iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Baxter and Whitney and Sons

Started by Bruno of NH, October 20, 2019, 11:43:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

I'm going to buy an old planer with this name on it.
Hoping for help to get it to run on a gas engine.
Know nothing about it looks in good shape in the pictures.
I'm not paying much for it.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Escavader

Newman machine took over baxter whitney back in the day i believe
Alan Bickford
Hammond lumber company/Yates American A20 planer with dbl profilers Newman feed table multiple saw trimmer destacker automatic stacking machine Baker resaw MS log corner machine  4 large capacity Nyles dehumidification kilns JCB 8000 lb forklifts woodmizer lt 15 and mp100 and blower

Don P

That takes me back. When I was 19 I worked in a shop that had a 1904 vintage Whitney planer. It was before sectional feed, just solid feed rollers, open belts but within its limitations it worked. The reason I remember the solid feed was one of the guys was feeding multiple sticks into it one time and it kicked one back into his palm, breaking a couple of bones. One stick at a time was fine. They replaced it soon after with a Newman that did have sectional feed. I believe they had bought out Whitney.
I see Escavader posted at the same time, that's my memory too.

Glenn1

Quote from: Escavader on October 20, 2019, 07:54:27 PM
Newman machine took over baxter whitney back in the day i believe
I have a 1940's Whitney planer and I can't say enough good things about it.  It's a 30" planer and runs on a 15hp and a 3hp feeder.  Newman Whitney is in business and located in Brown Summit which is just north of Greensboro, NC.  I needed some replacement parts and they were able to fabricate them for me. The guys in the service dept are very helpful.
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

Bruno of NH

The guy didn't hold it for me like he said he would. 
Gone
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Glenn1

Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

Escavader

Ive ran a newman 512 and a newman 510 over the years parts are available.im a yates american planer man now for last 20 plus years,but we do have a good old newman feedtable.There was a flyer years back they sent out saying they were discountinuing parts for some of the older stuff.couldnt tell you which models though
Alan Bickford
Hammond lumber company/Yates American A20 planer with dbl profilers Newman feed table multiple saw trimmer destacker automatic stacking machine Baker resaw MS log corner machine  4 large capacity Nyles dehumidification kilns JCB 8000 lb forklifts woodmizer lt 15 and mp100 and blower

Thank You Sponsors!