iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

346XP NE compression

Started by XP_Slinger, December 26, 2015, 01:04:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XP_Slinger

Hey all,

Just deleted the base gasket on my 346XP NE.  The squish is now at .025 which I hear is a safe spot for these saws.  It runs great!  After getting it tuned it has a very noticeable increase in torque and I couldn't be happier with the performance.  Here is me question:  what should the compression be after this mod?  I did a hot compression test with an accurate guage and it's only showing 155psi.  I was expecting somewhere in the 170 to 180 range.  Can anyone with experience offer some info?  The piston is not scored and the ring appears to be in good condition. 
346XP/NE
357XP...ported by MeDremel
372XP/XT...ported by A. Burr
Homelite (Solo) 340

I'd rather be in the woods than on this computer.

old guy

I get higher readings when I check em cold, make sure you keep pulling until the pressure stops going up.
I have a 346oe with a gasket that reads 150 and a 346oe delete that goes 160, these are both old saws so the ring may be worn, my deleted 357 blowes 174, my old deleted 372 makes 148, I had a 2164 makita with gasket that went 180.

John

XP_Slinger

Thanks for the info.  I was always told compression is higher on a hot engine because the expansion seals everything up tighter.  I will do a cold test and post the results in a couple hours.  And I always make sure the needle stops climbing before recording the result.
346XP/NE
Homelite (Solo) 340

XP_Slinger

Well my top end worries are gone.  Just did a cold compression check and it pumped up to 180psi.  Thanks for the help John.
346XP/NE
Homelite (Solo) 340

JohnG28

XP, where in NY are you from?
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

SawTroll

That generation of Husky saws don't seem to need a lot of static combustion chamber compression.
Information collector.

XP_Slinger

I definitely wasn't dissatisfied with its performance before deleting the gasket.  I just started tinkering with my saws for something to do...insert More Power Tool Time grunt ha ha.  Next will be my 372 X-torq once I'm done learning about it.

JohnG28,

I'm in central NY, near the east end of oneida lake.
346XP/NE
Homelite (Solo) 340

Thank You Sponsors!