iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SawyerTed

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on January 04, 2022, 08:22:13 PM" The inmate said "Oh I'm crazy all right, I'm just not stupid."
That IS the FUNNIEST thing I've seen on the internet in a while. :D :D :D :D :D :D
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

VB-Milling

Quote from: dougtrr2 on January 04, 2022, 04:07:22 PM
Last year I completely torn down and rebuilt an 18" Oliver direct drive planer.  I took many pictures and extensive notes.  But on the build up I was in too much of a hurry to go back and refer to those pictures and notes.  As a result I had to redo several assembly steps.

Doug in SW iA

I'm guilty of this too...probably means we should spend less time on OWWM and more time of FF  :D
HM126

slider

Yes i did with a 4.5 in cutting wheel in an angle grinder. I broke a band on my 70 and it was wadded up so like many times i just use the cutoff wheel to make the job easier.

When i buy tools i buy good tools that will last but on consumables i tend to look for a bargain . on cutoff wheels no more for me ,after that one exploded this morning i am done . i was wearing safety glasses and gloves but i will soon have a flip down quality shield and the best wheel i can find.
al glenn

JJ

I hope you are ok slider.. :-[

JJ

Old Greenhorn

Yeah, that can be nasty. I always have to remind myself to keep my face and groin out of the plane of that wheel in case it lets go. It's hard doing both sometimes. 
 I  hope your are OK, and the worst thing that resulted is replacement underwear.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Crossroads

Having grinder wheels come apart is never a good thing. I had always heard about it, but never witnessed it in person until a couple years ago on an Oregon chainsaw grinder. I hit the switch and it almost instantly came apart. Fortunately, I was standing to one side and only got hit by a small piece on the wrist of the hand that threw the switch. Glad you're okay!
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Old Greenhorn

Grinding wheels are a whole different thing for me. In 1974 I was apprenticing in a cutter grinding shop. They had me grinding a 2.5" diameter shaft on a big Cincinnati cylindrical grinder running a 24" diameter by 2" wide wheel. Back and forth, back and forth taking .005" at a pass. Eventually the sound the wheel was making changed in pitch just ever so slightly so I looked around to see if one of the journeymen heard it and might tell me what to do. As I was scanning around I noticed everyone looking my way and making themselves smaller. These guys were real nut busters so I figured this was yet another joke but something in the back of my head told me to get down and as I began to bend over, the wheel let go in a 'spectacular manner'.

One third of the wheel went directly through the steel built up roof overhead, one third went halfway through the cement block wall right behind where I was standing, and the last third we never found. The workpiece was ripped out of the centers, also flung someplace and trash. The guys in that shop thought that was great fun, they laughed for days. I had a different opinion. They weren't really good at 'teaching the kid' in that shop. I didn't stay long. Never missed them either, but those are the dues one pays in every trade. You move around and learn what you can. I learned I don't like big grinders.

To this day I keep my distance from anything resembling a precision grinder and will barely entertain running a simple surface grinder. Never ran another cylindrical grinder again since that day. Cutoff wheels will put a serious hurtin' on ya and give a good surgeon a rough day. Big grinding wheels just make a lot of work for the mortician.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Southside

Hilti makes a line of cutoff wheels that are significantly thicker than the regular ones you see around, yet not as thick as a grinding wheel.  I bought a couple boxes of them on sale and have been impressed.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

sawguy21

I was using the bar shop to cut some angle brackets, not really what it was designed to do. Fortunately I was wearing a face shield and welding gloves when the disc grenaded but it sure scared the bejabbers outa me, the 15 year old shop gofer had eyes the size of dinner plates. I have a very healthy respect for cutting and grinding discs.
One shop I was in had a seven inch angle grinder that was missing the switch, they would unplug it when finished the task defeating the brake! I ordered a twelve dollar switch and repaired the tool much to the supervisors annoyance, he was scared to spend money.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

doc henderson

had a guy here sandblasting a bridge walkway to be re-painted.  it was a commercial rig ran off a big truck.  he let go of the wand with one hand and it fell down and ran a pass across his thigh.  He went to the OR.  big wound and the grit traveled 2 feet down his leg.  on x-ray.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Nebraska

Oh that's really bad ... keeping a leg 🦵 might get tough with that.  I've seen lots of gravel in wounds before but never high velocity gravel.

SawyerTed

When I was teaching I had student teachers from time to time.  One young man had worked for Duke Energy prior to going to school to become a teacher.  He was on a repair crew in one of the power plants.  A coworker was grinding on something with a 7" angle grinder.  The disc shattered and a large chunk hit the man in the jaw.  He had serious injuries and permanent facial scars. 

Turned out the disc wasn't rated for the rpm of the grinder.  He apparently received quite a compensation package. He said he would rather have not been hurt to begin with. 

I'm wary of discount grinding discs, cutoff wheels, drill bits, router bits and the like. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

kelLOGg

A friend brought me cedar logs and yesterday he and his son came over to watch/help in the sawing. Minutes after they arrived a neighbor, whom I had visited 2 days ago, called to say he had tested positive for Covid. Friend, son and I put on masks just in case and started rolling logs. They weren't big but one was highly tapered and knotty and didn't roll well. The big end fell while rolling on the rollway and the little end rose and I could feel it hit my mask. WOW! Fractions of an inch from hitting jaw, teeth, or face but fortunately no injuries. The dumb part? working with new people around a mill who are trying to help and even though some of the tasks seem so simple accidents do happen and are always a surprise. I am used to working alone and have several friends who really like to "help" so I try to be very mindful of just what it safe to let them do. What experience do you have with this?
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Chuck White

I've always made it a point to be very watchful of my fingers when someone else is helping me adjust a log on the mill.

It seems that when you get your hand/fingers in a close area, the helper most times will move the log a little and that will be enough to pinch me.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

I have a friend that gets out of his truck with gloves on and when I look up, he has his hands on a board. He's never been around a sawmill so he's in training.  :D  
He got "trained" on some just off the sawmill full 2X8 16 foot long hemlock. This stuff is heavy green. He even helped me put the rafters up. Then I had some cut that set around for a few weeks and he came back again. He liked the rafter much better that time.  :D He was shocked that they were that much lighter.
Then I have some that show up in their manly sandles and $80 jeans and ask, Do you want some help?  ::)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

K-Guy

Quote from: SawyerTed on January 12, 2022, 08:09:24 AMWhen I was teaching I had student teachers from time to time.

Sawyer Ted What parts are you missing? I never had a shop teacher that wasn't missing parts or badly scarred. smiley_jester
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

SawyerTed

I am happy to say no missing parts due to shop accidents while teaching or really due to any accidents (so far) for that matter.  I'm also very proud to say I didn't have any students lose any body parts in my shop.  I do have some colleagues who are not so fortunate.  

That doesn't mean I've not had some of my own injuries along the way.  I did have a kickback on my personal shop table saw that created a very sharp projectile that stuck in my arm and resulted in about 6 stitches.  I also had a chainsaw kickback that cut my leg severely many years ago.  I know why the table saw kicked and I've avoided having kickback like that again.  And I know why the chainsaw kicked back and haven't had that happen again either. 

The worst accident a student had was in my classroom not the shop and only required 4 stitches.  I taught some architectural and mechanical drafting.  One of the projects students did was build model houses from drawings that they did.  We used mat board like is used to frame pictures to build the models.  We used paper cutters and utility knives to cut the mat board.  There were two or three students waiting to do some cutting at one of the cutting stations in the room.  A young lady was holding a utility knife.  She turned around to speak to the young man behind her.  As she did, he raised his hand and hit the open blade of the utility knife. Anybody that saw it coming had to be clairvoyant.  Knives had to stay on the cutting tables from then on.::)

In the shop, the worse was a student was using a manual miter saw.  He placed the wood under the saw and used his thumb to steady the saw for his initial cut.  On the back stroke, a tooth on the back saw caught his thumbnail and peeled a good chunk of nail back from his nail bed.  Not much blood but I know it was severely painful!  He nearly passed out!  

Otherwise, it was bandaids and antibiotic ointment for small cuts and scrapes.  

aigheadish

In 8th grade I was in shop class and we were making clocks. Well, around the clock face we used a solid piece of wood to cut a 1" or so circle out of. The circle was cut on a drill press with a bit that came out of the press, took a 90 degree turn, then went out like 4", then another 90 degree turn, which ended in the cutting part, then that cutting part was loosened and slid back to 3". 

The solid piece of wood was likely clamped to the drill press stage and the shop teacher was doing this part. I stood about 10 feet away watching him cut out my circle. As he got through it a chunk flew off and hit me straight in the forehead. 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: SawyerTed on January 13, 2022, 02:01:05 PMShe turned around to speak to the young man behind her. As she did, he raised his hand and hit the open blade of the utility knife.
I've helped my niece and her husband on numerous projects around their house and they've help on my cabin project.  I forget the exact scenario, but we were cutting things with a razor knife.  He was helping me by handing me the knife when I needed it.  He would always extend the blade before he handed it to me.  The first time I nearly grabbed the blade!  I had to tell him to stop that!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Nebraska

Well I know  somewhere there's rules about ladders and the forum.... My son was around today so I had help. We patched up the barn roof. It will leak but be better than hole the storm made 3 weeks ago.  Roofing contractor is supposed to give me a bid.  I doubt any work will happen until spring.  Ladder in the loader bucket  isn't the way I wanted to do it, but it got done and all is better for now.

32x50 doesn't look like much. A board and batten siding job is on the list  new roof first.

rusticretreater

I bought a pair of hooks that you bolt to the ladder. You hook them over the ridge of the roof.  The other side has wheels on it, so you push it up there, turn it over and hook it. Its good and stable.  You can't be too safe on a roof.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Resonator

I think they got there money's worth out of those wood shingles.  ;D

Talked to a guy years ago who used to do barn roofs. They sprayed a liquid coating over everything that dried watertight, only catch was they would do it at night. One guy would be on the roof, and the other was inside with a spotlight shining up to show the holes to patch. :o
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

WV Sawmiller

I had a team that used to fix our tents like that when I was in the USMC. In the daytime we could see the light from inside and I had a lightweight guy climb up with a can of clue and canvas patches and a rawhide mallet and a guy inside would center a tentpole on the pin hole to make a flat surface and the upstairs Marine would patch it.

I have used recycled roofing on my lumber storage sheds and I'd go out at night, turn on a bright light pointed at the roof and get on top and go slap a dab of black mastic roofing tar on every place I could see light. Same principle and it does work well if you can safely work on the roof at night.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Nebraska

Quote from: Resonator on January 13, 2022, 10:18:24 PM
I think they got there money's worth out of those wood shingles.  ;D
I assume rodents got under the old steel and chewed holes making nests.   There isn't any "goodie" left in the cedar.  I want a new roof on it, finding a contractor to do it will be the challenge. No real shortage of carpenters up here but they have all gotten older like me.

WDH

Nebraska, at least if you fell you would fall into the loader bucket  :).  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!