iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bobcat and foam filled tires

Started by Stephen1, December 27, 2012, 06:41:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen1

gentlmen, thought I would start here, I have an 1992 742B Bobcat, propane. It has split rim foam filled tires, 2 are spinning on the rims. What can I do with them? Should I just go buy new tires and rims, not much info around me on them except they are expensive,like $7-800 per wheel. I believe this unit came out of a mine, being propane.
cheers,
Stephen
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

shinnlinger

I might try bead locking the tires.   4x4 folks do this with weld on kits for the rims and since bobcat rim size isn't so exotic, you might find a kit that fits.   But since you aren't  taking it to tractor shows I bet you could fab up some with plate and a torch
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

pineywoods

Drill some small (like 1/8 inch) holes in the rim and right into the tire bead. Screw stainless sheet metal screws into the holes and into the tire bead. If it still slips, you didn't use enough screws.  ;D Works good on monster tractors, should last forever on a skid steer
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

thecfarm

I've heard of that on weekend drag cars too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

shinnlinger

http://www.atozfabrication.com/store/product.php?productid=16169
this is what I was thinking but if you can make it work with just screws even better. I also think you could fab something up for alot less if you need more rim material or if the bead is worn from continual slipping.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Stephen1

Well it worked, I bought some 1.5" #12 self tapping screws,. I bought 100 and put in 25 per side on 2 wheels. It was a lot of work, but the tires do not spin any more. I then took a set of chains I had on my old Mobility Dipper loader, and placed them on the bobcat , back tires. I placed the screwed tires and rims on the front.  8)This bobcat is unstopable now, plowed the driveway like there a dream.
My next repair is the radiator. It seems I now have an over heatiing problem.  will I be able to pull the rad and take it to a rad shop? Is it generic enough for them to rebuild or will I have to get an OEM?
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Weezer

We just did one in a New Holland. Doubt it's the same as the Bob, but it was about the easiest thing to do on the machine. It's made to tip out a bit to clean, pretty much the hoses hold it in place when the rear hatch is open. It had broken the outer frame from the upper tank, radiator shop cleaned and resoldered, I think the boss said $60.......It's thick and all brass, so a recore is probably $$$$$.

Thank You Sponsors!