The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Norwood hd 36  (Read 5436 times)

Offline muskoka guy

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Norwood hd 36
« on: April 05, 2013, 07:02:06 PM »
We went to the Norwood Outlet in Kilworthy Ontario today. Saw some mx 34s on display.  I asked about the hd 36 that dboyt had spoke of. The rep said they would be available in about four weeks time, and would be replacing the mx 34. Basically the only difference is the ability to cut two more inches. The price will remain the same.  We were thinking of taking the plunge next week and buying the mill. Do you think it is worth it to wait four weeks for the ability to cut two more inches. We have a small job waiting for us and we might miss out if we wait. Are there that many times you said, gee if I could only cut two more inches, Any thoughts. thanks.

Offline Ga Mtn Man

• Senior Member x2
  • Y'all can call me GMM
    • Share Post
Re: Norwood hd 36
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 08:12:35 PM »
I would wait.  You're likely going to have that mill for a long time and the loss of one small job won't amount to anything.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Offline WoodenHead

• Share Post
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 08:15:05 PM »
Do you know for certain that you would have to wait only 4 weeks?  When I was originally looking for a mill I seriously considered an MX34, but only if the hydraulics were available.  I was told they would be available in a month.  It turned out to be 6+ months (and I can understand that given it was something new for them).  In the end I went a totally different direction anyway and bought a Woodmizer  ;D

The two extra inches can come in handy when you're dealing primarily with logs that are at the limit of your mill.  My LT28 was supposed to be able to cut a 32 inch log.  Comfortably it could handle a 24" at the small end given that logs have taper and sweep and odd shapes.  Some of the guys here on the forum cut logs larger than the capacity of their mill, but I think they spend a great deal of time doing so.   ;)

Some people have commented that depth at which you can do your maximum width cut is a little shallow on a Norwood.  So stretching a couple more inches might not mean a whole lot anyway.  TimberKing mills are well designed for width and depth.  They have a real advantage there.

That's my two cents (which would now be rounded down to nothing since we did away with pennies here in Canada??)  :D

Offline papow22

• Share Post
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 08:29:49 PM »
Now the Canadians are going to to say "that's my 5 cents".Also doing away with paper bills on 20's,50's,100's,talk about saving !!!!. :D
That's my two cents (which would now be rounded down to nothing since we did away with pennies here in Canada??) 
Lives to do sawdust,run a trapline,hunt big game,live life to it's most.Got 4 mills a circle mill,(2 band sawmills) Norwood's 2000, Trim Saw,Beam Machine (chainsaw mill).

Offline muskoka guy

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 08:31:22 PM »
I was told four weeks by the rep. That is one thing that concerns me. If four weeks turns into two months, it would be cutting into the already short summmer  >:( we get here in Muskoka. I sure hate to jump the gun and wish later we had waited. Maybe Ill see if the rep will guarantee us delivery, maybe with a late penalty discount if they dont pony up on time. (good luck eh ;D)

Offline Ga Mtn Man

• Senior Member x2
  • Y'all can call me GMM
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 09:19:32 PM »
If Norwood is selling the HD36 at the same price as the MX34, it is very surprising that they would release the HD36 until they've sold out of the MX34.  Seems like they'd have to discount the MX34 to get them to move. ???
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Offline muskoka guy

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 09:31:27 PM »
The rep said they are selling 15 mx 34s a month. The list price was $7990. They are on sale for $7595 plus tax cdn. This is all manual and he said he would throw in a set of 10 leg levelers.

Offline dboyt

• Senior Member x2
  • Log On!
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 06:37:09 PM »
Realistically, whatever mill you have, you'll probably push it to the limit!  I've got a 38" diameter sweetgum next in line to cut with my MX34, and anticipate no problems.  A little trimming with a chain saw, and it is good to go!  I'll post photos of the process, if you'd like to see them, but it is probably something that everyone with a mill has done from time to time.  I wouldn't hesitate to go with the MX34.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Offline hamish

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 07:28:49 PM »
I have had a 31" pine on my ML26, just takes a little juggling, and judgement.   Besides you will find that milling smaller logs are more productive, and a lot less work.
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

Offline dboyt

• Senior Member x2
  • Log On!
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 03:53:45 PM »
I have had a 31" pine on my ML26, just takes a little juggling, and judgement.   Besides you will find that milling smaller logs are more productive, and a lot less work.

Hamish, I agree 100%.  Getting the log lined up for cutting... then you have to turn it.  I just hate to see a good log go to waste, even though it is more productive to cut smaller ones.  On the bright side, the bigger logs tend to have better quality wood, and you can get more quartersawn boards from them.  That the mill is stout enough to take just about anything you can load on it.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Offline scully

• Orange Mills Matter
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 10:35:49 PM »
I like to flitch some logs for rustick building 2" is a mile in my book ...Just sayin..
I bleed orange  .

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
SAVE BIG on Your New Norwood Mill with Norwoods Super-Spring Sawmill Sale

Started by Mike@Norwood on Norwood Sawmills USA Inc.

0 Replies
Last post March 25, 2011, 10:33:44 AM
by Mike@Norwood
xx
Norwood cam dogs... norwood policy

Started by shelbycharger400 on Sawmills and Milling

13 Replies
Last post December 23, 2011, 07:54:33 AM
by bandmiller2
xx
Norwood HD 36

Started by Keith Shirley on Sawmills and Milling