The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: BB Gun Info?  (Read 12108 times)

Offline SPIKER

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: BB Gun Info?
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2007, 03:51:41 PM »
that 4th one down looked like a Sheridan or Bengirmen, they are / were independent companies then merged then I think bought out by daisy?  the OLD ones were made in Germany and where quite good guns, in 5MM and also in 22 cal.   later in 177  5mm and 22 cal,

mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Offline Don_Papenburg

• Senior Member x2
  • I need money
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2007, 08:32:25 PM »
The Illinois outlawmakers class the Benjy 22 cal pellet gun as a ,GASP , firearm and must be acompanied by a FOID card .
 The second one looke just like the junk daisey bb gun I had ,the spring was week made of junk steel .  I installed a spacer to add power to the spring . That only lasted a week or so and it weekened furter to the point of bearly spitting the bb past the barrel .
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Offline Cedarman

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Cedarusa
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2007, 08:01:37 AM »
50 years ago I can remember walking down the street in Tipton In with my friend and each of us carrying a pump bb gun.  We would go to old sheds and hunt English sparrows that had bedded for the night.  It was common in those days to see kids with an air rifle.

You could mine iron ore where I grew up.

I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Offline Tom

• In Memoriam
    • Share Post
    • Toms Saw
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2007, 11:43:14 AM »
I wasn't allowed to have a BB gun.  They were dangerous.  I was, instead, given a .410.

Charlie and Ben got one though.  Grrrrr. 

My one experince with a BB gun that I remember vividly was taking Charlies on a walk down the road one day on a hunting trip.  I shot a TitMouse that was hopping around in the bushes and took it, proudly, to show to Granddad.  I didn't know what it was and thought he might.  He did!   And, as I recall was quite adamant about how he presented the rule of "you eat what you shoot" to me.  :-\   I didn't have much use for the BB gun after that. :D
extinct

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2007, 11:49:27 AM »
The only birds that were fair game here was the pigeons, starlings and English Sparrows. To harm a swallow, robin or killdeer or any native song bird was taboo. And never shoot a raptor whether owl, hawk or eagle.
No amount of belief makes something a fact. James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

Offline ely

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2007, 03:36:06 PM »
we were a touch different when i was growing up............as in we killed everything big enough to die..........unless we were at grannys house..........then the mocking birds were off limits. i never did shoot any song birds and such growing up in the city, but when we moved to the country and i got me a trapline i used every specie there was at one time or other.cardinals was bestest :o

Offline Cedarman

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Cedarusa
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2008, 08:38:40 AM »
Swampdonkey, we had same rules.  We had lots of barnswallows. If we had shot one of those, we wouldn't have been able to sit down for a week.  Before chemicals came along we had all kinds of songbirds, rabbits, pheasants etc.  I can remember bob-o-links every spring in the hay fields.  Now no one knows what they are.

Popping mice in the corn crib was great sport also.

Offline Lud

• Senior Member x2
  • Impetuous.... Homeric....
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2008, 11:08:37 AM »
A BB in the but is a good way to run off a stray dog pestering the barncats.  That's why I got another Red Ryder 40 years after my first one ,  not so much juice that you'd hurt 'em,  just sting 'em.   

It's aggravating the way a critter will look over their shoulder at you  with that smirky,  you-can't-get-me look.......  mighty satisfying to be able to reach  out with the Red Ryder and "touch someone"!
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Offline Cedarman

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Cedarusa
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2008, 11:19:08 AM »
Hogs have tough hides.  We had this big boar that we used for breeding. We thought it would be fun to shoot the testicles with the bb gun.  We did.  It would retract and the other would pop out.  Shoot it and watch them reverse.  About the 3d time we did it the boar did a 180 and charged with a 2 foot wide open mouth with 6 inch tusks.  Luckily we could hop the fence a few feet away.  We had to hit the bathroom and clean our britches out.  We didn't do that again.

Offline pineywoods

• Senior Member x2
  • Engineering analysis-just sittin thinkin about it
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2008, 11:39:26 AM »
Got my first Daisy red ryder at age 8, kept it till I got old enough to buy a single shot 22. If it could be shot with a bb, I've done it. The only thing that was safe was the purple martins. got where I could hit a bumble bee in mid-air (well not every time). Still keep one here to handle the stray dogs and cats.. Never shot my eye out ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Offline Trax

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2008, 03:10:43 PM »
The 4 th one is a crossman .22 pellet. That one looks like a pump, the one I had was the same model but CO2. the last one is not a Red Rider . That one was my first BB gun I don't remember the model . I still have it but the barrel insert is missing. To load it you twist the end of the barrel to open a port, if you keep twisting the center of the barrel will come out. The Red Rider was more like the the second one but with a forearm.

Offline Furby

• Senior Member x2
  • Blurb....
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2008, 03:38:46 PM »
I forgot that I was going to post some pics here.
I dug out a few old guns of my Grandpa's.
I don't belive Jeff's #2 to be a Red Ryder, I think it's a cheaper Daisy, than the Red Ryder.
This first one is indeed a Daisy Red Ryder, all the Red Ryder's I've ever seen have it written on them.
As Trax said, the end cap twists open to load a bunch of BB's.

This one is a single shot Crosman 140 .22 pellet gun.

This one is an older Crosman .22 pellet gun with brass barrel/feed tube. It's in rough shape and don't work anymore.
It is a repeater though as you can load several pellets at once.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Need some info!

Started by old3dogg on General Board

5 Replies
Last post April 12, 2005, 05:12:44 AM
by old3dogg
xx
Any new info on the............?

Started by MMFaller39 on Chainsaws

1 Replies
Last post July 23, 2009, 12:41:49 AM
by sawmilllawyer