iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Turner Circular Sawmill

Started by Gibbo, January 10, 2022, 08:27:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gibbo

I have own the family farm from our grandpa a Turner Mill 1942 model Head saw and want to replace the Mandrel Bearings. Could someone give advice on how to do that where can I find the bearings, never had to do this and not sure how it comes apart. Thanks for any advice!!!

moodnacreek

Most ball or roller bearings can be found through an industrial supply house. Hopefully you can find numbers on them. the big problem is the condition of the shaft under the bearings as they tend to get undersized with age. Don't clean/polish these spots any more than absolutely necessary. If the new bearings fit at all loose where they go you can use 609 loctite but once you do that you can't move the bearing [without heat] so you only have one chance to put it back together right. Good luck.

Gibbo

How do you go about getting the bearings out, I assume the Mandrel has to come completely off?

moodnacreek

I presume everything has to come off. The drive pully can be really tough especially if there is no taper lock and even if there is they can be seized in. They have press bolt holes to remove them. Clean/sandpaper the shaft where you can. A porta power and a big gear puller should be available. I have worked days taking these things apart. A good collection of punches and a 3 lb. hammer for them. A sledge and blocks of wood. Slow and steady and patience, mandrel off the husk standing up or what ever helps.

GARose

Quote from: Gibbo on January 10, 2022, 08:27:08 AM
I have own the family farm from our grandpa a Turner Mill 1942 model Head saw and want to replace the Mandrel Bearings. Could someone give advice on how to do that where can I find the bearings, never had to do this and not sure how it comes apart. Thanks for any advice!!!
http://www.vintagemachinery.org/

Thank You Sponsors!