iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Norwood cam dogs... norwood policy

Started by shelbycharger400, December 22, 2011, 04:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbycharger400

I contacted norwood in regards to their cam dogs/ saw dogs, i pondered just buying them due to im having issues with my constructed dogs, and i liked thier componets.  i have another idea now.   this is the response i recieved .

Good Morning, Mr. Drews:
Thank you for your inquiry regarding Norwood's Cam Dogs.
Unfortunately, it is Norwood company policy not to sell any sawmill components to anyone that does not own a Norwood mill.  The exception to this is our bandsaw blades, and non-mill related forestry equipment (log handling/skidding equipment).
Sorry for the inconvenience.
Have a good day,
Chris
Chris Duck  B.A. Hons., M.E.T.
Norwood Industries Inc.
Canada: 1660 Hwy 11 North, Kilworthy, ON  Canada P0E 1G0
U.S.A.:    252 Sonwil Drive, Buffalo, NY. USA 14225
Tel: (705) 689-2800
Fax (705) 689-1982
e-mail:     cduck@norwoodindustries.com

rph816

That seems to be the defacto Woodmizer policy as well.  Maybe all the companies do this.  Could be a liabiltiy issue, could be an attempt to protect IP, could be stodgy, who knows.

Ryan

Dan_Shade

it also puts a damper on repairing a stolen machine.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

bama20a

Quote from: Dan_Shade on December 22, 2011, 05:45:17 PM
it also puts a damper on repairing a stolen machine.
What if you had bought a mill,second hand?
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

POSTON WIDEHEAD

If you buy a Mill 2nd hand, make sure the serial # is transferred over to you through the company. Then you will be able to buy parts at will.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Chuck White

If you were to buy a Wood-Mizer, the title would also change hands!

Then you would call Wood-Mizer to list you as the registered owner and of course the seller would also contact them to let them know that the mill had changed hands.

From that point on, Wood-Mizer would treat you as though you had bought a new mill from them.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Dan_Shade

When I bought my mill, the old owner mentioned transferring the owner listing or whatever it's called, he called WM while I was standing beside him, and told them he had just sold his mill, and handed me the phone.  I gave them my info, and now ordering parts is as easy as calling Marty Parsons and saying "Marty, I need a new speed control potentiometer", and one magically appears in the mail a few days later  :-)
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Mike@Norwood

Hello guys

Mr. Shade hit the nail on the head

It's our policy that we only sell Norwood replacement parts to registered owners. For every mill that changes hands, we contact the previous owner to verify the transaction. Once confirmed, we update our records and transfer the ownership of the sawmill.

We do this to help protect your investment. Norwood mills are valuable and attractive to thieves. We won't support anyone but registered Norwood owners with parts. It's just one of the ways that we at Norwood show our loyalty and commitment to our customers and say thank you for choosing to join and become a member of the Norwood Family.

I'm sorry that we can't help you out, and I hope you understand.

Have a great night,

Mike at Norwood

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

Makes a lot of sense.

Also, might save having one copied in China and see it being sold at the nt chop suey shop.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

shelbycharger400

mike@norwood...i understand that aspect, im posting this for anyone who is in the same  boat as me in fab'in

beenthere,  unfortunately if "china" wants one, they buy one and reverse engineer it, change a few things then call it a new product and away they go, out of the pattent jurisdiction.  also, not all pattents are global pattents.

Jeff

They don't buy one unless they buy the whole mill now do they.  I can say the same goes for fabricators. You could buy one and make a whole bunch of em.  I still don't understand the motivation for the post, but I guess it is what it is.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

shelbycharger400

well..jeff... i wanted to buy the parts,  figured id post it so others know that they are unavailable as well

bandmiller2

Shelby,if I had a norwood I'd order you a couple,but I can see the co's reasoning. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!