iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How many ties do you cuT on a one man operation

Started by just_sawing, October 18, 2012, 06:38:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

just_sawing

I have whiched to sawing ties by my self and was wondering if others that saw solo how many per day do you cut?
You can follow me at
www.http://haneyfamilysawmill.com

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Bibbyman

Knocking a nice log down to a 7x9 can be done rather quickly.  Moving the logs to and onto the mill, dealing with the side lumber, edging, slabs, removing the 7x9 from the mill, end trimming to length and making a bundle, takes time.  How much time depends on how well you're organized and support equipment you have.

You've not given us enough information to give you an answer.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Meadows Miller

Quote from: Bibbyman on October 18, 2012, 07:37:27 PM

You've not given us enough information to give you an answer.

Bibbys spot on its at the how longs a piece of string stage with me atm too A little more info and we can crunch some numbers Mate  ;) ;D
4TH Generation Timbergetter

dgdrls

Its always the details and management part of the job that take time,
I'll be interested to learn more from this thread.

DGDrls

just_sawing

I am cutting side lumber re sawing every two days or so. I am cutting mostly 25 to 50 Doyle scale logs.
Just wondering what other one man operations are doing.
I have set up the 70 to have the control on the saw outlet side with roller racks and saw horses. I am using a twin blade edger and a W4 loader,
You can follow me at
www.http://haneyfamilysawmill.com

paul case

Sounds like you are set for lumber and log moving equipment and sure enuf got the saw to make a bunch.

I usually cut ties out of 10' logs so the side lumber works out for 3 40'' pallet boards. So you kinda confused me with cutting a tie out of a 25 doyle log. I cant seem to cut a good one out of less than a 40.
I have cut a bundle of 20  in a day before by myself. I have a hand crank winch to drag the finished tie onto the stack. Cut em off with a chainsaw. Edge out after a couple or 3 logs. 94 LT40hd g25 and no edger. Sure is tiring work but I really enjoy it.  PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Meadows Miller

Gday

You have a pretty powerful mill there with the 70 and edger and sawing those size logs I reckon you could 5+ ties per hour as some logs will not yeald wing boards so they will be 4 cuts get rid of the trash and the sleeper thats your 40+ a day and you should be able to do that reasonably easily Mate  ;)

I take it you are buying the logs in Mate  ???

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

two tired

I do my own logging, haul the logs to my mill or sometimes I take the mill to the logs. Ties take 12" at least  at the top for me to make  a tie, side lumber 1 1/2" X 8" X 10 to 16 ft., 4"X8" and 6"X8" cants for pallet lumber, whatever I can get from a log. I can do 10 to 15 ties a day if all goes ok, if the logs are at the mill and they are strait i can do a few more, love working in the woods but sometimes the hunting and fishing get in the way. I enjoy working by my self but sometimes my wife goes with me to help.
when wondering about weather conditions call the dog in and see if he is wet

Thank You Sponsors!