iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Show us your wood-hauling truck

Started by JuniperBoss, January 28, 2013, 03:29:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logging logginglogging

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on January 29, 2013, 03:11:02 PM
I usually use my beater 1986 1/2 ton chevy plow truck to haul wood. Its a real gem complete with invisible floors, busted back window, and lots of dents.
Ah the firewood through the back window..... lots of us have done that many many times........

doc henderson

1976 ford state dump truck.

just kidding!!! :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

test drove this yesterday, 29,000 original miles, air compressor, water pump generator.  

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

rubberfish

You don't need that Doc. 
I'm sure the square body chev would be alright so long as you kept it under 50
Confucius says "He who stands with hands in pocket is feeling cocky"
Bob

Old Greenhorn

That would be quite the ride Doc! All you need is a knuckle boom and you are in business. I wonder what he is asking?
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

doc henderson

we have mutual friends, so he is asking 13.5, but would take 12, and as time goes on I am told he will go as low as 10k.  My wife is out of town and is worried that I bought it.  I told her she will find out when she gets home!   :D

Old Greenhorn

I don't know your lovely wife Doc, but I suspect you are playing with fire there. bon_fire
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

doc henderson

I hope so!  she is at a 1/2 marathon in hot springs Arkansas.  she has texted both of the kids to ask them.  my daughter said "I do not think so"  in reply to "did dad by a big army truck?".  I had her text back, "you mean the big black one?"  she may be mad now, but she will be relieved when she gets back!  she now is asking, "yes the one in the picture, do not let you dad twist your arm into lying!".  my girl Monique is texting back that "dad did not twist my arm".  I feel a little like   @Southside  making my wife a little crazy.  ;) :)

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Larry in OK

New guy on the forum. Some impressive firewood haulers here, thought I'd show off my rig.

1968 Kaiser/Jeep M715 5/4 ton. She's a little slow but I've never managed to overload her or get stuck.

sawguy21

I like it! A beast to drive but very capable.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

John Mc

It hasn't done much wood hauling yet, since I've only owned it for a few months, but this guy is going to be spending some time in the woods. My tractor is more practical in a lot of instances, but this one is more fun:

1951 M37 "Brutus"

This was a former military truck from the Korean War era. It still has the fold-up troop transport seats n the back. Rated for 3/4 Ton off-road, and 1 ton on-road. This model was the predecessor of the Kaiser M715 that @Larry in OK posted.

Fans of the M.A.S.H. TV series may recognize the model, as it appeared in a number of episodes. The M43 Ambulance was essentially the same truck, with a stretched bed.

Mine runs well. It does need a transmission and transfer case rebuild, as they are both weeping oil. Other than that, my main problem is that it has a pintle hitch, and all of my trailers are ball hitches. Pintles are certainly better for off-road use, but I'm not about to switch over all of my trailers, and want to keep compatibility with other tow vehicles. I'll probably mount a receiver under the rear cross-member, which shold get me close to the correct height as well.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

sawguy21

I  remember those well, would pull a boxcar up a tree if the bark would stay on. Just took all day to get to the tree! Oh, and keep your thumbs on the outside of the wheel off road.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: sawguy21 on November 22, 2019, 11:31:17 AM
 Oh, and keep your thumbs on the outside of the wheel off road.
:D :D :D :D Oh boy! Do I know what THAT means!! :D Learned that one the hard way myself..... more than once. :-[

John Mc

I  remember those well, would pull a boxcar up a tree if the bark would stay on. Just took all day to get to the tree! Oh, and keep your thumbs on the outside of the wheel off road.
This one has had power steering added and the steering column from an old S10 pickup installed. The local guy who is a restorer of old Dodge Power Wagons and military trucks has a an original steering column which we will be installing at the same time we're doing the transmission and transfer case rebuild. I will keep the power steering, however.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

SFires

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on November 22, 2019, 11:41:30 AM
Oh, and keep your thumbs on the outside of the wheel off road.
:D :D :D :D Oh boy! Do I know what THAT means!! :D Learned that one the hard way myself..... more than once. :-[
That's why my dad never would let me put the cool spinner knobs on any tractors we had. Once we bought an old case that had one on it and I remember thinking sweet finally got one but dad insisted he wouldn't buy it until the spinner was removed.   I'm in my mid 30's now and dang ole 76 dodge power wagon broke my thumb pulling through a gate not long ago.  Old man might of known something. 
A man can always use more tools, more space,more wood, and a whole lot more time.

Old Greenhorn

Those spinner knobs would have taken my hand off. I had a Dodge Ramcharger (no power steering) and was creeping down a skid road when I front tire caught a large rock and decided to adjust course. That steering wheel spun like a propeller. It was about 3 days before i had almost got full range of motion back in my thumb. :D ;D

Corley5

If you've got a suicide knob on a steering wheel use it.  Not using it is what's dangerous ;) ;D :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

GRANITEstateMP

Quote from: Corley5 on November 26, 2019, 11:25:02 AM
If you've got a suicide knob on a steering wheel use it.  Not using it is what's dangerous ;) ;D :)
I've worn out 1 of the wooden style one's on a CAT 930 loader, and have asked the Wifey for a new one for my Kubota, I've greased it for the last time - it's SMOKED!

Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Thank You Sponsors!