iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Almost want to punch someone in the mouth. 👎

Started by BargeMonkey, June 26, 2019, 10:54:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BargeMonkey

Forester stopped yesterday, real decent guy, I pointed out all the hazard trees and girdled stuff they did from 35yrs ago, even he agreed this is beyond a hazard. With the buncher I dont care, having a cable skidder in there it's a real issue because if your breathe on these they come over.

Did another job where a "super logger" girdled a couple hundred beech, like a bomb going off when you cut something next to it. Either dont cut it or make sure it goes on the ground, nothing but a dead hazard now.

Southside

Did he girdle them by rubbing against them or something else?  No need for that at all.  Even in the buncher I care, it's a drive to tree so when she breaks she hits the cab and it rocks all 48,000 lbs like a Tonka toy.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

BargeMonkey

They are all girdled with a chainsaw. Cant go 50ft in this one section without seeing one. Mostly soft maple and ironwood. 

Southside

Wow - is there some reason one would think this was actually a good idea?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Firewoodjoe

We have done many state jobs where they had us girdle the big ugly beach. They wanted us to because if we cut them it would damage the residual stand where as if they died and fell over on there own it would be in pieces. That's the states thery not mine.

Ed_K

When I first started tsi work we did a lot of tree girdleing. By the mid y2k's osha stopped it.
Ed K

nativewolf

I occasionally girdle big tree of heaven so they don't pound a young stand coming down, makes a nice cavity tree.  I can't see how a beech is still standing upright after being girdled 35 years ago as I would have thought they'd have rotted down.  Heck even a WO will rot and fall over here after 10 years.  The tree of heavens rarely last 4 years.  

It's a good idea in theory if the girdled tree dies and slowly falls apart and then down as it prevents stand damage.

Be careful!
Liking Walnut

Old Greenhorn

I hereby rescind my offer to come and help you hand cut sometime. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

sawguy21

I have never see girdling possibly because hardwood stands are not predominant. It seems it was not a common practice in the north west.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

BargeMonkey

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on June 27, 2019, 09:56:19 AM
You rode to the top of this job, 😂 guys talk about cutting rugged ground. You should come cut when I get next door, flatter and rockstar wood over there. 
 I understand the idea behind girding trees and in theory it works, the problem is ALOT of guys dont want the firewood, lowgrade, it's cheaper to girdle and move on. A couple here and there is ok, this section of the job is loaded with them. I'm knocking over the hazard ones, had originally said I would do most of this with a small cable skidder, yeah no... 😂 10 slides on my 460, dont have time for this crap. 

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: BargeMonkey on June 27, 2019, 03:24:09 PM
Quote from: Old Greenhorn on June 27, 2019, 09:56:19 AM
You rode to the top of this job, 😂 guys talk about cutting rugged ground. You should come cut when I get next door, flatter and rockstar wood over there. ......

......I'm knocking over the hazard ones, had originally said I would do most of this with a small cable skidder, yeah no... 😂 10 slides on my 460, dont have time for this crap.
Yes, I did, typical high Catskills. Not even fun to walk up, let alone work. A little worse than the tiny woodlot I manage, but much much bigger. Pretty much 45° slope in many spots. Still amazed you get the timbco up there, let alone cut with it. Geez!
When you say 'next door' do you mean a little east and further down the hill from the top?" That looked like nice ground.
 I thought that skidder up on that lot was a 440? or did you move the other one over, which I thought was a 540? or am I just all confused? Either way, it's a long run from the top down with 10 slides pushing you on THAT trail (I dare not call it a skid road).
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

ehp

about 1984 or 85 they stopped doing that up north , never liked it either

BargeMonkey

Cut another nice ash, threw it and just caught a little bit of one of those girdled soft maples... over it came. 😂

Tom, I've got 90 acres below this to cut, same landowner, decent wood. I've got 60acres of BANGING hasnt been touched in 80+yrs stuff to the left on this job, in no rush to cut either of them if prices stay down. 

Old Greenhorn

Well how much of that primo stuff needs to be hand cut? I would love to come up and give you a saturday just for the fun of it, but prefer not to do it in July or August. I am old and my wind isn't what it used to be in that high humidity. Maybe you can coach me from a decent cutter into a good cutter. Let me know when you finish the high lot, that is a bit scary for me. Well, not really scary, jus that my brain says "don't do that fool". ;D :D

BargeMonkey

...ALOT... 😂 I didnt walk every inch of it, these jobs to buy on private land are getting hard to come by. I've got a few others within 5 miles of the store with wood to cut that most guys dont see anymore, it's either not been touched since before the depression or it's been raped and nothing but lowgrade, how it is here. 

Old Greenhorn

Well, it looks like you got lucky. Maybe it's compensation for all the hard stuff you are working through up the hill. Sounds like happy cutting. Would love to get into some of that for a day. ;D

nativewolf

Surprised they would girdle soft maple, that's a species where if you time prices correctly you can get some decent coin.  But maybe form was terrible.  

I hear you on holding out for better pricing, I am slow rolling cutting anything nice.
Liking Walnut

mike_belben

I knew this was a barge thread when i saw the punching someone title. 

Eric check your voicemail
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!