuoteDaisy's RedRyder models, and some others, are Highly collectable.

You'll shoot your eye out !

;D :D ;D :D
Should have watched "A Christmas Story" last week, then you would have been able to see the Red Ryder in action.  ;D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

metalspinner

Dr . Buck...You beat me to it! :D :D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

sawguy21

I had the Daisy as a kid. It was great for terrorizing the chickens.  :D Somebody discovered it worked well for shooting out street lights. Hey wazzat, you talking to ME. smiley_horserider
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Dale Hatfield

The red ryders were re released about 13 years ago. I bought 2 of them one for me and dad one is still in the box. we opened one and spent most of an afternoon tring to shoot through a jar lid at Christmas. We  would give it a spin toss up and shoot at it  close range each taking turns .A day well spent . Now the old frisbee pie tins may have to be something I make up with grandma in the afterlife .
Dale
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

SPIKER

that 4th one down looked like a Sheridan or Bengirmen, they are / were independent companies then merged then I think bought out by daisy?  the OLD ones were made in Germany and where quite good guns, in 5MM and also in 22 cal.   later in 177  5mm and 22 cal,

mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Don_Papenburg

The Illinois outlawmakers class the Benjy 22 cal pellet gun as a ,GASP , firearm and must be acompanied by a FOID card .
The second one looke just like the junk daisey bb gun I had ,the spring was week made of junk steel .  I installed a spacer to add power to the spring . That only lasted a week or so and it weekened furter to the point of bearly spitting the bb past the barrel .
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Cedarman

50 years ago I can remember walking down the street in Tipton In with my friend and each of us carrying a pump bb gun.  We would go to old sheds and hunt English sparrows that had bedded for the night.  It was common in those days to see kids with an air rifle.

You could mine iron ore where I grew up.

I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Tom

I wasn't allowed to have a BB gun.  They were dangerous.  I was, instead, given a .410.

Charlie and Ben got one though.  Grrrrr. 

My one experince with a BB gun that I remember vividly was taking Charlies on a walk down the road one day on a hunting trip.  I shot a TitMouse that was hopping around in the bushes and took it, proudly, to show to Granddad.  I didn't know what it was and thought he might.  He did!   And, as I recall was quite adamant about how he presented the rule of "you eat what you shoot" to me.  :-\   I didn't have much use for the BB gun after that. :D

SwampDonkey

The only birds that were fair game here was the pigeons, starlings and English Sparrows. To harm a swallow, robin or killdeer or any native song bird was taboo. And never shoot a raptor whether owl, hawk or eagle.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!