Would you Purchase One Again?

Started by Glenn1, December 06, 2014, 09:52:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn1

I've been really looking at the Norwood Sawills as my first sawmill. I've been impressed with the components that they use.  If you had to purchase one again, would you?  When you remove your boards from a cant, do they all measure the same thickness?
Have you had many problems with the mill?
Thanks
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

Glen Sutton

I bought the LM29 as my first band mill. It really works well for me. I've had no problem with maintaining accuracy of the thickness of boards. Similarly, my timbers turn out straight and true, to the extent that the machine base has been aligned and levelled properly. The Vee twin briggs really rocks. My only complaint is that its too cold to use the saw in january. Best wishes if you do purchase one.
Duncan

jdw

What kind of production can you get out of yours in a day?

Jeff

Asking what kind of production another individual can get out of a given mill is absolutely irrelevant to what you want to know. You will be the ultimate deciding factor in that, depending on your experience, your work ethic and attitude, the amount of help you have, the support equipment you use, the log size and type, the dimensions of the lumber you cut from those logs and on and on and on.  And everyone of those variables will be different for any other individuals situation, making the question perhaps fun to ask, but the information received, irrelevant.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

jdw

Well I feel the question is a good one. All I wonna know is how much production you can get out of the mill in a day. Now norwood says 4000 a day now that sounds a little far fetched to me but possible  under perfect conditions I guess. I just want a basic idea of what the mill can produce.

Jeff

My reply stands. Do you have prior experience as a sawyer with any mill?

beenthere

jdw

I notice you had a mill before... think it was a Hud-son ?  What were your daily bdft production totals looking like?
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,82402.msg1257078.html#msg1257078

Also, what production do you think you will need to meet your needs (IIRC you are planning to live off the production of the mill).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jdw

Yes I do several years also have equipment to move logs and 2 off bearers so my question Stands as well how much production is realistic? :o

beenthere

And your production was what? 
Seems that is relevant to your question about others' production, as well as in your planning to get a Norwood mill instead of the Frick circular mill.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jdw

Ok let me ask like this. You have a yard full of 16 inch 14 foot white oak logs a norwood LM 29 three people working the mill, the temperature  outside is 87 degrees with a 10mph wind coming from the southeast. Your truck has white wall tires and there's 3 cows grazing to your left Oh yea you got a tractor to put logs on the mill. How many bf could you cut a day :D

beenthere

south central Wisconsin

jdw

All jokes aside I'm just wondering I had a hudson 328 bought new and ran for a few years cut lots of lumber with it but it was slow real slow. That's why I wanted a circle saw I know with the people I got helping me and the addition of a edger we could put out lots of lumber and that's what my goal is. But went and looked at the old frick and it was suppose to be a running mill and wasnt. The mill it's self was in great shape missing a few parts but nothing big. But the diesel power unit seemed kinda rough under normal circumstances  this wouldn't have been an issue I would have bought it went through the motor. But due to getting my walking papers at work and people already wanting lumber I was forced to make a decision  so I can get up cutting asap. But at the same time I read about woodmizer and a few other mills according to what I've read the lm 29 has the best bang for the buck. I'm just asking the question cause I'm hoping not to be in the same boat as I was with the Hudson . :'(

red

If You Ran a Sawmill for Years? . .how many bf a day did you cut?
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Glenn1

And to think, my original question was "Would you purchase the mill again"    :D :D :D :D
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

Jeff

Quote from: jdw on April 02, 2015, 05:14:47 PM
Ok let me ask like this. You have a yard full of 16 inch 14 foot white oak logs a norwood LM 29 three people working the mill, the temperature  outside is 87 degrees with a 10mph wind coming from the southeast. Your truck has white wall tires and there's 3 cows grazing to your left Oh yea you got a tractor to put logs on the mill. How many bf could you cut a day :D

You would cut nothing as you would still be asking how much you could cut. Like I said, you can ask and get answers, but having been a commercial sawyer for over 25 years, working with hundreds of different people and observing dozens of other sawyers, I know for a fact that the mill, as long as it is in working condition as designed, has very little to with what your eventual production will be.  I'm not trying to be smart, I'm trying to let you know what the reality is. If the manufacturer says 4000 feet, that should be your highest bench mark, not what some other random person may have achieved with unknown variables.

jdw

Well with the ol under powered hudson you would be lucky at very best I'd say 1500 a day  of course you had to allow time to get it running fix broken stuff the dogs were bad to break bend. I mean this mill was as manual as they come  but in fairness to hudson they did say 200 ft and hour would pretty much be max.I do plan though on getting a edger with this new mill so that should speed up things quite a bit. I guess a better way to word the question would have been. Which produces lumber quicker hudson 328 or norwood LM 29 8) but hey we wouldn't be having this big scientific  conversation  had I went that route  :D

red

I wonder what your Boss was thinkin as he gave you Those Walkin Papers

Glenn1

Quote from: red on April 02, 2015, 06:51:07 PM
I wonder what your Boss was thinkin as he gave you Those Walkin Papers

:D :D :D

jdw

So let me get this straight your trying to take cheap shots at me but not intelligent  enuff to to answer a simple question about getting production out of a mill? OK then ::)

red

You really should not have said my truck has white wall tires. . . It was Fair Game from there
But Jeff answered your Question in his. First Sentence

Southside

Are those dairy or beef cows?  Are you responsible for them or do you have nothing to do with them? Also do you use MiG grazing or just open range them?  Being a dairy farmer and beginning sawyer I feel I am qualified to ask those questions because the answers will have a big impact on what that saw mill will produce. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

red

Ok JDW here is what you missed.  . Everyone is welcome to pull up a stool relax ask questions share info. . . You are not the first to ask these questions.  . . You were Extremely Lucky that Jeff took time out of his day to give you any answer. . . Then BEENTHERE also tried to help out.  . . One thing we will not do is tell you which mill is better faster cheaper nicer etc etc you Sir need to do Your due diligence.  . And make up your mind.  . Another thing you will hear is sawmill compared to pickup trucks. . We don't fight over pickup trucks Either
And most people here genuinely Love Sawmilling. Timber Framing Logging or we would not be here
I tell everyone who is new to go to www.Tomssaw.com because Tom set the Tone
The Lumber Industry is run by Gentleman not Thugs
So if you need some help this maybe a good place for you.
Everyone is welcome

red

I just put on my Red Shirt today.  . Have a Great Day! ! !