iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood hauling Micro Truck

Started by ~smokey~, February 23, 2015, 11:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

~smokey~

Ran across this while researching imported micro trucks from Japan. fairly decked out little beast I wonder how it does hauling a full load, I think they only have a 600cc engine.

IMAGE REMOVED DUE TO COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT. "Copyright Best Used Tractors"  READ THE RULES ON POSTING PHOTOS!

Ianab

They are popular here in NZ with farmers that use them as a safer and more comfortable alternative to a quad bike around the farm. They are 4WD, and with the right tires they seem pretty capable off road. Low gearing get over the lack of engine power, and it's not like you are going to be racing through the woods at 60 mph.

Rated to carry ~500kg from memory, and can tow a small trailer if needed.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

r.man

I think for the money, compared to a side by side they are a great idea. Think about how you would make a side by side better, glass, roof, heater, road legal. These are about the same size as a side by side but weather proof. You could probably put quad tracks on them as well.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Hilltop366

Make sure you can fit in one before you buy, a friend of mine (5'8") has one if he was a few inches taller he would not be able to get his legs in.

Glenn

Where can you buy one of these.  I would consider one for sure.   Some of the ones i have seen on the road have the steering wheel on the right.

drobertson

there's one here, just up the black top,  if I understand it right they are not licensable, heard the authorities gave him a gruff for a spell, now he has the triangle on the back and goes his merry way,  I kinda like em',  purpose for about everything, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

r.man

I am only 6 ft and lots of things are a bit of a squeeze but they are so small they are not for everyone. The one near me is street legal.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

John Mc

Anyone have a link, or a least a name and manufacturer so I can look up some info on these?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

sawguy21

As far as I know, they can only be brought to North America if more than three years old. They can be imported in limited numbers. In Japan, hence the right hand drive, the extremely strict emission laws force them off the road after that time. And you thought the EPA was rough.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

John Mc

Quote from: sawguy21 on February 24, 2015, 09:56:45 AM
As far as I know, they can only be brought to North America if more than three years old. They can be imported in limited numbers. In Japan, hence the right hand drive, the extremely strict emission laws force them off the road after that time. And you thought the EPA was rough.

It figures. I just followed a link the other day that shows a dozen or so vehicles made by major manufacturers (Ford, Toyota, Honda, etc) that you can't buy in the US. There were some great small trucks I'd be interested in. Not all of these were banned due to EPA regs; some were just not sold here since the manufacturer felt that a small diesel pickup or SUV would not sell well here. (I'd jump on some of the models shown - much better mileage than what's available here, reputation for just about bomb-proof reliability)
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Seaman

I have often thought about those, but the price seems steep.
Take an 80s mod Toyota 4x4 ( solid front axle), bob the rear and build a flatbed on it. Tires and a winch, take the doors off if you like, and you are in it for $3k or so.
Just thinkin out load !

FRank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

John Mc

Smokey - any chance you can post a link to where you found the photo or to the manufacturer, since the photo itself was removed?

Ford_man

I found this link.
http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/chinese-mini-truck.html
There are some interesting trucks, and prices not too bad.

drobertson

Quote from: Seaman on February 25, 2015, 07:40:52 AM
Take an 80s mod Toyota 4x4 ( solid front axle), bob the rear and build a flatbed on it. Tires and a winch, take the doors off if you like, and you are in it for $3k or so.
Just thinkin out load !

FRank
quite a few of these around here, go bout anywhere
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Hilltop366

All the ones around here are from Japan and right hand drive, they are mostly Honda, Suzuki, Daihatsu, Nissan and Subaru. If you google "Japanese mini truck" you should come up with lots of info.

enigmaT120

Quote from: Seaman on February 25, 2015, 07:40:52 AM
Just thinkin out load !

FRank

Some of the rock crawler guys already do some of the work for you, the bobbing the rear and installing a flatbed part.  And a bumper winch, of course.  That may give me an idea for my '81 Toyota.  On the other hand, it hauls wood fine now.  I'm not going far so don't need to pile it up any higher than the bed sides.

Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

Jeff

"Copyright Best Used Tractors"  would have been your clue where to look.

http://www.best-used-tractors.com/mini_truck.html
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ivan49

A guy that lives north of me has one. He bought it in Colorado and had it licensed there. He just renews it every year. His is  a 4X4 and has a dump box. He goes all over with it and said it is a solid truck. Never had a problem with it. I was at a sale a few years ago and there was one on the sale that sold for 2400.00. I don't know where you would get parts if you need them

sawguy21

A friend lifted his and installed flotation tires for hunting in swampy areas. The tires are not road legal but he hasn't licensed it, the nearest cop is 60 miles away.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

drobertson

leaving the lumber yard yesterday, the ole boy was at the farm store with his loaded up pretty good,  just took this while driving by, then the battery lost power to do a front view,

John Mc

Quote from: Jeff on February 25, 2015, 07:51:41 PM
"Copyright Best Used Tractors"  would have been your clue where to look.

http://www.best-used-tractors.com/mini_truck.html

Thanks, Jeff. I eventually found that place. Also found a forum specializing in the mini trucks:
minitrucktalk.com

Corley5

There was one, maybe still is, for sale locally.  The owner felt it was worth $6,500.00  :-\
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

~smokey~

I think I'd consider owning one of these micro trucks but only if I had a complete and running parts truck and I got them dirt cheap, otherwise you have a monopoly on parts supplies and all the problems inherent with vehicles not originally exported to your country, with no dealer network even one small part failing could leave you up the creek. so these guys importing container loads asking anywhere from $ 6500 to 12.000 is a joke, I found a place called Autorec sell them for less than $ 2000

A few more links.

http://www.minitruckcanada.com/MiniTrucks/mini-trucks-what-is.html

http://www.autorec.co.jp/japanese-used-trucks.php

http://www.japaneseminitrucks.ca/

I'll try repost an acceptable version of that wood hauling micro truck I posted earlier but my comp is on it's last legs...

beenthere

I don't think smudging out the copyright name will make it an acceptable version, but I could be mistaken.
Just sayin...
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Quote from: beenthere on March 17, 2015, 01:43:04 AM
I don't think smudging out the copyright name will make it an acceptable version, but I could be mistaken.
Just sayin...

No, it does not. From the forum rules page:

By uploading photos to The Forestry Forum you declare that any photograph submitted by you is your own original creation and work, and does not infringe the rights (including copyright) of any other person.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!