iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old Rockwell Lathe, Tailstock Center Size?

Started by Don P, February 23, 2024, 09:46:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don P

I've got this lathe spinning. BlueCreeper bathing the pulley that is jammed back way too far. It is missing the tailstock center. I think that is a #2 Morse taper but I'm no machinist, does anyone know these machines?

Old Greenhorn

Don, measure the hole at the large opening and I will look it up tonight for you. 99% chance it's a Morse, but the size matters:)

Edit I see Rustic already knows. #2 morse would have been my guess, but I have the charts here with all the taper dimensions if you need further.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

rusticretreater

That's a standard 12" Rockwell/Delta lathe.  The tailstock is a number two morse.  There are millions of live centers to choose from.  Your indexing pin is also missing.

You can look up the serial number on vintagemachinery.org.  You should also be able to find the manual and all the specs on the site.

http://wiki.vintagemachinery.org/DeltaSerialNumbers.ashx

Every part that you need will be available on ebay.  I have a 1954 Delta Homecraft lathe and I was able to find everything on ebay.  The design didn't change for 40 years so there are millions of parts floating around out there.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Larry

I've had 3 or 4 of them over the years. Never got one with a index pin, kids liked to engage the pin with it running to hear the cool ratchet sounds....don't let the shop teacher catch ya. ffcheesy

A Oneway cone live center for the tailstock is worth the money. Yes, MT #2.

I put a 3 phase motor in one and powered it with a cheap VFD to give me variable speed. That was a improvement well worth doing.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Don P

Rainy day, I did happen to measure the hole while I was down there lighting a fire and "working". I couldn't find a battery for the digital calipers so had to go old school, amazing, they don't require batteries, what an idea  ffcheesy. It looks like right about .70nuthin" at the big end of the hole.

The missing index pin was the first thing that started me looking at the pulley location... "how is that gonna work?". Looking down somebody slid the pulley outboard one pulley width, as if trying to change the speed outside of normal maybe? Must have been pre VFD  ffcheesy Anyway the setscrew in the pulley is gone but it is seized tight and the bearings are sounding rough so more delving I imagine. I have gotten the switch back together, it was all in a Folgers can, and happily still there. I'm really hoping just to be able to make some tool handles occasionally.

Larry

Don, on some of those lathes there are two setscrews in the pulley, one on top of the other. Also if it only had one set screw they would loosen a bit than the turner would get a catch and the spindle would rotate in the pulley which scared the shaft. Makes it a real job getting the shaft out to replace bearings. I've done it a few times and always a struggle. Good luck it you decide to replace bearings.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

Don P

The tailstock arrived today. I chucked up a cutoff of old tulip poplar tomato stake and proceeded to turn a dowel  ffwave.

When I first got the sawmill I would bring a chunk of wood up to the house, show her while proclaiming "Was once round!". I just handed her a dowel that still had square ends, "Was once square!"

How did we get here  ffcheesy

Larry

Be careful showing off that round dowel. The first thing they will want is simple things like a garden dibble or honey dipper. As they get you trained they will request more complex items, coffee scoops, measuring spoons, and all manner of treenware. At that point no stopping them, they will want popcorn bowls, cereal bowls, and who knows what else. Its a steep slippery slope. ffcheesy ffcheesy    

rusticretreater

Tail stock? Did you mean live center?

The pulley being moved tells me someone was trying to get the headstock apart to replace the bearings.  The pulley is not made of strong metal so try not to pry or hammer on it. 

This is the official Delta document detailing how to replace the bearings.

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/1141/882.pdf

Here is a link to an ebay seller for the headstock bearing kit
https://www.ebay.com/itm/305058699811
Kubota BX25
Homemade Log Arch
Husqvarna 562xp

Mooseherder

It's definitely a slippery slope but a blast in my humble opinion.  Making stuff out of scraps destined for firewood is rewarding.  I encourage  everyone to save pieces while cutting and sawing that would make nice bowls and stuff down the road.  Worst case you can always burn later if you don't turn.  Lathes come up often when people lose interest.  All my lathes are second hand along with my tools except for a couple of things.  Had to replace my Chuck and got a couple of tailstock accessories.  I'll treat myself to some nice Gouges some day.  Some lose parts.

Lose part becoming a birdhouse perch.

Don P

Am I the only one, I can't get to vintage machinery?

I have an old faceplate in my "collection" that is the right size and thread but the threads on the headstock spindle are beat up... is there a cheap way to refresh those?

I think I know where the next mad money is going, my boots had a new oil finish when I got off the skidsteer.

dougtrr2

The vintage machinery site link works for me, but then I am on the OWWM site regularly.

To refresh the threads on your headstock spindle, patience and files may be your best bet.

Doug in SW IA

Mooseherder

It would be great to find a Chuck if it didn't come with it.  Opens up a lot more options. ffsmiley

Machinebuilder

to fix the headstock threads you want a thread file.

sometimes it's not too difficult but then others it is very frustrating.

IF you can set it to a very low RPM you can file them with the spindle turning and its easier
Dave, Woodmizer LT15, Husqvarna 460 and Stihl 180, Bobcat 751, David Brown 770, New Holland TN60A

Don P

I just got to the manual, Thanks @rusticretreater . The old Windows 7 machine gets there the new computer appears to have some issue. (It also has 21 tabs, 5 codebooks and sketchup running, what could go wrong  ffcheesy) Good to know to turn a press dowel before taking it apart. I have what they are calling the old style tailstock.

I learned a term not long ago from something I've done to bearings more than once. When one is, uhh, a little forceful, when installing a bearing, the damage of putting tiny ball divots in the race is called brinelling. Then one gets to do it again real soon. I think that is what I'm hearing. I have filed some pipe wrench scars off the spindle beside the misaligned pulley and its soaking in bluecreeper, that is going to be a job to get off.

rusticretreater

I'm sure you know, but it always bears repeating @Don P,  patience, patience.

I have been turning for a number of years and its certainly rewarding.  Even more so than taking a beautiful board off of the saw mill.  You get decent at it and you will be able to give appreciated gifts to everyone. 

You get good at it and you can sell items for obscene profits.  I never understood why a woman would spend $100 for a bowl and just sit it on a table with pot pourri in it.  My turning club has a guy who sells things from $700 to $7,000.

I am a member of the Central Virginia Woodturners.  We usually are the host chapter for the VA Wood Turners Symposium.  You might want to look up a woodturner group in your area.  There are many smaller groups not listed, so check around.  Blue Ridge Woodturners is in Roanoke.

https://www.virginiawoodturners.com/VA_clubs.htm
Kubota BX25
Homemade Log Arch
Husqvarna 562xp

Larry

Lots of wood turning clubs around. The club I belong to has two monthly meetings. The first is a regular meeting with somebody doing a turning demonstration. We try to have two national professional woodturners each year do demo's followed the next day or two with all day hands on classes. The other demo's in the year are by local's. The second monthly meeting is a hands on type where members are mentored.

Tomorrow is my time in the spotlight at our club. Posted the following on another group. Probably will have 40 some in attendance. I like doing demo's but for this one I'm showing a complex build and only have 1-1/2 hours to get it across. Not sure how it will work out......

"Next Saturday I will be doing a wood turning demonstration for the Stateline Woodturners Club in NW Arkansas. My demo will be a short introduction to making very simple stools totally on the wood lathe. I have developed a unique leg drilling and reaming method that uses a minimum of tools, is fast, and accurate. Of course I need to practice before my presentation. I get nervous with lots of eyes on me! I always appreciate the opportunity to teach and demo as often the teacher learns more than the students."

rusticretreater

That's a great way to drill leg holes.  Stuff like that really makes my day.  :sunny:

One of my methods is to use a cross slide and metal cutting tip, square it up with my lathe bed and cut a perfectly flat surface on the bottom of a bowl or vase.

We do the same thing with our meetings in either having a member, remote demo or a traveling pro demonstrate.  We also use zoom to reach out to folks too.  We have the regular meeting and then another mentoring meeting where the old salts teach all their stuff in our skills center.  Just added was drop in saturdays, where you just stop by to talk shop, show off some things or get help with a project.
Kubota BX25
Homemade Log Arch
Husqvarna 562xp

Don P

I finally got around to ordering a thread file from McMaster and got the faceplate a few threads on. I'll keep shining on it.

Not SGU level yet and its gonna take a big speaker magnet to stick my artwork to the fridge, but... "Was once square"  ffcheesy
 I'm thinking next frisbee golf game.

This is something that has passed down through Michelle's family, not sure, it resembles some of the Indonesian stuff.

I messed around with a dogwood trunk trying to make a mallet. I had set up 3 centers on the piece and was turning an oval handle when I found a hidden seam in it, but I think that will work to make handles.

Thank You Sponsors!