The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Anybody own or run a Norwood?  (Read 4080 times)

Offline hamish

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: Anybody own or run a Norwood?
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2015, 03:12:37 PM »
I own a Norwood, and have run the full Hydraulic MX34/HD36.  Unless you are looking at production milling, there are better uses for your money versus the hydraulic options in my opinion. Mill placement and support equipment are much more vital.  A simple log deck, and a winch work wonders.
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

Online Southside

• Administrator
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2015, 03:59:05 PM »
Thanks Hamish,  What I am trying to do is eat my cake and have it too.  I have a few projects of our own to complete, thus I want a mill, I figure there is a lot of timber that I practically give away (dead standing, nice sycamore that goes into pallet stock, etc) through my logging operation that I could capture more value out of by running it through a mill and try to develop a local market for - thus the one day need for hydraulics as that develops, right now I don't see a market for custom on site milling, but should that develop as part of my value added attempt then I would want to be able to capture that as well, all while keeping my 1st part of the investment lower..... Like I said trying to eat my cake and have it too...
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2015, 04:35:13 PM »
What I am trying to do is eat my cake and have it too.
I see nothing wrong with that.  It only means that you are objectively looking at all options and squeezing every drop out of your $$$.  Smart.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Geoff Miller

• Share Post
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2015, 11:58:28 AM »
I purchased the HD36 manual mill last April. I struggled with the option of adding the hydraulics but in the end I decided not to. I did get the log loading and turning option which I am very happy with. I have loaded and turned logs up to 2000 lbs. without significant effort. It certainly takes more time but I do this as more of a hobby and I am retired. I will eventually move the mill to a 300 acre property and hunt camp up north. I plan to use the money I would have spent for mill hydraulics, to purchase a smaller loader tractor. Logs can be loaded to a log deck at the mill and I will have a tractor for lots of other activity around the property such as skidding/pulling logs, brushing out trails, road maintenance etc. As for the mill, I am very happy with how it functions. The only thing I have added is
a tach/hour metre. The tach gives me feedback on how the engine and blade are operating and the engine hour metre gives me the maintenance interval.

Offline kameljoe21

• Share Post
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2015, 05:53:14 PM »
I run a Norwood LumberLite ML26 ( im pretty sure this is the right one ) with my neighbor who is 80
its just a basic one nothing fancy, we only cut cotton wood here in eastern colorado, we dont use the watering system at all, it just gums up the sawdust
it works and cuts great, but i do hate the way the dogs are setup and the type that they are, I have been thinking about making my own swing blade mill, the bandsaw is great but takes too much work on my part to turn the logs all the time, for me i dont need slabs of cotton wood i want dimensional lumber

Offline drobertson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2015, 06:58:06 PM »
I may be out of line here, but have to say, Dboyt has one, but I have a bad feeling that his dad may not be doing well,  I just know if things were normal Dave would pipe in on this one,  I just hope things are well for their family,  I know these mills when set up right, like most every other mill, will chunk out the lumber.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
SAVE BIG on Your New Norwood Mill with Norwoods Super-Spring Sawmill Sale

Started by Mike@Norwood on Norwood Sawmills USA Inc.

0 Replies
Last post March 25, 2011, 10:33:44 AM
by Mike@Norwood
xx
Norwood cam dogs... norwood policy

Started by shelbycharger400 on Sawmills and Milling

13 Replies
Last post December 23, 2011, 07:54:33 AM
by bandmiller2
xx
Norwood 36

Started by mailman on Sawmills and Milling