iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

old circle blade with hoe shanks,

Started by woodpeckerlips, April 14, 2010, 09:12:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodpeckerlips

i had a 48" blade in a saw crate that i never had run before>  pulled my b/f 48" of the mill and slapped this blade on.    bits are 3x9.   coated the blade up with oil, hand filed the already sharp teeth, just touched them up, set the saw guides.   ran the blade for 2 days now. blade cuts awsome. stands up straight.  noticed after the blade was all cleaned up after sawing that the shanks hoe. please tell me that these shanks can be replaced with newer shanks.  i'm gessing that if it has the 3x9 bits that i can still purchase ,that i can stll get a new style shank that will replace the hoe shanks, also.  anyone know, or do i have to wait and go see a saw doc.

Ron Wenrich

You can get a 3 pattern shank that's made by Simonds.  You might even find a few Hoe shanks around. 

How much cutting do you do that you're worried about the shanks?  I usually get at least 1MMbf on a set of shanks cutting hardwoods.  And I change them when they're starting to get worn.  You may be able to sharpen the shanks for a little more life.

If you're going to replace the shanks, you should have the saw hammered. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

bandmiller2

WP lips,You will have no problems finding #3 pattern bits and shanks,even oversize if you have some loose pockets.Sometimes the Simonds website has deals on bits and shanks.The 9 is the gauge of the shank.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

woodpeckerlips

thanks guys,
   didnt realize shanks lasted that long,   i'll have the saw doc check the shanks out. i hope to get 2 saws pounded soon. the saw i'm running now is my oldest saw, but runs the best.   it would break my heart if i couldn't get shanks for it. the shanks are probly fine that are in it.   i just paniced when the blade ran so well and , after the fact , i noticed it had the hoe shanks.   i figured, hears the deal breaker. get something finally going your way and its gonna be short lived.  but, looks like it's gonna be alright.     So i'm safe to assume that because it has a 3 x 9 ga bit that it takes a #3 shank to replace the hoe shanks in the saw now.    i'm taking it to the doc and letting him take care of the blade/shanks for this initial setup.  i'm asking just for my brain!

apm

You gotta love a saw that stands up straight! The shanks primary job, other than holding the bit in place, is to carry the sawdust out of the kerf. When they're worn thin, the dust will spill out of the sides of the shank and cause the saw to heat and pull harder. If you're sawing well, your shanks are probably just fine. If the edge of the shank that forms the gullet begins to get rounded off, you can improve it's dust carrying ability by "sharpening" like Ron said. Just take a round or small half round file and square the edges back up.

A mystery blade that runs well, some guys have all the luck!

Greg
Timberking 1600 now

Thank You Sponsors!