The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: mig welder upgrade help  (Read 4572 times)

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Take Steps to Save Steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
Re: mig welder upgrade help
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2019, 08:25:02 AM »
I agree, I'm a big fan of buying specialized equipment from a dealer, one who is in business to make sure their stuff integrates and works well.  

Also, a MIG set really shines with gas, I mean that is its name, "Metal Inert Gas".  The correct gas mix will allow a hotter, more controllable weld puddle, better penetration with less amperage, and eases the welding process.  Flux core wire is intended to do the same thing, but its only a poor substitute for a true gas shield.  With gas the weld is shiny and clean, and never requires chipping.  

I used to buy my tanks, but now just lease them.  Its easier and cost less.

Get a good helmet, and I like the ones that use double or triple A batteries instead of the hard to find watch batteries.

One of the best tips I can give is for the people who have a fridge in their work area.  There is no better place to store a welding helmet than in a refrigerator.  It keeps spiders, bugs, dust, and dirt out of the helmet, and the cold temps help extend battery life.    
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it wont roll, its not a log; its still a piece of tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not pieces of trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, theyre burned, and you cant fix them.  Dont burn the cookies.

Offline 47sawdust

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2019, 12:50:09 PM »
Thanks for all your input.the welder comes complete with gas tank 50%,extra roll of wire,gloves,cart,Hawk welding helmet and 23 foot extension cord.It is clean and has very little use by a little old lady who only welded on Sundays.
Might be my Christmas present to myself.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Offline Larry

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Copas Sawmill
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2019, 01:52:55 PM »
I bought a Hobart MIG 185 about 8 years ago that I've been happy with.  When I bought it I compared it to the same size Miller.  The Miller had steel rollers and components in the feed which was a plus over the Hobart plastic rollers.  The Miller had more electronics and a higher price both of which were negatives for my planned use.

If you ever think you might weld aluminum a slightly bigger machine that would accept a spool gun would be in order.  I do aluminum with my Lincoln TIG.

Good luck with your choice and don't burn down the Christmas tree playing with it!

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Offline Skeans1

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2019, 10:33:33 AM »
I agree, I'm a big fan of buying specialized equipment from a dealer, one who is in business to make sure their stuff integrates and works well.  

Also, a MIG set really shines with gas, I mean that is its name, "Metal Inert Gas".  The correct gas mix will allow a hotter, more controllable weld puddle, better penetration with less amperage, and eases the welding process.  Flux core wire is intended to do the same thing, but its only a poor substitute for a true gas shield.  With gas the weld is shiny and clean, and never requires chipping.  

I used to buy my tanks, but now just lease them.  Its easier and cost less.

Get a good helmet, and I like the ones that use double or triple A batteries instead of the hard to find watch batteries.

One of the best tips I can give is for the people who have a fridge in their work area.  There is no better place to store a welding helmet than in a refrigerator.  It keeps spiders, bugs, dust, and dirt out of the helmet, and the cold temps help extend battery life.    
This will depend on the type of Flux Cored wire their is Self shielded and Gas Shielded flux cored wire. Hardwire short circuit mig is a very light duty process with huge chances of lack of fusion, take the same gas but switch to dual shield wire yes it requires more clean up but you know its burning hot into the joint. 

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Take Steps to Save Steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2019, 08:38:45 PM »
I was talking about conventional mild steel welding with thicker plate and angle rather than sheet metal, using ER70S-6 and C25, which are good all purpose and common filler metal and welding gas available everywhere.  With the proper settings, they will give full penetration and clean welds in most common sizes of steel stock with very little effort.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it wont roll, its not a log; its still a piece of tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not pieces of trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, theyre burned, and you cant fix them.  Dont burn the cookies.

Offline Skeans1

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2019, 11:13:06 AM »
@YellowHammer 3/16 down to sheet metal yes short circuit mig is fine, but with a switch of drive rolls and wire you can easily burn hotter and faster with dual shield flux core. 

Offline sarahduke78

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2020, 11:52:40 AM »
Thanks for all your input.the welder comes complete with gas tank 50%,extra roll of wire,gloves,cart,Hawk welding helmet and 23 foot extension cord.It is clean and has very little use by a little old lady who only welded on Sundays.
Might be my Christmas present to myself.
Came across this thread. Was wondering if you purchased it. If so, do you like it?

Offline 47sawdust

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2020, 02:32:42 PM »
Yes I did buy the welder and will get some pictures to post.The difference in the quality of welds between the 135 Hobart(110) and the Lincoln (220) was a real nice surprise.No matter how hard I tried with the 135 my welds didn't seem to be as smooth as I wanted.First attempt with the Lincoln and I felt like I finally learned how to weld.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2020, 02:47:35 PM »
Hobart sells cheaper because it doesnt have the Miller paint scheme

Actually the hobart has plastic gears insider where the miller has metal ones. Thats the big difference. You are correct though, most if not all parts are interchangeable. So if you strip a plastic gear you can replace it with a miller metal gear.

Offline sarahduke78

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2020, 03:53:04 AM »
Yes I did buy the welder and will get some pictures to post.The difference in the quality of welds between the 135 Hobart(110) and the Lincoln (220) was a real nice surprise.No matter how hard I tried with the 135 my welds didn't seem to be as smooth as I wanted.First attempt with the Lincoln and I felt like I finally learned how to weld.
Oh, glad to hear it. I was debating between Hobart 210 (dual voltage) and Lincoln 180. They are both the same price, and tbh I was leaning towards Hobart, but now I'll pick Lincoln probably. Thanks!

Offline Bandmill Bandit

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2020, 10:19:23 AM »
Consumer Hobarts seem to be a box of parts left over from the assembly of the comercial Hobarts. There is a big difference in performance and quality even though the hobarts and miller are built in the same plant. I have a miller 210 and love it. 

The Lincoln 180 is *DanG good welder as well. I'd take either one in that model range but my closest dealer is a Miller dealer and I can swap my gas bottle at local NAPA so its 5 minutes away.

Tryed a 110/220 model before I bought my miller 210. That is a no go for me! just not enough welder.   
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2020, 05:28:01 PM »
Now you need a Hypertherm plasma cutter 😂

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2021, 10:38:31 PM »
I bought a Hobart MIG 185 about 8 years ago that I've been happy with.  When I bought it I compared it to the same size Miller.  The Miller had steel rollers and components in the feed which was a plus over the Hobart plastic rollers.  The Miller had more electronics and a higher price both of which were negatives for my planned use.

If you ever think you might weld aluminum a slightly bigger machine that would accept a spool gun would be in order.  I do aluminum with my Lincoln TIG.

Good luck with your choice and don't burn down the Christmas tree playing with it!
Fronius mig welders like are one of the only ones that you can run aluminum wire effectively in and dont need to change anything. They are the real deal

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2021, 10:47:48 PM »
Anybody have a miller 350p or Lincoln 360 pulse and if so how do they like it

Offline moodnacreek

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawin by the notches
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2021, 10:34:32 AM »
It's all about duty cycle.

Offline Sedgehammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Old enough to know better, but ya only live once!
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2021, 10:35:55 AM »
Anybody have a miller 350p or Lincoln 360 pulse and if so how do they like it

These are my 'mig' welders. I do have one. Haven't used it yet. I need to change the plug out. Bought it a few years from a friend and hadn't used it for several years. Has the spool gun. He said they didn't use it much, as his business closed when he got hurt, but he said the guy using it loved it.

The hobart is a dream to weld with, i'll say that though. The miller 210 is a nice machine, but not near as smooth as the hobart.

Offline Sedgehammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Old enough to know better, but ya only live once!
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2021, 10:39:36 AM »
It's all about duty cycle.
If welding long beads, agreed, but in a small self fab shop, doubtful that will be an issue. I have no idea what Walnut plans on using it for though.

Offline blackfoot griz

• Share Post
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2021, 01:34:59 PM »
I have a Lincoln powermig 215 and haven't been happy with it. For some reason, it doesn't feed consistently. I have replaced liners, tips, cones, drive rollers. I can weld 10 perfect welds, then it will get funky for a while  jumping, spitting, farting for a while on the exact same settings without moving or pushing capacity. 

It gets the job done, but, there is some feed issue I haven't been able to resolve.

Offline Tom King

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
    • HistoricHousePreservation
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2021, 01:47:17 PM »
The 350P is a great machine, but for a little more than what they're going for used, you can get a new, and newer model 255 Millermatic.  Check out the youtube videos.  It's a spray arc machine.

I have a 251 that has just developed their common circuit board troubles.  I had some scientist friends help me troubleshoot the board, but rather than being a common problem with a Capacitor, or Transistor, it has an IC issue.  A new board is close to $500, so rather than put that much back into that machine, I'm getting a new 255.

The 255 has pulse, and other adjustments that the 251 didn't have.  It's the only machine that our local welding center keeps in stock, and they say it's the only machine anyone is buying.  It will also take a Push-Pull gun, like the 350P, if you have much aluminum welding to do.

I also have a little Lincoln 120V Mig machine.  It's handy to have, but with amperage, and duty cycle limits, it will not put enough heat into anything but small stuff.

Watching that video, I can hear my teacher and now gone dear friend, who was President of the National Welders Association (or something like that) for two terms, and has stuff sitting on the Moon that he welded, telling me that I'm putting too much "metal in the weld".  Penetration is a good thing, but there is such a thing as too much of a good thing.

Offline farmfromkansas

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2021, 04:24:04 PM »
Been looking at Lincoln 180's and 140's.  Have several bale feeders that need repaired, and using my stick welder with tiny rod, just burn holes in the thin metal.  Would a 140 work for that or would a 180 work ok? The 140 is 120 volt, the 180 is 220-240.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
upgrade, upgrade, upgrade blues

Started by pineywoods on Technical Support Topics

6 Replies
Last post August 14, 2015, 01:26:25 PM
by sawguy21
xx
Upgrade or not to upgrade...that is the question.

Started by freesouled on Sawmills and Milling

10 Replies
Last post November 10, 2006, 02:39:52 AM
by ladylake
xx
Mig Welder

Started by MartyParsons on General Board

29 Replies
Last post January 17, 2018, 06:37:36 PM
by Kbeitz
xx
Got a used welder: now what?