iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Show us your wood-hauling truck

Started by JuniperBoss, January 28, 2013, 03:29:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Offthebeatenpath

The dump trailer is 16', load is a very strong cord.  Just traded my Chevy 3500 dump for this smaller but newer diesel Ford- it pulls a load like this easily.  Probably going to add sides to bring the capacity to 2 cords soon.

1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, CanyCom S25 crawler carrier, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other little trail building machines and tools...

JuniperBoss

Always wanted to get one of those dump trailers but don't have any money :(. A cord can fit in the pickup with the racks though so that's good enough. I can fit a dry cord in there without maxing anything out. A green cord is another matter.
"The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense." --- Thomas Edison

Offthebeatenpath

I was only able to afford my dump trailer after my last trailer was taken out by a kid who fell asleep at the wheel and almost hit me head on at 60mph when I was pulling my loader... totaled the trailer and messed up the truck.  I got the truck only half fixed, and put the extra insurance money towards this trailer.

The dump sure makes it easy to unload though.  Took me an hour to load this morning with only one hand (the other is in a cast right now), and seconds to unload.

When I have to unload by hand to throw the wood inside, I keep the gate closed and lift the bed up all the way.  I can easily reach over gate to grab pieces and they just keep sliding to the back as I unload.  Works slick.
1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, CanyCom S25 crawler carrier, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other little trail building machines and tools...

Busy Beaver Lumber

1988 Chevy one ton with 454 motor. A real tank.

6 x 10 custom built hydraulic dump. With 2 x 12 inserted in sides, she will hold just over a solid cord of wood and is rated at 10,000 lbs gross

Chevy one ton dually that with over a cord in the bed (over 200 bundles) . 20 foot custom built flat bed trailer shown with 650 bundles of firewood in it. Has three 7,000 axles. Can haul about 4.5 cords at a time in it.

Making several trips using the above equipment we have actually delivered as much as 12 cords in a single day
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

Offthebeatenpath

Nice set up Busy Beaver! Love the hinged sides on the dump trailer and the custom 20 footer!

tyb525

Here's my old beater ;) The tool box is nice but makes the shortbed tiny.

That load really made her squat, I'd say 95% green honey locust. Good thing I only had to "deliver" it 100ft to the wood shed. I'd normally use the tractor and farm wagon but the battery was dead and didn't have time to let it charge up.

The horse wanted to help, I guess I need to get a driving harness so I can put it to work pulling logs or something ;D It doesn't even mind the chainsaw or log splitter running.

LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

JuniperBoss

Quote from: tyb525 on February 01, 2013, 07:33:19 PM
The tool box is nice but makes the shortbed tiny.
Both my wood hauling trucks have a dang toolbox or extra gas tank in it. It really shortens the bed but the real thing is it weighs down the truck so that I can't fit as much wood in it without maxing out. The limit is 3000 pounds (surely is will haul more but I don't want to try) and is about 1 cord of dry wood. I can do about 3/4 cord of wetter wood.
"The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense." --- Thomas Edison

Brux

Trailer holds about 5 cords
Try again on pic
Woodbine pro processer,2006 woodmizer lt-40, Asv 4520,John Deere 450 c, Oliver 1755,Kabota 6800, walhesten FX90, Stihl 660 056 044 036pro 310 200t 180 Husky 395

clww

My only wood hauler is pictured in my avatar.

<------------
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

JuniperBoss

Quote from: Brux on February 03, 2013, 08:13:42 PM
Trailer holds about 5 cords
Pardon me Brux? Care to explain? Your trailer holds 5 cords? Want to show a picture of it? I'm interested.

Brux

Woodbine pro processer,2006 woodmizer lt-40, Asv 4520,John Deere 450 c, Oliver 1755,Kabota 6800, walhesten FX90, Stihl 660 056 044 036pro 310 200t 180 Husky 395

JuniperBoss

Wow. So where do you go with all that wood? And why the semi? You could haul pretty much the same amount almost just as easy in a trailer towed by a diesel pickup.

Brux

This was a custom job for a trucker in town. He had gotten a bunch of logs years ago to have milled but never got around it it. He wanted the firewood. At his other place about 5 miles away.worked better than his dump truck. Filled it 3 times that afternoon. Would like to find a dump trailer that holds 5 cords that I can pull with one ton. My 16 fro dump will only hold 1.75 cord thrown in.

JuniperBoss

Well if a guy's got a semi he might as well use it :D

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: JuniperBoss on February 04, 2013, 08:56:50 AM
Wow. So where do you go with all that wood? And why the semi? You could haul pretty much the same amount almost just as easy in a trailer towed by a diesel pickup.

5 cord of wood plus trailer is way more than you would want to put behind a 1 ton truck. Using the FF toolbox calculator 5 cords of green hardwood can range from 20,000 to 26,000+ lbs. Add a trailer to haul that kind of weight and you are well into semi territory.

JuniperBoss

Notice I said "almost" just as easy and "pretty much" the same amount. Five cords of wet hardwood is pretty darn heavy but say four cords of dry softwood can be pulled just fine with a big pickup. That is if you are not on the freeway or traveling a long ways. Like I said though if he's got a semi why not use it.

Firewoodking

Firewoodking

JuniperBoss

Nice trailer. Does that dump? How much did it cost?

Firewoodking

No it dosnt dump unfortunately. It is just your typical landscapers 4X8 trailer and I built up the sides to total 48".

Max payload is rated at 2900lbs but with a cord of wood, that's a 3940lb load so really it is not the ideal setup but it works.

Even worse I tow it with a Toyota Tacoma 4 banger. it seems to tow it ok but stopping a cord of wood is a lot to ask the truck. Trailer has no brakes.
Truck in the picture is my work truck, I don't use that for firewood stuff to keep my boss happy.

Trailer was free, a gift from my dad.
Firewoodking

yellowrosefarm

Here ya go Jim. It looks a little different than when you had it. For others, it is a 1953 IH R-200 originally purchased by the USMC and used at Quantico. When they surplused it, a paving company down here bought it and used it, then "donated" it to a local scrap yard who passed it to fellow sawyer Jim H who passed it to me. The big hang up to getting it running was the now unobtainable carburetor. I found an adapter that would enable me to use an Edlebrock 4 barrell and that has worked out great. Every year I try to advance it's "restoration" a bit. New USMC olive drab paint should be in the near future. The front clip and doors I got off of a Navy truck. It really is a heavy hauler. I've had dirt rolling off the sides in the back. No way to overload it with firewood.

JuniperBoss

Nice rig. My family owns an old dump truck. I'll take a pic if I remember to. I'm not sure of the year but I think it's 60's. It is a ford f-600 with a gas engine. I think it has some carb issues too. It seems to spit and sputter a little like the fuel mixture is off. I've never put any wood in it, I suppose because it scares me to turn it off, not knowing if it will turn on again. I've seen that with those old rat-chewed trucks. That would be embarrassing being stuck at a customer's house needing a jump!

r.man

Yellowrose, is the shift pattern on the IH first upper left, reverse lower left, second upper middle?
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

DaleK

Holds 2-3 cords dumped loose, 5 stacked. Also useful for moving the loader tractor around the fields/forests when I don't have help. I deliver within 8-10 miles, get repeat calls because I can unload where trucks can't go and save some folks a lot of hauling wood.
Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110
Echo chainsaws and a whole bunch of tractors

yellowrosefarm

Quote from: r.man on February 15, 2013, 10:46:00 PM
Yellowrose, is the shift pattern on the IH first upper left, reverse lower left, second upper middle?

No, reverse is on the lower right. The others are the same. It is a 4 speed with a 2 speed rear. I only use it on the farm but it beats hauling wood a Gator load at a time.

Jim H

The truck looks great, I'm glad you got it going. It was one of those projects I never would have gotten done, I think my wife misses seeing it sitting in the driveway though.  :D
2008 LT40HDG28, autoclutch, debarker, stihl 026, 046, ms460 bow, 066, JD 2350 4wd w/245 loader, sawing since '94 fulltime since '98

Thank You Sponsors!