The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: pressure treated wood  (Read 396 times)

Offline xlogger

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
pressure treated wood
« on: January 23, 2019, 05:11:49 AM »
I've started cutting material for the shed that collapsed with the snow load before Christmas. It was 24x40. I'm buying steel trusts and setting them on 6x6's concreted in ground. The way pressure treated is now does not hold up like before. I was wondering if I burnt the poles that was underground would they last or hold up longer?
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Online Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
Re: pressure treated wood
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 06:39:12 AM »
The charcoal part will, the wood, not really. If you get the building supply to order foundation grade treated, I believe the classification is UC4B, use category 4B, it will be well treated. Thank Lowes and the others for stocking non ground contact treated ::).
The future is a foreign country, they will do things differently there - Simon Winchester

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 06:47:58 AM »
Yes/no.  Use some locust/osage post or buy marine grade treated lumber.  Burnt wood rots and you open up the end of the log to rot.  The ends of treated wood are the weakness, you can paint extra preservatives on it but that open pore structure is where it will weaken first.  Any knicks, cuts, flaws, etc that happen during handling are another weak point.  Marine grade pretty much will trump all of that.  Older preservatives were crappy products anyway, they leached pretty nasty metals right into the ground. 
Liking Walnut

Online Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 07:40:46 AM »
A buried end does not rot, no oxygen down there. Take a look at fenceposts, they rot right in the ground line area where the biology is going on, the bottom is as good as the day you buried it. That said I put the uncut end of a post down in the bottom of the hole. I figure that same porous end sucked up more of the good stuff. Marine grade is the bomb if you can get it, they just look at me funny up here when I mention it.

Concrete in the bottom of the hole that the post sits on spreads out the load over a wide footprint. Pretty often when I get called in on a barn or outbuilding that has sort of blended into the rolling landscape, the poles were simply buried on dirt or had a collar of concrete that they slipped down through. They need a snowshoe to spread the load out.
The future is a foreign country, they will do things differently there - Simon Winchester

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Pressure Treated wood

Started by DonT on General Board

60 Replies
Last post June 13, 2002, 08:52:46 PM
by Tom
xx
Question about anchor bolts and pressure treated wood

Started by brdmkr on General Board

59 Replies
Last post May 22, 2006, 10:06:16 AM
by Larry