iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timberking computer setworks

Started by rconkie, August 09, 2015, 01:40:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rconkie

Are there any Timberking bandmill owners or operators on the forum? I would like to get a discussion going on the computer setworks system they are running on their mills... So Timberking owners please reply.

pine

Yes.  What seems to be the issue that you are seeking input on? 
Problems with or problems understanding how it works? 
New one or older version and it may or may not matter but what/which mill?

xlogger

I had a little problem at first with my setworks. But after running it for awhile its fine now. I think it was because of being too tight sliding up and down. Steve told me that his brothers one was off some to start with and he shim up the white pads and it was ok after that. I think my pads just worn down and it fixed itself. Also Larry on here I believe did the same as my 2000 did. But I do wish they would make them so you could measure from the last cut instead of from the bottom. After running it I'm just figured out to over come that. I know Will going to see this so, so Will is something coming in the future? Overall I'm satisfied with the setworks and machine.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

woodman58

I have a TK 1400 with simple set. All I do is set the height at the top of the board I am cutting, make my cut, bring the head back to the beginning, and hit the button to go down my selected board thickness. The set works adds the blade thickness. My boards always consistent from one end to the other.
i LOVE THE SMELL OF SAW DUST IN THE MORNING.
Timberking 2200

rconkie

Well I have a Timberking 2000 that I just got in April, the mill has only 120 hours on it right now. I have the new setworks Timberking is offering, the Advanced computer setworks. And basically it's been giving me trouble since the beginning.... the setworks is very inconsistent when it comes to using my presets and auto saw, most of the time far more than 1/16" that they claim it should operate within. I have been trying to resolve the problem through Timberking service department over the phone and so far they have had me change out the setworks box itself and the encoder twice... I'm very frustrated that I can saw faster manually than with setworks and frankly I am fed up with dealing with all the miscut lumber when using auto saw. I paid extra for the Advanced computer setworks so I didn't have to cut manually. Any one else encountering this? And any suggestions on possible solutions to this problem? Because for some reason Timberking just hasn't been able to resolve it yet. I love the way the mill functions and cuts, but am not yet sold on the quality of their setworks... any suggestions I will surely look into, I want to be able to use the auto saw feature. .. that's what I paid for.

ladylake

Check those white plastic blocks on the post that the head rides up and down on, if they are to tight and binding your setworks  won't work right.  I put some shims between them and took off a little plastic on the sides, try and get a 1/16 or so gap  between them and the post.  Also did you get your delay set a 5 seconds or so, the older mills came set at over 1 minute and you would be sawing the next board before the computer knew where it was.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Ga Mtn Man

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

rconkie

Thanks GA MTN MAN.... I will check those white blocks and yes my delay setting is set at 5 sec. I'm surprised Timberking service didn't have me check that as many times as I've had them on the phone trying to resolve this issue.

Larry

It is frustrating, especially when intermittent and changes don't seem to help.  I suffered for a couple of years off and on.

This is the procedure I'm using now and haven't had any trouble for quite a while.

First thing in the morning I make two opening cuts on two sides without using the setworks.  This is to warm up the hydraulics a bit.  Next I make a drop and count to five, repeat five times.  I'm not cutting wood at this point just making false drops.  The reason I do this is to let the error detection of the setworks calibrate its self.  The reason this step is needed is because when I quit on the previous day the hydraulic fluid was hot and now its cold...change in viscosity effects accuracy.

I always make my drops with the engine at full throttle.

I never do any other hydraulic functions while the carriage is making a drop.

I always squirt atf on the white blocks and post first thing in the morning.  Recently switched to a different product but the jury is still out as too how effective it is.  Trying to find a something that is a little less messy.

If I stop for a while and feel the hydraulic fluid may have changed temperature I make three false drops  before sawing a board.

Hope this helps a bit.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Will_Johnson

Just as a point of information the term "TimberKing Setworks" can refer to a few different configurations:

1) Setworks used on the now discontinued B-20 Model.
2) Advanced Setworks Version 1 used on many 2000, 2200 and 2400 Models and (as an upgrade) on some 1600 Models.
3) Setworks Plus used on many 1600 Models and (as an upgrade) on some 1400 Models.
4) Advanced Setworks Version 2 which is probably not relevant as it's just come on-line in the last few months.

In addition because we are constantly improving our machines certain components of these have changed over the years, though the software has stayed pretty much the same. So especially within category 2 there are a few different variations.

So keep this in mind as you gather information from owners.

I would also suggest that given the variables, a phone call to the service department of the manufacturer never hurts!

:)

It's a free call and we're here to help. 1-800-942-4406.

ladylake

Will  If you haven't done so you really need to put a little space between those plastic blocks and the post, any binding will not work when you have to allow coast time as it will not coast as far if those blocks are too tight on the post in certain spots. My brothers TK 2000 goofed up around the 5" mark quite a bit , when I loosened those plastic blocks the problem went away, also no need for lube if they have a little clearance.  Does the advanced setworks let one change thickness from one cut to the next like my B20 setworks  does, with a good cord reel the B20 setworks work great  .Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Geeg

Quote from: Will_Johnson on August 10, 2015, 11:10:53 AM
Just as a point of information the term "TimberKing Setworks" can refer to a few different configurations:

1) Setworks used on the now discontinued B-20 Model.
2) Advanced Setworks Version 1 used on many 2000, 2200 and 2400 Models and (as an upgrade) on some 1600 Models.
3) Setworks Plus used on many 1600 Models and (as an upgrade) on some 1400 Models.
4) Advanced Setworks Version 2 which is probably not relevant as it's just come on-line in the last few months.

In addition because we are constantly improving our machines certain components of these have changed over the years, though the software has stayed pretty much the same. So especially within category 2 there are a few different variations.

So keep this in mind as you gather information from owners.

I would also suggest that given the variables, a phone call to the service department of the manufacturer never hurts!

:)

It's a free call and we're here to help. 1-800-942-4406.

Will, how do I know which Advanced Setworks Version I have? Mill was delivered in late June, model was a 2200.
Retired Airbus 380 Captain. Timberking 2200,  Kioti RX6010PC,  Nyle Kiln KD250, Polaris WV850

Will_Johnson

Lady Lake: yes the blocks need to act more as a guide and during break in period, or due to changing seasons etc these may need to be adjusted slightly.

Geeg: give us a call at 1-800-942-4406 and we can figure this out. It's pretty straightforward!

rconkie

I want to extend a very sincere thank you to all Timberking owners/operators who followed my post and the Advanced computer setworks problem I experienced, your advice and suggestions proved very helpful.
   And also a huge thank you to Timberking and their staff. You truely displayed integrity and professionalism in working through this problem. Excellent example to of what makes your company an industry leader! And that you Jason at Timberking, you done great work on our saw today, you are a great Repersentive of Timberking.

pine

Yes Jason is worth every dollar they pay him. He would be a great service manager.  Jimmy is great at trouble shooting as well.

What was the final resolution as the solution to your issue?   Was a single thing or was it several things all combining together.

rconkie

Problem solved!
It's been awhile since I been on the forum but thought I should update this post and let all know that our timberking advanced computer setworks problem is solved and the saw and setworks is operating perfectly!
After Timberking service department examined and worked on our mill they agreed there was inconsistencies with the auto saw features beyond acceptable tolerances. Timberking insured me that the problem would get resolved and in a timely manner. .. Timberking and their staff followed through with that promise and I could not be happier with the setworks performance, now I never see more than 1/16" variations using auto saw and rarely is there even that much, 90% of the time it's dead on.
The solution was a new setworks box that I believe had some updated programming and also to install a hydraulic restrictor into the valve body. The restrictor does slow the saw head down but only during auto saw operations which I am actually satisfied with because it allows smooth up/down movement and impressive consistency.
Thank you Timberking for your time and effort to insure your mills quality!
And to anyone considering a bandmill do not overlook Timberking! They produce a quality bandmill and will stand behind their equipment 100%...

Thank You Sponsors!