iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

FIRST CUT

Started by dogone, November 01, 2019, 11:03:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dogone

Got a norwood 29 a few weeks back. All together and running today. All I had was a 5 foot 12 in dia ash (I think) log
It was to short to clamp properly but I made do. Two cuts straight as an arrow. Great feeling. Tomorrow I will move it out of the shop to a more permanent location.  
   I have feelers out and a few real logs lined up and am looking forward to building a log cabin.

YellowHammer

Congratulations! There's no feeling like cutting straight lumber off a new sawmill.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

thecfarm

You will like it!!
Still have plans for a cabin?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

Congratulations on the new mill, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum, dogone!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

ladylake

The first modd I'd make is another backstop for the short logs.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, and Congratulations on the new sawmill.  Now please finish filling out your profile information so that we will know/remember where you are and what sawmill you have.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

samandothers

Congratulations!  You are hooked, you inhaled sawdust and caught the bug!

Stephen1

Congratulations! Welcome the Forum 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Nebraska

Congratulations on the first cut,  when I made mine I had my wife standing out there watching because, I figured in case something goes amazingly wrong at least maybe she can dial 911....  I  probably looked kind of silly with my mouth hanging open with amazement  how easily it cut the piece of locust firewood  I chose to star with t. The first board was a 2x6 that is screwed  to the wall of the shed with the family brand on it.  Welcome and enjoy the adventure..

SawyerTed

Congratulations on the new mill!  Welcome!  That's how I started.  I had some firewood logs cut to lengths my tractor could move.  Those logs were cut into a variety of boards.  Most of them became expensive firewood anyway.  Keep practicing on the low value stuff for a while.  Occasionally a new sawmill owner tries to saw grandma's walnut tree the second or third log with disappointing results.  Save the high value stuff for a little while longer.  

There are few things that mix equal parts of hard work and fun.  Every log opened on the mill is like a surprise birthday present, some are truly amazing!
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

RAYAR

Welcome to this great forum Dogone. Is your mill all manual?
mobile manual mill (custom build) (mods & additions on-going)
Custom built auto band sharpener (currently under mods)
Husqvarna 50, 61, 254XP (and others)
96 Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 Ranger 4X2 w/cap, manual trans (430,000 Km)

dogone

Thanks for the welcome. My mill is all manual for now . The only add on might be power feed. I have tried to read every post for the last three years and have learned a LOT. There is a wealth of knowledge out there. In a year or so I might be able to add a small bit of new information.

Thank You Sponsors!